Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I think you're close.

I think that these gems already exist. The energies of them currently reside in these relics.

2. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

Yep, I definitely think that is a possibility. Thanos "returning" the energy back to the gems.

3. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Yeah, I don't think the stones are "replacement" to the infinity gems in the comics.

I think there will be legitimate gems in the MCU. Perhaps this way makes it more believable.

4. TheVileOne Registered

They are doing something different.

You know what Batman show was successful and had a lot of wacky ****?

This one.

[YT]MixXnzefsBA[/YT]

Was on for 65 episodes.

The more serious show?

[YT]gjS4E8-uUzU[/YT]

Sucked and pulled after 9 episodes.

5. Whiskey Tango Registered

If doing something different was all that was required they could have filmed Loeb crapping all over a copy of EMH season 1 dvd and put it on Disney XD. Nobody's ever seen that before! Instant success!

Except it doesn't quite work that way.

6. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Well... At least they're just cartoons and were all adults lol.

But I did enjoy EMH, would have liked to see it continue. Has that Avengers Assemble show premiered? If so, is it good?

7. Smooth4LIF Registered

Kind of crazy that my first ever post will be in a thread about a movie being made for a comic that I don't even follow (big time Spider-Man fan at heart, ever since the late 80's/early 90's). Been a long-time lurker on these forums -- for years -- long before SHH came to cover as much as it does now, and I've always had a great time following along with the very opinionated views of the subculture of society that actually care about the movies and how they turn out, all these films that are turning our childhood favorites into film screen realities. I have the most time to browse/read the forums while at work, oddly enough, but the proxy restrictions (because of how parts of the site are categorized) do not allow me to LOG IN to the forums even though I can freely READ the forums all day long ... lol ... which is what stopped me from feeling a stronger need to register in the first place all these years. Well, I think it's time to finally jump into the fire, as it were. Feels good to be a part of the Hype! :up:

Anyways ... lol ... back on topic and off the tangent. Someone else already suggested that there's a strong possibility that we're not yet supposed to have the full picture yet, which I agree with, and I think it's very plausible that we'll be brought deeper into the world of the Infinity Gauntlet, the stones/gems, and why it's going to be as devastating a threat as it's going to become. You have to create intrigue by dropping hints and tidbits of information along the way (i.e. breadcrumbs) and I think they're successfully accomplishing what they're setting out to do. They want us to keep coming back, to keep watching for the next piece of the puzzle, whether we're a "fanboy" or a casual viewer of the general audience. Sure, doing so brings in more money for Marvel, but it's a win/win because we keep getting more of what we want.

I'm pretty sure we're going to get more of a back story, not only in GotG but also through more hints and cameos that will surely be coming in CA:TWS, TA:AoU, and most if not all of Phase 3. With only being clearly shown 2 of the pieces thus far (Tesseract and Aether), it's going at about the right speed. Hell, even for those of us on the forums -- the ones that follow these movies way closer than your average viewer -- it's working, because we're openly discussing all of it, arguing the fine details, and dreaming up what's next. They've got all kinds of time and options to give us the explanation we need. If Thanos is being reserved for the third Avengers movie, I'm pretty sure the original source of the stones/gems will be known by that time, and the overall bigger picture will also be more evident as well, especially with how the Infinity Gems have been influencing the MCU since the very beginning (since it's implied that the tampering/harnessing of the Tesseract itself during the events of CA:TFA played a role in the early creation of arc reactor technology, thus having an indirect presence in even IM1).

Personally, I would be banking on the side that they've all originally came from a source that we'll be educated on later (probably explained by Thanos on-screen when that time comes -- likely GotG or TA3). It's the perfect opportunity to explain how they work together and why he wants them. I wouldn't think we're even supposed to know, at this point, those specific details and why he wants to harness their powers together. Especially for the general audience. Even though some (if not all) Asgardians know of the Infinity Stones and that they're clearly powerful, we don't even have confirmation that they know how many there are. And even if they do, it's very possible that we may learn more of their history from the people of Asgard (like we did in T:TDW) via another Odin speech or Thor himself. What we do know, at least for now, is that we're being shown how devastating and powerful these forces are individually, and it'll make it that much more intimidating when the reveal brings it all together as a combined force.

