Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
:highfive:

Yep, the spent Stones on the floor, dark, energy no longer flowing through them. Thanos with his gauntlet, the Gems shining bright, alive with energy. That knowing grin. Would be a great mid-credit scene for the film that precedes the Avengers 3 imo.

:up: That post credit scene in the Avengers when he stood up and turned his head and smile had fanboys geeking out. My body was not even ready for that. Now what you're describing here is something of EPIC proportions.:woot:

My theory, A long time ago Thanos collected a massive amount of various energies, and created the gems to store the energies. A massive war ensues, and Thanos loses the gems/gauntlet. whomever defeats Thanos decides the power is too great for any one being to wield, so the power is split and put into different artifacts/stones. Thanos has spent ages looking for the stones and has finally found one on Earth, hence the smile at the Avenegrs mid-credits scene.

:highfive:

Yep, the spent Stones on the floor, dark, energy no longer flowing through them. Thanos with his gauntlet, the Gems shining bright, alive with energy. That knowing grin. Would be a great mid-credit scene for the film that precedes the Avengers 3 imo.

:up:

:up: That post credit scene in the Avengers when he stood up and turned his head and smile had fanboys geeking out. My body was not even ready for that. Now what you're describing here is something of EPIC proportions.:woot:
The mid-credit scene from the Avengers still gets me hyped. It is all kinds of perfect. :awesome:

And considering Thanos' original mid-credit scene, I think a scene like the one I described would be a nice bookend. Ending on his huge grin once again, knowing what is to come next.

Thanks, and of course welcome to the madhouse. :)

My question is, how would Thanos know more about the Aether and how it works than the leader of a race that supposedly "predates the universe itself" who's used it in the past? The Dark Elves existed before there was ANYTHING else, there was NOTHING, including Thanos. That's kind of hard to wrap your head around.

Hmm Thanos is an Eternal isn't he?

Could be this might result in...

Dark Elf creates a way to weaponize the Reality Gem's power... they don't let anyone else know who told them how to do that and since the Asgardians couldn't find any dark Elves who knew how it was done Malekith got the credit...

Well if Thanos can get Loki working for him then why not Malekith?

We don't have proof that Thanos himself doesn't also predate the universe, or that what Odin and Asgardians believe is actual history. The movies already established that humans would believe people like Thor to have been gods, especially before the events of these movies. What's to say the Asgardians had an opinion of who the eldest race was but weren't entirely correct? We may even get an explanation that describes Thanos as predating all of them, potentially responsible for these energies existing in the first place. Lots of possibilities. It would be hard to imagine that, with Marvel being completely in charge of the continuity and overall story, that it won't end up making sense somehow. This isn't Fox's X-Men franchise (which hopefully gets resolved by DOFP).

And I could be wrong. Maybe Thanos doesn't predate these races, but perhaps comes upon the knowledge of how they all work together in some other fashion. Too hard to tell at this point. I've got nothing but faith based upon what's come thus far. :yay:

The mid-credit scene from the Avengers still gets me hyped. It is all kinds of perfect. :awesome:

And considering Thanos' original mid-credit scene, I think a scene like the one I described would be a nice bookend. Ending on his huge grin once again, knowing what is to come next.

It would be perfect imo. It's still one of the best mid-credit scene though. The Nick Fury in IM1 and the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins were great too! Probably my favourite. :')

My question is, how would Thanos know more about the Aether and how it works than the leader of a race that supposedly "predates the universe itself" who's used it in the past? The Dark Elves existed before there was ANYTHING else, there was NOTHING, including Thanos. That's kind of hard to wrap your head around.

This is something we would have to wait and see in either GOTG or the Avengers 3.

Oh don't gimme that.

They could easily cater to both like EMH did. There are plenty of adults that like the guardians as well. But because we won't buy the toys we don't deserve good animated shows ?

Kids will pretty much watch anything thats animated and dumbing these things down to the point where our children no longer need to think or pay an iota of attention is of benefit to no one.

As an adult who loves a good cartoon, I will be the first to say that the absolute priority should be making a show that kids will love. Whether or not it appeals to adults also is secondary: if it does, that's a bonus. The main thing should be capturing the audiences of kids and building them up into the comic fans of tomorrow like shows like BTAS or the 90s X-Men/Spider-Man cartoons captured my imagination as a kid and made me want to explore comics as I got older.

