Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Anyone else a little bummed that it looks like we may not see Vol. 3 until 2023 given the news of Ant-Man 3? Obviously the Gunn situation is to blame for the delay, but its amazing to think that we may go six years between films.

Anyone else a little bummed that it looks like we may not see Vol. 3 until 2023 given the news of Ant-Man 3? Obviously the Gunn situation is to blame for the delay, but its amazing to think that we may go six years between films.

Yes but Disney overreacted to James Gunn Twitter-gate. What can you do?

Surprised this wasn't picked up here, but Gunn revealed recently that he expects Vol. 3 to start filming for another year:

James Gunn Won't Start Filming Guardians of the Galaxy 3 For Another "Year or So"

In which case a 2022 release seem plausible. My guess is that it would take the July slot for that year as BP2 was already announced for May, and the February and October slots seem like they would be an odd fit.

^ Guessing once production gets under way they'll either put it in May or August 23

It is crazy how long since Volume 2 we'll have ended up waiting for Volume 3. Not to dive into the history since it is what it is.

Though mostly back to think about this movie since I did end up rewatching the last Guardian movies. Needed a breather from the MCU after feeling pretty satisfied by how things played out with Endgame. Though on a side note it did leave me a bit more sad watching the first movie. Realizing that despite Gamora being satisfied with the idea of dying among her friends...she really didn't get that opportunity. Going out as she had lived much of her life...surrounded by enemies.

This is still the superhero movie I'm most excited to see out of all the ones coming out in the next few years. The Guardians movies are both fun, but have their emotional moments too. They don't get out of situations without paying a price. Whatever the story is for Volume 3, I'm sure it will be excellent.

GotG Vol 3 is definitely the movie I'm the most looking forward to, no matter how long I have to wait for it

With Adam being a thing and Gamora being gone (edit: as in we don’t know where she is and Quill is looking for her) there is so much they could do with the characters. And probably a lot of angst, which I'm always happy for. Peter Quill angst is best angst imo.

Last edited:
...so, at the end of Endgame, Thor goes off with the Guardians. Thor 4 will be out long before Guardians 3, so how do we figure that’s going to work out?

Are the Guardians going to appear at the start of Thor 4 - dropping him off somewhere? Or is Thor just going to appear somewhere and speak of the Guardians as having deserted him or something?

With Adam being a thing and Gamora being gone there is so much they could do with the characters. And probably a lot of angst, which I'm always happy for. Peter Quill angst is best angst imo.
Where is this confirmed? I know she wasn’t with the crew at the end of Endgame, but she did have a devotion to her sister, and Nebula would’ve likely joined Quill and a Rocket. Gamora can’t be far behind.

Where is this confirmed? I know she wasn’t with the crew at the end of Endgame, but she did have a devotion to her sister, and Nebula would’ve likely joined Quill and a Rocket. Gamora can’t be far behind.

Oh no, when I said gone, I meant gone off on her own, like solo not dead.

I worded that wrong, my bad.

Oh no, when I said gone, I meant gone off on her own, like solo not dead.

I worded that wrong, my bad.
It’s okay, I didn’t misread, I was instead asking where you heard or read that she was gone off on her own. Has this been stated anywhere or is it an assumption based upon the end of Endgame?

...so, at the end of Endgame, Thor goes off with the Guardians. Thor 4 will be out long before Guardians 3, so how do we figure that’s going to work out?

Are the Guardians going to appear at the start of Thor 4 - dropping him off somewhere? Or is Thor just going to appear somewhere and speak of the Guardians as having deserted him or something?
Good point actually. I would have liked to see him do his thing with the Guardians first and then move onto Thor 4.

Good point actually. I would have liked to see him do his thing with the Guardians first and then move onto Thor 4.
From what I’ve read, James Gunn isn’t (or wasn’t) too keen on the idea of writing Guardians 3 involving Thor, which I suppose works out now cause Thor 4 will be out before Guardians 3.

Maybe they’ll have a little flashback to connect the dots, but it seems evident that Thor isn’t going to be in Guardians 3 - simply because his 4th film will come long before. It’s doubtful they’ll play around with prequel business here.

