Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Lotta text on this page. :p
    So what's the word on yondu? Is that his finished look or do some think he will have a cg fin or something like that?

2. KillerCarlson Registered

If they are smart they will market the hell out of it. Otherwise it could very well turn into this year's The Wolverine. I think they need to make damn sure the public knows its tied in with the Universe.

3. TeeKay Registered

It's possibility but do you think he could pull off Thanos?? Because I haven't seen him in anything yet :csad:

4. Rock Sexton Registered

Getting a bit dramatic are we?

All they have to do is see the Marvel name attached to it and it's instantly going to draw the connection. Making sure people understand it's part of the MCU is the least of it's concerns.

5. Rock Sexton Registered

Suspiciously silent? The movie just recently started freakin' filming. The Collector isn't even the lead antagonist so how does that automatically equate to Thanos "smokescreen"???

We barely know about Korath The Pursuer so does that make it smokescreen for the real character Djimon Hounsou is playing? :doh:

#955 Rock Sexton, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. TeeKay Registered

Good point.

7. Hyde Ooga-Chaka

Ehh... Sexton and Tee both raise good points. It just seems weird to me that Del Toro would be amazing as Thanos, yet he's cast as a side antagonist/anti-hero even though be bears absolutely no resemblance to the comic counterpart. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a smokescreen.

I mean, we all know Marvel aren't against doing that sorta thing... :o

8. TeeKay Registered

After the brilliant Mandarin twit, who knows what Marvel can do at this point?? they've become unpredictable.:o

9. Mr. Dent Registered

You sound like Sam.

10. Mysteryman Registered

Its a weird after effect of the Mandarin twist,
    Now people expect twists where there are probably none.

11. KillerCarlson Registered

Oh, so having Marvel come up on the poster and in the credits is all that is needed? You must have missed Ghost Rider.

The name "Marvel" doesn't automatically mean people will flock to it. Nor does it mean it's part of the MCU film universe that we all elude to. The best thing Thor and Cap had going for it were the teases from previous films. They were set up, bringing the audience back for more with a different superhero.

The average movie go'er has no idea what Guardians of The Galaxy is. Which is why its important to distinguish it most likely with a post credits scene in either Thor or Cap.

12. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

This is the worst CGI I have ever seen. He doesn't even look real. And the debris is clearly from the wrong kinda of spacecraft. What a disappointment.

13. Mr. Dent Registered

They don't have to insert it in Thor or Cap to get people to know about. Claiming no one knows about Guardians is the same as saying no one knows about any new movie property. And Guardians have the Marvel branding working for them.

14. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Putting bias aside, there is reason for some to be concern. With that being said, I think it will be marketed fine, and do solid. I think it may not have the opening weekend the others have, but I think word of mouth will spread, and it will do just fine.

15. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

:gibbs:

16. Xeno That's America's ass!

It's impossible to tell for certain whether they will add Yondu's fin in post, but it seems quite likely. The unfinished look of the base of Rooker's "mohawk" leads me to suspect that he will indeed have more than that when we finally see the finished footage.

Also, the photos where it looked like Rooker was whistling are a neat call-back to Yondu's abilities in the comics. He used a bow and arrow but could direct his arrows' flight by whistling. Sort of whistle-guided missiles. Hawkeye could learn a trick or two from him. :cwink:

Ah, but in the comics Thanos did indeed come down to Earth (and other planets) and do some of his own dirty work. In the case of Drax/Art Douglas and his family, the Mad Titan killed them from his space ship, a fact which Drax learned later from Mentor. That was early days for Thanos, as he was starting his interstellar campaign of genocide and mass slaughter. He doubtless enjoyed spilling a little blood personally at the time. It probably won't go down that way in the MCU, but personally murdering people is part of Thanos' history.

17. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Everyone keeps talking about Thanos as a behind the scenes type guy. I think he will have a massive presence, and like 3-4 scenes. Being, he's the guy who the main villains answer to. The whole 'not doing the dirty work" and "sitting in the shadows" thing will get old really quickly.