I think we're thinking about it wrong if we're thinking, "This needs to be a show for both kids and hardcore adult GOTG fans." We should be looking at it more as, "How can we make the best show possible for kids that isn't going to insult their intelligence, and which will still hold up as they get older and look back at it rather than being disposable crap that only exists to sell toys." And in doing that, in making a show that talks up to kids rather than talking down to them, that's really also the secret to drawing in teens and adults too, because good TV is good TV, no matter what age it's catered to.

Last edited:
We don't have proof that Thanos himself doesn't also predate the universe, or that what Odin and Asgardians believe is actual history. The movies already established that humans would believe people like Thor to have been gods, especially before the events of these movies. What's to say the Asgardians had an opinion of who the eldest race was but weren't entirely correct? We may even get an explanation that describes Thanos as predating all of them, potentially responsible for these energies existing in the first place. Lots of possibilities. It would be hard to imagine that, with Marvel being completely in charge of the continuity and overall story, that it won't end up making sense somehow. This isn't Fox's X-Men franchise (which hopefully gets resolved by DOFP).

And I could be wrong. Maybe Thanos doesn't predate these races, but perhaps comes upon the knowledge of how they all work together in some other fashion. Too hard to tell at this point. I've got nothing but faith based upon what's come thus far. :yay:

Yeah, if they retcon the freakin' Dark Elves into pre-dating the Universe, they can certainly do the same for a race called "The Eternals." In the comics, Thanos' race is about 5 million years old, but who knows what other cosmic retcons are in store for the MCU.

And again, the Dark Elf retcon makes absolutely no sense, because the writers would have us believe that it took 14+ billion years (i.e., the age of the universe's existence) for these albino knockoffs from Frank Miller's "300" to decide it was time to launch their ill-fated campaign to turn out the lights. Total B.S.

One explanation is from the comics. Thanos gazed into the infinity well, and discovered the gems true nature. So he knew more than the elders of the universe about the gems. So if you take that into account then who's to say movie Thanos couldn't have a similar experience.

Jeez Sam hates the Dark Elves more than people hate Skye on AoS or Laurel on Arrow or The Mandarin twist combined lol.

As an adult who loves a good cartoon, I will be the first to say that the absolute priority should be making a show that kids will love. Whether or not it appeals to adults also is secondary: if it does, that's a bonus. The main thing should be capturing the audiences of kids and building them up into the comic fans of tomorrow like shows like BTAS or the 90s X-Men/Spider-Man cartoons captured my imagination as a kid and made me want to explore comics as I got older.

I think we're thinking about it wrong if we're thinking, "This needs to be a show for both kids and hardcore adult GOTG fans." We should be looking at it more as, "How can we make the best show possible for kids that isn't going to insult their intelligence, and which will still hold up as they get older and look back at it rather than being disposable crap that only exists to sell toys." And in doing that, in making a show that talks up to kids rather than talking down to them, that's really also the secret to drawing in teens and adults too, because good TV is good TV, no matter what age it's catered to.

Thing is, the new Marvel shows are successful and appealing to kids, and hardcore fans can't stand it. They can't stand that Ultimate Spider-Man has been more successful than anything the DC Universe block has put out. The DC Universe block has been a complete and utter failure. Beware the Batman can't even get on the schedule.

A new Guardians of the Galaxy show is a great idea to build the Guardians brand and awareness around the characters. These shows like you said are gateways for kids into the Marvel Universe. And that's essentially what Hulk, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Avengers Assemble are doing.

Jeez Sam hates the Dark Elves more than people hate Skye on AoS or Laurel on Arrow or The Mandarin twist combined lol.
To be fair, I kind of agree with him. They were very boring and had no real motivation beyond "we're evil." I'm also kind of confused about that whole "they predate the universe" thing and how exactly that works. The movie didn't explain that very well at all.

Yeah, if they retcon the freakin' Dark Elves into pre-dating the Universe, they can certainly do the same for a race called "The Eternals." In the comics, Thanos' race is about 5 million years old, but who knows what other cosmic retcons are in store for the MCU.

And again, the Dark Elf retcon makes absolutely no sense, because the writers would have us believe that it took 14+ billion years (i.e., the age of the universe's existence) for these albino knockoffs from Frank Miller's "300" to decide it was time to launch their ill-fated campaign to turn out the lights. Total B.S.

They didn't decide it was time for anything. The release of the Aether reactivated them.

This. The Elves were weak. I'd hate to see them deviate from the source in favor of them.

They didn't decide it was time for anything. The release of the Aether reactivated them.

I'm talking about the *first* time. The time that Malekith (allegedly) decided to invent the Aether to "bring back the dark" in the first place. Hell, the "lights" had been on for 14 freakin' billion years, but he didn't decide until exactly 5000 years ago that it was starting to hurt his eyes or something....? Okay.

