Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
the DnA series was fantastic (except for Gamora's costume). I've also been really enjoying the current Bendis series, it's different, but still good. Haven't read the older series, need to get to that. Abigail Brand would be awesome if you want one Earth character to appear (and introduce SWORD).

I know very little about the Guardians of The Galaxy mythos and storyline, but the concept of a band of outlaws, including a bad-ash racoon and a talking tree sounds extremely interesting, plus with the amazing cast all great actors (Well I don't know about Batista) I really hope James Gunn can pull this off and it's a success.

I hope this movie brings a lot of joy to the skeptics.

How does this GOTG storyline relate to the rest of the Marvel universe? Why is it a part of Phase 2? If Thanos is involved, wouldn't it make sense to have GOTG be a part of Phase 3 and the climax of Avengers 3? It seems out of place in Phase 2.

if you guys are looking to read about the original guardians at all (if anything for Yondu) i would suggest you pick up the TPBs tomorrow's avengers volumes 1 and 2...between those 2 you would get all of their appearances prior to the 1990 series.

I'm hopping to see the 90s series reprinted at some point (beyond the quest for the shield tpb that came out 20 years ago) though.

GOTG Annual 4 by the way might be of the most interest to people around here as that is the issue where Yondu discovers his god Anthos is really Thanos and my guess is perhaps that is how Yondu will be tied to Thanos in the movie

How does this GOTG storyline relate to the rest of the Marvel universe? Why is it a part of Phase 2? If Thanos is involved, wouldn't it make sense to have GOTG be a part of Phase 3 and the climax of Avengers 3? It seems out of place in Phase 2.

Because it comes out before Avengers 2.

We'll have to wait and see, of course, but my guess is that part of it is to bring Thanos along slowly as the ultimate villain. If he showed up in GotG and then went straight into A3, there's a pressure to concentrate on him too much in GotG, which doesn't do their story justice. It's a much better plan to slowly reveal just how awesome his power is.

We'll have to wait and see, of course, but my guess is that part of it is to bring Thanos along slowly as the ultimate villain. If he showed up in GotG and then went straight into A3, there's a pressure to concentrate on him too much in GotG, which doesn't do their story justice. It's a much better plan to slowly reveal just how awesome his power is.

HEY, the threat that IS Thanos, like, what his eventual climax will be in Avengers 3, will probably be revealed in this movie, I'd bet.

I don't understand what you mean there. If you mean he'll reach like a final form or something in this movie I doubt it. He'll be threaded through Phase 3 as well leading up to A3 so it doesn't make sense to essentially finish his character arc 4-5 years with 5 movies in between before he faces the Avengers.

I don't understand what you mean there. If you mean he'll reach like a final form or something in this movie I doubt it. He'll be threaded through Phase 3 as well leading up to A3 so it doesn't make sense to essentially finish his character arc 4-5 years with 5 movies in between before he faces the Avengers.

That's not what I mean at all. I just mean with this movie being Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos' long term scope/plans will probably be revealed...meaning, when his Climax happens in avengers 3, I would bet we would have learned of "said" event in gotg.....for example, ultimately, hypothetically, he comes close to completing the IG, or gets the IG in Avengers 3 for his climax.

But we would learn, of the IG more than likely in gotg, and that Thanos has intentions of getting it, we just don't see him finally come close to, or completing this objective till avengers 3. Especially where it most certainly does seem like Thanos will have a decent role in this movie.

I don't think we'll hear anything about their history. Maybe just a quick mention of Knowhere being a Celestial head and leave it at that.

Please Please don't let the Celestials speak audibly(sp?) :jedi :cmad:

PS: Thor #300!! BABY!! \o/

I like how Marvel is handling Thanos. He's not just brought into a movie and then killed off...he's so epic that his plot travels through multiple films.

There's something that I think is worth speculating.

It's confirmed Thanos is in the movie. Given by what was said, it seems as if he is going to have a powerful role. Filming has started..why haven't we had any casting news?

Probably because it's a bit part again orrr maybe it's Vin Diesel. ;)

There's something that I think is worth speculating.

It's confirmed Thanos is in the movie. Given by what was said, it seems as if he is going to have a powerful role. Filming has started..why haven't we had any casting news?
Because he either doesn't have any speaking lines or the role is so small they can cast it far into production.