And I would also be willing to bet that Thanos and Loki are still in at least some kind of collusion, even if only to the extent that they both believe they're benefiting from the other's current positioning. Thanos has an "inside man" in charge of Asgard, and if the Collector is working for Thanos in some capacity (and I don't see how that isn't the case since the Collector was shown to clearly known what these gems are, and how many), Thanos also now personally has (at least) one for himself. Loki wins because he has Asgard and can rule over it as he's always wanted. I'm sure Thanos, if what I'm suggesting is even true, would later acquire the Tesseract when the time comes and the truth about the gems' combined powers won't be fully understood on Loki's part at the time, so he won't even see the issue with letting him have it, as long as he still thinks he's getting what HE wants. Either all that, or Thanos takes it by force, which I'm sure he'll be fully capably of and would be a treat to see on screen. :yay: If Loki is masquerading as Odin for any extended period of time, I can't see how he would willingly have the "Aether" sent away from Asgard unless he (a) was still working on some level WITH Thanos out of either fear or free will, and (b) didn't understand the magnitude of all the forces together. Thanos may even have Odin locked away somewhere to allow Loki to keep his charade up.

But that's just my opinion, lol. Once again ... glad to finally share it!

8. Naji Assan Registered

Great first post. Welcome.

9. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Great post and welcome Smooth! Gotta love reading a detailed and well thought out post, you've clearly put your work in lol! Be careful in those Spidey forums, they can get messy haha.

10. Smooth4LIF Registered

lol, hasn't been too bad lately. Everybody is so ecstatic that they finally got the costume right, they're ignoring other potential flaws. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for what ASM2 potentially could be, but I'm not crazy about the inclusion of Harry Goblin v2.0. Unless it ends up being a failed attempt and Norman becomes one later, I have a bad feeling I'm not going to like it. It's not a "too many villains" thing; it's a "give me traditional representations of my classic villains" thing. You can alter and update to whatever medium/time you need to, but I don't see how this Harry Goblin is going to be that much better than the other take on it during the Raimi trilogy.

Thanks for the welcome, though! Glad to finally be a part of the community. I won't take things too far off topic, though ... so ... for this film, I think the best amount of Thanos would be as small as possible, to make his later presence against the Avengers that much more menacing and impactful. I wouldn't necessarily complain if he played practically a starring role somehow in GotG, but we know that's unrealistic, nor should they do that. I want a tease barely larger than what happened in TA, but still a tease ... if that makes any sense, lol.

11. Hyde Ooga-Chaka

Somebody here provided a decent explanation for the Aether a couple of pages back. It was said in the film that Malekith created it out of the darkness/a force, right? There are six, metaphysical "forces" that either predate or were around at the very beginning of the universe, and over time certain smart individuals have figured out how to house those energies and turn them into weapons. Creating the Infinity Stones.

Now, there's also the idea that these power the Gems on the Gauntlet but I doubt that will happen. That means there's six weapons of mass destruction out there - the Collector has one, and Asgard has another, and the Guardians will soon come into the possession of the third. Maybe Ronan created "The Orb"?

12. misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

welcome, the more people to speculate with the better.

i'm guessing quill steals/finds the time gem in guardians of the galaxy. he could mistake it for some fancy data recorder with all the important information on it. he sees all these events from the past. then he starts seeing things from the future. he realizes this thing is more than what it appears. he might get a glimpse of thanos and his plans for the stones. quill might also stumble upon some time manipulation. like slow or speed up time when entering a certain radius of the orb. with the time gem in gotg we could get a better understanding of the stones. we could see the origin or at least the history of how they came to be spread throughout the universe.

all this is dependant on whether the orb is the time gem, of course.

13. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

That would be Cool!

14. AlexanderLykins Registered

I thought after Taneleer Tivan's wife died and he went on a extreme binge collecting after seeing Thanos destroying the universe in a vision?

#889 AlexanderLykins, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  15. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well if you THINK about it a STONE really isn't a GEM.
    A stone is in a rough state, a GEM is a polished state, could be Thanos does the COSMIC POLISHING of the stones for the Glove

16. misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

I think the name "stone" is just what certain cultures might call them. Like the asgardians. Everyone probably calls the gems something different. So I wouldn't think the name stone is anything to ponder to heavily.

17. coluanprime Registered

Some people are complaining that we seem to have two sets of stones but for all we know the gauntlet we saw in Thor could be the real gauntlet but not neccesarily have the real gems, the gems in the glove could just be fakes for show.

18. Vartha Mod of Thunder

the thing it we REALLY don't know how many "stones" there are in the MCU.
    Remember Loki said in Avengers that Fury had A Tesseract suggesting there's more than one tesseract.
    Not only that the tesseract/cube would hardly fit into the Gauntlet. Where the gem in the Destiny Spear it the proper shape and does have the same powers as the Tesseract.
    For all we know at THIS point, there are probably hundreds of these infinity stones, yet only a few work together in certain ways

19. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I still think the Infinity Gems EXIST

Stones =/=Gems.