From what I’ve read, James Gunn isn’t (or wasn’t) too keen on the idea of writing Guardians 3 involving Thor, which I suppose works out now cause Thor 4 will be out before Guardians 3.

Maybe they’ll have a little flashback to connect the dots, but it seems evident that Thor isn’t going to be in Guardians 3 - simply because his 4th film will come long before. It’s doubtful they’ll play around with prequel business here.
Oh right. Shame as I bet a lot of viewers were expecting/looking forward to seeing that combo. But no point if Gunn wasn't planning that/not up for it. Thor can be quite a dominant and all powerful character so it could overshadow the Guardians story and sense of genuine risk otherwise I guess.

It’s okay, I didn’t misread, I was instead asking where you heard or read that she was gone off on her own. Has this been stated anywhere or is it an assumption based upon the end of Endgame?

Oh, it’s based off a deleted Endgame scene. In that scene everybody kneels in front of Tony after he dies, and we see Gamora just leave.

Oh, it’s based off a deleted Endgame scene. In that scene everybody kneels in front of Tony after he dies, and we see Gamora just leave.
Ah, I've seen that scene too, and can understand why people may think that, however, firstly it's a deleted scene (so does it matter?) and secondly, out of all the characters in that scene, Gamora is the only one time displaced, and also the only one that had no interaction with Tony. Why would she mourn someone she didn't even know, let alone hear about?

It would be the equivalent of you going to a funeral to your neighbours 2nd cousins son's sister-in-law's step fathers brothers wife or some concoction. :p Gamora probably just figured "oh well, another dead human." Shortly before her appearance in the present, she was battling for Thanos on another world. She's not the same Gamora we've come to know pre Endgame. The Gamora of Guardians is dead. This Gamora is a new Gamora.

Ah, I've seen that scene too, and can understand why people may think that, however, firstly it's a deleted scene (so does it matter?) and secondly, out of all the characters in that scene, Gamora is the only one time displaced, and also the only one that had no interaction with Tony. Why would she mourn someone she didn't even know, let alone hear about?

It would be the equivalent of you going to a funeral to your neighbours 2nd cousins son's sister-in-law's step fathers brothers wife or some concoction. :p Gamora probably just figured "oh well, another dead human." Shortly before her appearance in the present, she was battling for Thanos on another world. She's not the same Gamora we've come to know pre Endgame. The Gamora of Guardians is dead. This Gamora is a new Gamora.

I mean...she didn't mourn him? She kinda just...left X'D
It is a deleted scene but it seems people have been taking it as canon :/ whether it should or not, idk I just think it's fun to speculate what the future movie could be like based off of it.

And yeah, obviously GOTG Gamora is very very dead, but Quill still wants to find Gamora (GOTG or New, whichever), as seen at the end of Endgame. My original point is that Gamora not being present will be interesting, and will definitely add another layer of Star Lord angst since he clearly will be searching for her.

I'm definitely glad they can resolve Thor and the Guardians before Vol 3. Gunn has also always said that Vol 3 would change the lineup forever so that works out better, too.

However, I will hold a grudge forever against Marvel for what they did to Gamora and Natasha. I hope Gunn can slightly fix it.

you know what, when the Guardians return in 2023 we had 3 probably 4 Spiderman movies between Vol. 2 and 3.
Also it would be almost 10 years after Vol. 1

Gunn has since clarified saying they will be back in the MCU at some point but not necessarily GOTG3.

Gunn has since clarified saying they will be back in the MCU at some point but not necessarily GOTG3.
Hmm. Possibly in The Eternals or Captain Marvel 2 then? It's still so weird that Stallone is in the MCU, but I felt he was pretty wasted in Guardians 2

Hmm. Possibly in The Eternals or Captain Marvel 2 then? It's still so weird that Stallone is in the MCU, but I felt he was pretty wasted in Guardians 2

Yeah or even another Thor movie. Possibly even Nova if that comes out in the next few years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"