1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Sci-Fi Halo - The Live Action TV Series - By Steven Spielberg

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Donut, May 21, 2013.

1. Teelie Jokerface

Gripes aside overall I enjoyed it. It's definitely not Halo as we know it but this is clearly an alternate take that is going in a seperate direction (and still, no Halo). There are a few issues with the story and pacing, and some character choices (Makee and Halsey primarily) were not the best.

A few "twists" in this episode were a little too obviously not what they seemed right from the get-go.

Halsey was obviously a clone right from the moment they "captured" her, because they would not let their secondary villian get so quickly and easily caught. Halsey is too slippery and smart for that.

Makee probably isn't dead, or at least not completely dead yet (who knows what a desperate Covenant will try to get to the Halo) and Cortana taking over the Chief at the end was so heavily foreshadowed it was blinding me.

I suspected at least one Spartan was going to die but they did surprise me with only grievously wounding Riz instead of outright killing or paralyzing her. She may yet be back or they will retire her from active duty although I doubt they will write her off the show.

At least it was entirely focused on the Master Chief which surprised me because I was sure Kwan Ha would pop up for another exposition dump on Madrigal and how she is somehow tied to everything.

I don't know what the next season holds for Silver team but it's going to be interesting to see if they actually make it to the eponymous Halo in season 2.

2. Marvolo Registered

Wait...they didn't even get to the Halo?

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. Teelie Jokerface

Only the virtual one.

TheVileOne likes this.
  4. Monsieur Xavier Registered

Another fine episode for me.
    Full silver team in action. Vannek showing emotions, Viz is a bit under played, Kai is still the best.
    I liked the FPS view during the battle.
    Halsey is a good antagonist.

5. Teelie Jokerface

Kai is my favorite too. She is the scene stealer for me ever since she started to feel emotions. Almost sociopathic at times but she keeps it reigned in.

6. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

Yeah I almost wonder if Kai was supposed to die in episode 8 when the ship crashed but they focus grouped it and audiences were like, “You can’t kill her! She’s the best character!” And so they changed it up. Because the reactions by John and the other Spartans were strange when she emerged from the wreckage. John risked everything to save Kai just a few episodes before and then she almost died and he seemed way too non-reactive about it lol.

Anyway, I overall enjoyed this season, especially these last couple episodes. Halsey is a great antagonist and Makee is interesting too… I hope we haven’t seen the last of her. John is a good lead; the aforementioned scene with Kai aside I found his hero’s journey compelling. And the Covenant leaders are creepy as hell. They’re like if Jabba and Sebulba had children.

Unfortunately Kwan Ha and Soren are the weakest parts of the show, not because their characters are bad but because their storylines just aren’t as interesting. I was fully engaged in everything to do with the Spartans and the Covenant, and any time we took a detour to Madrigal or Soren’s hideout, it just was kind of a lull. I’m fine with these characters returning in season 2 but hopefully they will be better integrated into the main story.

7. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if either of those characters never came back because the subplots involving them ended up being pretty pointless, dull and easily the weakest part of this season.

I just couldn't get invested in Kwan's character and while I did like Bookeem Woodbine's presence whenever he was onscreen, I can't help but feel his talent was wasted overall.

If they do bring them back in Season 2 hopefully the writing is a lot better and if not I'm fine with other more interesting and likable characters like Kai getting more screentime/development.

Deck Rickard and TheVileOne like this.
  8. Pennywise Registered

Halo TV series producer on tough creative decisions, fan feedback, and the franchise’s "open" future

9. Marvolo Registered

Season 2 opens with Chief waking up on a Halo. Its revealed that season 1 was an artificial construct designed by the Covenant to imprison Master Chief while they carried on with their holy work.

TheVileOne likes this.
  10. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

They teased us here in the UK with the first episode on national TV. I really enjoyed it but just can't afford the subscription to P+ to watch the rest right now.

Will it be available to buy phsycially at any point?

11. DarkKnight88 Registered

Unlike Disney and Netflix, Paramount seems to be releasing their streaming content onto physical media like Star Trek. So I’d assume so.

#561 DarkKnight88, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  12. NotNickFury Registered

Netflix has slowed down, but there was a point where they did do physical media. I remember the first seasons of the Marvel Netflix got Blu-Ray releases. Same with at least season 1 of Stranger Things. Not sure about other original content, though.

TheVileOne and AVEITWITHJAMON like this.
  13. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

14. Pennywise Registered

15. Teelie Jokerface

It's already a franchise. What they mean is they want to water it down further.

Erik20, TheVileOne and Pennywise like this.
  16. Pennywise Registered

17. Slick Former apprentice of Kung Fu Joe

18. Slick Former apprentice of Kung Fu Joe

Got my Steelbook 4K copy of season one yesterday.

AVEITWITHJAMON and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  19. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

How does it look on 4K?

Only watched the first episode but really curious to see the rest of the season.

20. Slick Former apprentice of Kung Fu Joe

The 4K transfer is pretty beautiful actually which surprised me. I only watched the first episode but the picture quality is very clear and the colors in that opening scene are great. So yeah I’m going to watch the rest of the season but so far it’s very impressive.

21. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

Awesome thanks buddy

Slick likes this.
  22. Slick Former apprentice of Kung Fu Joe

Oh it’s all good.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  23. TheVileOne Registered

Did they fix the unfinished CG for the Blu-ray?

24. Slick Former apprentice of Kung Fu Joe

Nope but it at least looks a tad cleaned up for the 4K transfer but not by much.

25. TheVileOne Registered

Warts and all I suppose. Leave the Starbucks cup in Game of Thrones.

[​IMG]

#575 TheVileOne, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022