Secondly, a lot of it is assumption. As your reply to Dent's comment about "thanos wouldn't...etc..", I agree. In fact, I think it's a bit out of character for Thanos to be JUST, a behind the scenes till his climax, kind of guy. He uses people, but the whole, in the background thing will be tedious.

I keep saying this. By the time Avengers 3 roles around, he's not going to be a guy who comes out of the shadows. I think he is going to be a very well established character at that point. As for gotg, fiege says its "much more" than a turn around and smirk, and he said we get to "learn" about him. Pretty sure. Regardless of how much, or how little "screen time" he has, he WILL have a massive presence in the movie, and more than likely will be name dropped multiple multiple times. That's what i think. 3-4 scenes with a massive presence, and being name dropped through out. I don't think he will be unknown to ALL the main characters

18. Mr. Dent Registered

It doesn't look like there are any CGI markers around the mohawk, and if you look at the shape of it it's very oddly designed if they were going to make it into a giant fin. Not to mention in the comics the fin goes down to the length of his back, and the mohawk here just stops at the back of his head like a normal one. The only thing it looks like they'll do in post is remove the blue paint around Yondu's mohawk.

Plus, I don't think using the fin would be a good idea personally. It looks out of place with the "grounded" space biker/pirate look. The current look is fine imo.

True, but the only place where there is precedent for Thanos having an empire, structured army, and subjugated people (through Ronan no less) is the Ultimate comics, so I'm using that as the template. 616 Thanos is more of a pure space pirate/warlord so he's more active in his conquests.

But yeah, Thanos sends Ronan to handle territories that don't follow his bidding.

19. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

I think the biggest concern is the release date. Can't think of many high earning August films, but I haven't really checked.

20. KillerCarlson Registered

That's what i'm saying you've got a superhero movie that the average superhero film fan has no idea (meaning the actual comic) about coming out at the end of the heated blockbuster season.

People on here can assume that everyone or 90 percent of them at the movies are on here following every detail like us, but they dont. And furthering my point look at this year's Wolverine it should have done big business, a know character with an actor that people like in the title role, and it underperformed. So for people to say there is no cause to worry, is slightly disturbing to me. Because I for one want to see this movie work, this expanding MCU in my opinion hinges on this film's performance.

21. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

The Wolverine underperformed because it was already hobbled by a bad reputation from XMOW. Audiences *did* come out to see Logan's first solo movie, and they got burned; the general public just didn't want to see that again. And from a fanboy perspective, the scope of The Wolverine just wasn't attractive --- it was designed to be a smaller, more personal film, and the villains came from Marvel's D-list.

GOTG has no reputation or preconceptions from audiences to deal with at all. It's going to be a completely unknown quality to everyone. Mix in high-level marquee actors and a high-concept, wide-open space opera thrill ride that doesn't even begin to take itself too seriously, and it's gonna be like Star Wars opening in 1977 all over again.

The only Marvel movie I'm concerned about underperforming is Ant-Man. Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright have completely pulled the rug out from under the mythos on Hank and Janet and isolated a core Avenger into an iffy solo movie that has now become completely redundant. I don't see any reason to waste money on making that movie now.

22. Xeno That's America's ass!

Totally agree about Ant-Man. Marvel should scrap that one and spend the money on a Black Panther movie instead. They'll probably have to push it back into 2016 anyway because the next Bond movie has staked out the same date.

23. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Really?
    I suggest you watch movies like Ché, Traffic, 21 Gramms, Sin City, Snatch, The Usual Suspects, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas or Licence To Kill... because he was fantastic in that

I wouldn't be surprised either. From all the people in the cast, he is the one who really screams 'Thanos' to me

24. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

Edgar Wright wants to make the movie. You let Edgar Wright make the movie because the chances of ending up with the best MCU film to date is very, very high. Just like how you let Joss make an Ultron film when he wants to make an Ultron film, Hank or no Hank.

Edgar Wright wants to make an Ant-Man film, not a Black Panther film.

#974 DarthSkywalker, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  25. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I just don't think The Collector is a mask for Thanos. It seems unlikely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.