People are still talking about Malekith and the Aether?:doh: I'm out for now. Malekith was a **** villain and had weak motivations, but the stuff regarding the Aether was explained clearly in the film by Odin, how are people failing to comprehend this? Some of you guys need to pay attention in the film, not everything has to be spoon fed to you through exposition. The Aether is an infinity stone but this appears in a more liquid state than the other stones according to Odin. Malekith created it out of darkness and it's sole purpose is to destroy everything. That is all there is to know. I'm willing to wait until GOTG to see how all this is connected. But for now...

3547302-peace.gif

Last edited:
It's rumoured than Alan Taylor was forced to cut some of Malekith and the dark Elves stuff that would of gave them more depth. I guess we will have to wait and see on the Blu-Ray deleted scenes.

It's rumoured than Alan Taylor was forced to cut some of Malekith and the dark Elves stuff that would of gave them more depth. I guess we will have to wait and see on the Blu-Ray deleted scenes.
It's not a rumor. Both Taylor and Christopher Eccleston have said on several occasions that a lot of Malekith's character-building and motivation-establishing scenes were cut out of the movie. There was this backstory about his culture and about his family being slaughtered by Thor's grandfather, and stuff like that. You know, scenes that would explain why he's doing what he's doing, but it wasn't in the final film.

I'm talking about the *first* time. The time that Malekith (allegedly) decided to invent the Aether to "bring back the dark" in the first place. Hell, the "lights" had been on for 14 freakin' billion years, but he didn't decide until exactly 5000 years ago that it was starting to hurt his eyes or something....? Okay.
We have no information when Malekith came to power (his father could have been a pacifist hippie or tried to bring the Darkness back before but failed numerous times) or how often he tried to destroy the universe before or how long it took him to invent and develop the Aether (stuff like that needs time, you know?)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the term "darkness" should be taken literally. I took it as partially literal in that they existed before the stars we know, etc., but also that it was a term used to define the reign of the Dark Elves. Light doesn't hurt them as was evidenced by the entire movie where they were in the light the whole time.

Just because the universe was born around them doesn't mean they were initially threatened. With no threat, there's no reason to create the Aether. It's only when people like the Asgardians come around that they devised the weapon. Bor recognized what was happening and tried to take Malekith out. He ultimately failed to do that, but he neutralized the main threat to Asgard, which was the Aether.

People are still talking about Malekith and the Aether?:doh: I'm out for now. Malekith was a **** villain and had weak motivations, but the stuff regarding the Aether was explained clearly in the film by Odin, how are people failing to comprehend this? Some of you guys need to pay attention in the film, not everything has to be spoon fed to you through exposition. The Aether is an infinity stone but this appears in a more liquid state than the other stones according to Odin. Malekith created it out of darkness and it's sole purpose is to destroy everything. That is all there is to know. I'm willing to wait until GOTG to see how all this is connected. But for now...

3547302-peace.gif

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the term "darkness" should be taken literally. I took it as partially literal in that they existed before the stars we know, etc., but also that it was a term used to define the reign of the Dark Elves. Light doesn't hurt them as was evidenced by the entire movie where they were in the light the whole time.

Just because the universe was born around them doesn't mean they were initially threatened. With no threat, there's no reason to create the Aether. It's only when people like the Asgardians come around that they devised the weapon. Bor recognized what was happening and tried to take Malekith out. He ultimately failed to do that, but he neutralized the main threat to Asgard, which was the Aether.

Perhaps the Aether was made out of the infinity gem's energy.

So the age of the universe in the marvel cinematic universe is not the same.

We have no information when Malekith came to power (his father could have been a pacifist hippie or tried to bring the Darkness back before but failed numerous times) or how often he tried to destroy the universe before or how long it took him to invent and develop the Aether (stuff like that needs time, you know?)

Fourteen. Billion. Years.
If they *really* felt the need to go back to the darkness before time, shouldn't somebody have said something by now? And yes, we can speculate and infer and make up all we want to about what *might* have happened during all those eons, but the bottom line is that it's one helluva doozy of a gaping plot hole.

How were the Asgardians a threat to *them,* when *they* -- the Dark Elves -- were the invaders? They attacked Asgard first, and were driven back to their homeworld of Svartalfheim, where the final battle took place.

So the age of the universe in the marvel cinematic universe is not the same.

Since when? There's a few minor alterations to history as we know it in the MCU, but I've never heard or read about a change as massive as the age of the universe. Have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"