The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

i spoil myself a ton with descriptions, but i draw the line at anything video related that wasn't released by the studio. meaning recorded in the theater clips

Have any theater recorded clips leaked out?

I’m the same way usually for the most part. The spoilers just get me even more excited and they don’t ruin my enjoyment at all, they enhance it.
Exactly the same for me. :up:

Good thing updates/alerts haven't been working the past few days... trying to go into this film as dark as possible after that second trailer.

We have the 40th anniversary showing tomorrow, so excited.

It's not always an easy game being The Shape!

Read the leaked script. Not happy with the very open ending in this script (and the weird doctor character without spoiling too much). Hope they will change both parts.

Every review I have read hates the "twist". I am curious what it is. Anyone seen it that would be glad to spoil us? :D

Every review I have read hates the "twist". I am curious what it is. Anyone seen it that would be glad to spoil us? :D
Michaels new doctor, who's name is sartain, basically kills the police officer that is trying to kill Michael and pretty much brings Michael to Lauries house for their 'reunion". Michael murders him brutally of course.
When i first saw the film, the twist surprised me, but afterwards it really does make sense in the grand scheme of things and it literally only lasts a few minutes anyway. You could take it out and it wouldn't really matter. I honestly think more fondly on it now

85% and certified fresh on RT for an 11th installement in a slasher franchise is absolutely amazing. Thank you, Blumhouse, DGG, and all the cast and crew for crafting what, in my mind, is the greatest slasher sequel ever.

Certified fresh on a Halloween sequel, mind you a 2018 one at that, is impressive as bad place. You couldn't have told me that after seeing Halloween Resurrection, or even the Zombie films.

Michaels new doctor, who's name is sartain, basically kills the police officer that is trying to kill Michael and pretty much brings Michael to Lauries house for their 'reunion". Michael murders him brutally of course.
When i first saw the film, the twist surprised me, but afterwards it really does make sense in the grand scheme of things and it literally only lasts a few minutes anyway. You could take it out and it wouldn't really matter. I honestly think more fondly on it now

Doesn’t really seem like a problem to me just from hearing it. Can’t wait to see for myself

Saw this last night at an advance screening and thought it was pretty good, but not as good as the original. My non-spoiler thoughts:

- It was a bit annoying that the iconic Halloween movie theme music was only used once, during the opening credits. Now I haven't seen the original movie in a while, so someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall it using the theme only once?
- Similarly, the musical "stinger" that John Carpenter originally used to establish Michael Myer's presence on screen (the 4-note "hush hush hush hush" effect), and recurred throughout the original movie, was used only once in this movie.
- Sorry but Jamie Lee Curtis' character in this movie just felt like a rip-off of Sarah Connor from Terminator 1 to 2 with her character evolution from Halloween 1978 to Halloween 2018 (not really a spoiler because the trailers have already established her base character arc between movies). :o But I suppose it's hard to achieve true originality these days when so many movies have come before.
- It didn't start really taking advantage of the R rating at first, and felt more like a PG-13 movie. Only in the latter half of the movie did it really start taking advantage, and even then, it still felt a bit tame. It was annoying as heck to see Michael's first kills occurring off-screen! Is there anyone who watches these movies for off-screen kills?
- This director clearly took notes from the original, but wasn't quite talented enough to see all of the elements through and pull them off as well. Example: long tracking shot from Michael's POV. Carpenter did that better. This director, not so much, but it was still cool.
- It was definitely the kind of horror movie you want to see with a packed audience! Mine laughed at all the right parts (of both the intentional and unintentional variety) which made the experience better.
- Who the **** brings a pre-teen kid to a movie like this? I wouldn't be surprised if that kid was scarred from a certain scene now. Fortunately the kid was relatively quiet, but geez!

Definitely enjoyed the movie overall, but IMO, not as good as it could've been. 7/10 for me.

Last edited:
Are you a big horror fan or massive fan of the original film?

Are you a big horror fan or massive fan of the original film?

Huge horror fan in general. Not as huge a fan of this franchise, but I like the original and the second one. Haven't seen any of the other movies in the franchise since H20.

I actually think more restrained gore and even some offscreen kills is a good thing. The original movie which this one seeks to emulate was not at all any kind of gorefest. In fact, I don't even know if there's any blood. It was more about tension and atmosphere than graphic violence.

‘Halloween’ Could Be In Store For $100M+ Global Opening Treat

No trick here: The estimates for Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s Halloween reboot-sequel keep climbing, with the high-end of current global projections at $100M.

That’s $70M stateside (and some even think that’s low) at 3,928 U.S./Canada locations and another $30M from 21 markets, the biggest scares coming from Mexico (where horror is a fave), UK, Russia and Taiwan. Conservative estimates from inside Uni are at $50M stateside, and $12M-$18M offshore, but rival consensus believe the David Gordon Green-directed pic will make a bigger killing at the B.O.; at least $65M-plus domestic. We’ve heard since the movie landed on tracking that the R-rated pic is playing far beyond the standard older male demo and has a wide audience hooked. Green, Danny McBride and Jeff Fradley breathed life into the script, characters which were originally created by John Carpenter and Debra Hill.

Fandango is already reporting that Halloween is the biggest horror pre-seller this year, besting New Line’s The Nun which opened to $53.8M, repping the best debut ever for a Conjuring movie. That pic went on to have a $131M global bow, however, it launched in more offshore territories, numbering 60.

Here in U.S./Canada, Halloween is technically the only new major studio wide entry, however, 20th Century Fox is widening its African American YA feature adaptation The Hate U Give which played at 248 sites last weekend. Current running total is $2.8M and the industry projection is that the pic could earn another $7M-$9M. Sony’s Venom and Warner Bros.’ A Star Is Born is fighting for second with $18M-$20M. Universal/DreamWorks’ First Man could decline 50% to 55% for $7.2M to $8M.

Halloween‘s launch abroad is considered soft in regards to the big blood that is yet to flow. Horror overindexes in Latin America and many of those markets don’t hit until the October 25 frame. But here’s a codicil: slasher films have a harder time there. Some see Halloween performing like It abroad. South East Asia also likes its scares, and Indonesia and the Philippines are on deck this week. It’s a difficult one to assess given the staggered rollout and that comps from the franchise itself are outdated.

Halloween is a property with a long legacy and folks the world over should be intrigued to see Jamie Lee Curtis return to Laurie Strode, though it’s thought they may look to the domestic performance before opening their wallets. While horror can be frontloaded, this means there may not be a rush-out factor as older viewers wait to catch the now 59-year-old badass.

Extended footage shown at CinemaCon in Las Vegas and CineEurope in Barcelona was rousingly received earlier this year. It’s worth noting that the Halloween holiday with all its tricks and treats, ghouls and goblins is celebrated globally, even gaining traction in Europe over the last several years. It also coincides with All Saints Day on November 1 which is a national holiday in some markets which should see pick-up then.

In comps, the franchise is not viable as the last movies date too far back, and overseas markets have shifted greatly since. Recently, The Nun’s top hubs were Mexico, Brazil and the UK. IT scored in the UK, Germany and Mexico. Annabelle: Creation’s tops were Mexico, Korea and Brazil.

The Nun has conjured $243M overseas, a strong 67% of its box office which is about on par with how superhero movies split the world. Global it’s the best Conjuring movie ever with $359.3M. Annabelle: Creation likewise did about 67% offshore. IT, which kicked off a renewed fall horror craze last year, took 53% of its box office balloons from international.

Neither Zombie film is above H4. Or really above most of the franchise in general for that matter.

I got my tickets booked for Friday night, cannot wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"