Ronan/Korath/Nebula are going to be acting on Thanos's behalf. As I've been saying, he'll be the mastermind but he won't have a big role himself physically.

Probably because it's a bit part again orrr maybe it's Vin Diesel. ;)

LOL ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Because he either doesn't have any speaking lines or the role is so small they can cast it far into production.

Ronan/Korath/Nebula are going to be acting on Thanos's behalf. As I've been saying, he'll be the mastermind but he won't have a big role himself physically.

And I still disagree :cwink:

I just don't see how. Why do you think they haven't cast him yet? He doesn't have a big role in the film. We know for fact that Ronan/Korath/Nebula will be acting on Thanos's behalf and Ronan was called the film's main villain by Joblo. It seems highly unlikely Thanos will have any type of physically large role in the film at all.

Given, I don't know what you're imagining specifically, but from your posts, it sounds like you think he will be actively involved himself and will have a bunch of lines and be very prevalent...which simply can't be the cast with him not being cast this late into production. They're over a month in and still no news.

My bet is he will be like Emperor Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back and speak to Ronan through a hologram in one scene in the movie...if that. Otherwise they'll just cut to shots of him looking menacing without saying anything like Ernst Stavro Blofeld in From Russia With Love.

I just don't see how. Why do you think they haven't cast him yet? He doesn't have a big role in the film. We know for fact that Ronan/Korath/Nebula will be acting on Thanos's behalf and Ronan was called the film's main villain by Joblo. It seems highly unlikely Thanos will have any type of physically large role in the film at all.

Given, I don't know what you're imagining specifically, but from your posts, it sounds like you think he will be actively involved himself and will have a bunch of lines and be very prevalent...which simply can't be the cast with him not being cast this late into production. They're over a month in and still no news.

My bet is he will be like Emperor Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back and speak to Ronan through a hologram in one scene in the movie...if that. Otherwise they'll just cut to shots of him looking menacing without saying anything like Ernst Stavro Blofeld in From Russia With Love.

I think he'll be like Emperor Palpatine, but I just think he'll have a solid like..3-7 scenes in the movie, with some dialogue.

and again as I said before, even if we knew he DID have a large role, I don't think they would announce it, as Thanos' casting would arguable the biggest casting news in the MCU

Doesn't matter if they announce it themselves. THR, Deadline, one of the trades would have definitely picked up on a Thanos casting. On top of that, if he had a large role I'm certain the actor would have been out and about with the rest of the cast at SDCC.

I was sure Feige or someone at Comic Con said Thanos wouldn't have a large role in GotG.

He said something along the lines of "We'll see Thanos in GotG."

I'm not sure one way or the other how much screen time he'll get, but my guess is his casting doesn't have to be done right away. Like Rocket and Groot, he'll probably be CGI, so you can wait to bring him into the studio. On the other hand, unlike Rocket and Groot, you'd probably want the actor to do mo-cap if there's any movement at all.

In the end, I don't care. I just want to see Thanos in some capacity.

They're not making Thanos CGI. They went out of their way to put a guy in prosthetics in Avengers and that would have been the easiest time to make him CGI. And having your main villain be a big CGI character the entire movie is too expensive. They could only have Hulk in Avengers twice. Having Thanos be CGI would be like having Banner in Hulk mode for a whole movie.

They're not making Thanos CGI. They went out of their way to put a guy in prosthetics in Avengers and that would have been the easiest time to make him CGI. And having your main villain be a big CGI character the entire movie is too expensive. They could only have Hulk in Avengers twice. Having Thanos be CGI would be like having Banner in Hulk mode for a whole movie.

I think you're wrong there. He needs to be CGI, just like Hulk needed to be. They didn't do it in Avengers because you only saw his head, and it was a stand-in head at that. Thanos needs to be as big, if not bigger than Hulk.

The "too expensive" argument doesn't cut it. By A3, they'll be swimming in cash. Plus, if you don't have to animate an entire army around him, there's more money to put towards his scenes.

Hellboy wasn't CGI, and he looked great.

I think you're wrong there. He needs to be CGI, just like Hulk needed to be. They didn't do it in Avengers because you only saw his head, and it was a stand-in head at that. Thanos needs to be as big, if not bigger than Hulk.

The "too expensive" argument doesn't cut it. By A3, they'll be swimming in cash. Plus, if you don't have to animate an entire army around him, there's more money to put towards his scenes.

Isn't Thanos smaller than hulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"