I still say these stones house the energies of these gems, for whatever reason, perhaps we find out in GotG? Or we find out in a GotG sequel, titled, Infinity Watch

20. HunBoy Captain Hungary

Remember all the rumors about the after credits scene for IM3 would tie in to the GOTG movie...what if it is the other way around now?

Credits roll for GOTG -> Audience waits for the obligatory mid/after credits scene -> Suddenly we are in....New York? -> We see Tony Stark working on a strange looking suit of armor. On a screen behind him we see something to indicate the suit is made for space travel. -> Suddenly the screen flickers and we see one of the Guardians sending a distress signal. -> Tony looks towards the screen in shock, then at the suit, then up at the sky.

I really feel that this could work, and the fact that the general consensus is that this scene (or something similar) was the original plan for the after credits scene in IM 3...

Problem? :D

#895 HunBoy, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  21. Broseph44 Witness Me

The gauntlet seen in thor had the gems in it but it's possible they haven't been filled with the power yet. As others have said perhaps the powers of these gems/stones is in the relics, the tesseract/aether/orb. Perhaps once Thanos gets all the relics he is able to channel the power into the gems which are already on the gauntlet. He still needs to obtain the gauntlet though.

22. hopeless Registered

Doesn't Quill get his hands on a version of the Cosmic Cube allowing him to match up against Thanos and others?

Now if the Tesseract is the Marvel Movie Universe version of the Cosmic Cube and the stone adorning Loki's spear is of suitable size maybe Quill acquires that whilst on Earth due to a vision from the Time Gem?

They seem to be having a focus on the 80's which originally sounded like that's where Quill originated from with some event back then being responsible for him being far out in space.

Now the comic run indicates he became a pilot on Earth and either stole or accepted a mission that sent him into outer space... which sounds more likely for the movie?

They showed pictures of Yondu standing within sight of the wreckage of a space ship, now Quill's back story is that his father was from outer space and Quill's mother was killed by an assassin sent to kill them both by a relation of his father.

Suppose Yondu intervened and took the kid with him raising him out in space where his ties to earth involve a tape Walkman with a limited choice of music ergo why that song is so prominent... this would explain how he got there, make more sense than him being a US Pilot out in space and make an interesting story line where he's literally from another time period as far as anyone from modern day earth would be concerned...

I'm thinking Buck Rogers but with added Han Solo since... hmm maybe Cade Skywalker without the force messing him up... no I'm fairly sure the Han Solo part is more accurate!

23. Rock Sexton Registered

I can perfectly picture this scene in my head.

24. Smooth4LIF Registered

I can get behind the idea that the powers are to be harnessed into the gems, be it because he needs all of them to do so or because Thanos is one of the few (maybe only one) that knows how. They clearly don't physically fit into the Gauntlet's currently attached "gems" as it is, and in a way, it's a perfect way for Marvel to hide what they are until their later purpose is revealed. Maybe beings like Malekith have attempted to harness it in improper ways, which would include Red Skull's attempts (and I guess SHIELD), but Thanos is the one that's actually capable and/or aware of doing so. As far as the Gauntlet itself goes, he may or may not know where that is. It depends on how much Marvel wants to put into his quest. Maybe most of it is revealed in TA3, or dropped in more hints in Phase 3. Either way, I don't want to know on-screen more than we know, at this point anyway.

The Quill thing is different. At least in my opinion, I don't think he should be a pilot on Earth as it seems far more believable that he was taken to space as a child and grows up around alien technology. I hate it when movies try to get away with someone knowing how to fly alien ships just because they can pilot a human plane (i.e. Will Smith in ID4). Thor knowing how in T:TDW was a bit of a stretch as well, but with him being "alien" himself I don't let it bother me as much; maybe Asgardians know how to fly those vessels.

Anyway, I would much rather Quill be raised in outer space instead of taken there as an adult. This way, it's a plausible way to have the 80's era be involved and his "aging" to the present not be an issue. If he's an adult and in the 80's, you have to explain away why he's still in his 20's/30's a good 30 years later. Yeah, yeah ... "time gem" ... I get that could be a reason, but I'd much rather it be like some of you said and that it will supply "visions" into the future/past rather than it transporting people around or stopping them from aging. Thanos might be able to get it to do more, of course, but Quill (and whoever else that gets their hands on it) shouldn't be able to harness it for all its potential.

25. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

:highfive:

Yep, the spent Stones on the floor, dark, energy no longer flowing through them. Thanos with his gauntlet, the Gems shining bright, alive with energy. That knowing grin. Would be a great mid-credit scene for the film that precedes the Avengers 3 imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.