Hairspray:The Second Spraying

green

fear is the mind killer
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
547
Points
73
http://joblo.com/index.php?id=10546

Source: Variety by: Mike Sampson



After an endless stream of rumors and possibilities, New Line has finally set its cast for the upcoming musical HAIRSPRAY. John Travolta and Queen Latifah have officially signed on to star in th efilm as Edna Turnblad and Motormouth Maybelle respectively. New Line had been courting Travolta for some time but he had been waffling between this project and starring as JR Ewing in Fox's big screen DALLAS pic. Travolta maintains he still has interest in starring in that film but production would have to be delayed to fit into his schedule. The role of Edna Turnblad will be "greatly expanded" in the theatrical version, with new songs courtesy of composer Marc Shaiman, to fit an actor of Travolta's "stature" (my quotes). Latifah is reunited with director Adam Shankman who she worked with on BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE. The next stop for the HAIRSPRAY team is finding an actress to star as Tracy Turnblad. A nationwide casting call is underway to find a "fresh face" to star as the young girl. In addition, Billy Crystal and Meryl Streep have been rumored additions to the cast as well but their deals haven't been set. HAIRSPRAY is set for release in summer 2007.
 
Not that it appears anyone cares but...

First pic of travolta in drag as Edna Turnblad.:D

travolta-hairspray.jpg
 
hahahaha

oh that John...
 
Isn't Michelle Pheiffer signed on for this too?
 
Yep, and Walken


John Travolta.... Edna Turnblad

Amanda Bynes....Penny Pingleton

Queen Latifah....Motormouth Maybelle

Michelle Pfeiffer ....Velma Von Tussle

Nicole Blonsky...Tracy Turnblad

Zac Efron....Link Larkin

Jim Broadbent....Wilbur Turnblad

Allison Janney....Prudy Pingleton

Elijah Kelley ....Seaweed J. Stubbs

James Marsden....Corny Collins

Brittany Snow....Amber von Tussel

Christopher Walken....Wilbur Turnblad

Jesse Weafer.... IQ
 
See what Scientology can do for you, kids?
 
Christopher Walken becomes less creepy every film. I used to think the guy was creepy until he hosted Saturday Night Live the first time and did a song and dance number. Now he's just weird.
 
Hairspray sucked the first time, there's no need for this.
 
This is just too funny.

On the other hand, it's good to see Michelle's back making movies. And she's still as hot as ever.

And Walken's in it? SWEET!
 
hunter rider said:
Why is Travolta playing a woman :confused:

That's what the role calls for.

But this is odd, especially after he was caught kissing his boyfriend. [He's gay, in case you guys didn't know.]
 
travoltagirl.jpg


Could they not find a woman to play the role? What's goings on here?

I'm in the twighlight zone aren't I...

eh..I'd hit it.
 
hunter rider said:
Why is Travolta playing a woman :confused:


The role of Edna Turnblad was played by Divine in the John Waters original. Divine always played women in John Waters films like Pink Flamingoes and Polyester. The role on Broadway is played by Harvey Fierstein (he may still be doing it, Im not sure). Basically the role has always been played by a man Travolta is just continuing that.
 
green said:
The role of Edna Turnblad was played by Divine in the John Waters original. Divine always played women in John Waters films like Pink Flamingoes and Polyester. The role on Broadway is played by Harvey Fierstein (he may still be doing it, Im not sure). Basically the role has always been played by a man Travolta is just continuing that.

When I saw it about a year or so ago, Bruce Vilanch had taken over.
 
green said:
The role of Edna Turnblad was played by Divine in the John Waters original. Divine always played women in John Waters films like Pink Flamingoes and Polyester. The role on Broadway is played by Harvey Fierstein (he may still be doing it, Im not sure). Basically the role has always been played by a man Travolta is just continuing that.

Ahhh i see,a bit like Dame's in pantomime ?
 
Wesyeed said:
travoltagirl.jpg


Could they not find a woman to play the role? What's goings on here?

I'm in the twighlight zone aren't I...

eh..I'd hit it.

Oh, c'mon. Travolta looks adorable. Hey, at least, he's not trying to make a follow up to Battlefield Earth or anything. Besides, the man can sing and I dare anyone to claim that he cannot dance.
 
Some parts of This movie(if not the whole thing) is being filmed in Toronto right by my school. I see 1960 cars lol hopefully i get to see Amanda Bynes :).
 
ANTHONYNASTI said:
When I saw it about a year or so ago, Bruce Vilanch had taken over.


D'oh, that's right, I forgot about that. How was the play compared to the original movie?

hunter rider said:
Ahhh i see,a bit like Dame's in pantomime ?

That's pretty much it.:up:

This is Divine from the original

hairsprray1.jpg
 
Dr. Evil said:
Christopher Walken becomes less creepy every film. I used to think the guy was creepy until he hosted Saturday Night Live the first time and did a song and dance number. Now he's just weird.

The Elian Gonzalez musical, right?
 
green said:
D'oh, that's right, I forgot about that. How was the play compared to the original movie?



That's pretty much it.:up:

This is Divine from the original

hairsprray1.jpg

Well errrrrrr Travolta is sexier i guess :confused: lol :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,443
Messages
21,728,247
Members
45,556
Latest member
ProfessorP1999
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"