Han Solo Movie Box office Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by Thread Manager, May 29, 2018.

1. sueb1863 Registered

I don't envy Abrams. He's going to have to craft a movie that addresses the issues some fans had with TLJ, deals with the loss of Carrie Fisher, and delivers a satisfying conclusion to not only the current trilogy but the entire nine-movie Skywalker arc. And he has to do all of these perfectly.

It ain't gonna be easy.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Solo on DVD or Netflix, as I don't think it's going to be in theaters much longer.

2. Webhead38 Registered

I think Episode 9 will have a big debut weekend. It's the cliff it's looking at the second weekend which will tell the story. If Star Wars continues to carry the narrative of diminished returns, then Disney has a real branding problem.

First let me say, this has been the most disjointed, uninspired trilogy in the history of these movies. We have the finale coming for this trilogy and the questions have almost nothing to do with how invested people are in the story.

Everyone is looking for a "fix" which kind of makes this whole trilogy pointless. The first trilogy built up to a show down between Luke and Vader. The prequels built up to the transformation and fall of Anakin into Vader. The new Disney trilogy is building to... ... ... ? I have no freaking idea.

Is it Days of Our Lives in space with Rey and Kylo mating? Is Luke going to find his mojo as a Force ghost? Is Carrie Fisher going to be recast and Leia finds her Force mojo? It's clear as mud. So I don;t see this film, in any fashion, making better money than Last Jedi.

If Abrams makes another Star Wars clone, people will say they sold out to predictable plot points. If Fisher is recast, there will be a revolt that makes the current one look like a light protest. And if Rey and Kylo fall in love... I don't want to even consider the madness there.

And now the man who basically turned this series sideways is going to write a new trilogy that doesn't resemble anything having to with the brand for the last 40 plus years. What a complete mess.

3. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Im indifferent to the new trilogy. I'd give both movies positive ratings but i have no desire to really watch them again.

But your nailed it in the quote above about the new trilogy. It's about nothing.

-Is it about Kylo's redemption? I don't think he can be redeemed after killing Han. And we've already done the whole big bad gets redeemed thing
    -Is it about Rey becoming into a full fledged Jedi? No because she's already damn near all powerful
    -Is it about Finn or Poe doing...whatever? No because neither are given a clear story direction.

And those are all the main characters. When you make a trilogy with an overarching story you have to have some thread of story to carry it through

4. Last Skywalker Registered

In an ideal world... its about how The Emperor, after 30 years of trying, finally made his way into a young Force-Sensitive body(Kylo Ren), took over the Galaxy once more, and exacted his revenge upon the Skywalkers that robbed him of his old body at the end of 6.

But hey... why worry about having a great story?

Instead, it'll likely be about how true love has been found between Beauty, and the beast responsible for the murder of billions of lives. It really is a tale as old as time(or a galaxy far, far way). All hail Reylo.

5. MadVillainy C'mon Son

the hell?

6. Last Skywalker Registered

Reylo is a mashup of Rey and Kylo. Its a shipper term used to denote the two characters falling in love and making babies to end the story.

From every indication, that could be the direction they're heading. Yay? :hmr:

7. Aximili86 Registered

J.J. edited the end of his movie on a request from Rian on continuity grounds, Mandon.

They were talking to one another, no matter how pig-headed you may be.

8. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I know what Reylo is. But that whole bit of your post was just weird.

And no theyre not heading there. Clearly at the end of TLJ they're not going there

9. Ozbridge Registered

I know that the ones who think (and are afraid) that Rey and Ren would fall in love and make babies to end the story are the anti-Reylo, not Reylo fans.

I follow many Reylo fans on Tumblr (and almost all the popular ones) and the happiest endings they hope for Reylo is Ren being exiled/ striped off his Force power/ both at the end of the trilogy, after saying farewell to Rey.

10. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

Given Johnson already had his script in place prior to JJ completing FA, yep, that sounds like continuity and following on to me. You think one thing, I believe another. Let's end it here.

11. Aximili86 Registered

"Belief" doesn't mean **** when flying in the face of documentable proof.

Yes, Rian's script was complete before TFA finished filming. He asked Abrams to edit the final scene as-shot because tonally it conflicted with what he was going for with his film. Abrams agreed and obliged.

This is coming from Johnson himself.

You asserted there's no planning & communication between movies here. You're flat-out lying. Abrams was one of the first to read Johnson's script, during TFA production, said he loved it and wishes he was directing it. In addition to making a small alteration to his film so as to flow better with Rian's.

They were collaborating on the big picture stuff. It's just fact. Believe what you want, some people think the earth is flat too. Good for them, but they're wrong.

12. rocco2216 Registered

It was "seemingly clear" where they were heading in The Last Jedi based on what happened in The Force Awakens. Yet Rian Johnson subverted those expectations for better or worse.

13. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Yep, I am not a huge fan of JJ, but I am so glad he is doing Episode 9 instead of Johnson.

14. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

I will thanks, cheers.

15. Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Great points. My understanding is will Kylo become leader of the First Order or will Rey and him start anew? Who will rule the galaxy and what are Kylo’s ultimate goals as supreme leader?

Can’t say I’m all that excited. There is another sub plot that would intrigue me: THE KNIGHTS OF REN!!!

#665 Stark Bauer, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  16. Johnglen Registered

Actually there is plenty of reason, the franchise has lost a lot of steam outside the U.S and I doubt a crowd pleasing ep9 will correct that. Ep9 doing as much as TLJ worldwide should be considered a great success.

17. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

I don't think they can pull the movie off with Kylo as the man villain, he's no threat to Rey, no threat at all. At this point I hope Snoke had another apprentice, or Snoke was somebody else' apprentice that takes the reigns as the big bad. But like others have said I don't envy JJ because Rian has boxed this trilogy in to a corner.

18. writer0327 Registered

19. chicagodave Registered

Is it really possible that fifty shades free will end up making more than solo. I just cant right now.

20. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

It's a real shame, the sky was the limit for Star Wars when EP7 came out, Marvel almost seemed minuscule in comparison. Fast forward to a few months after EP8, and it can't beat crap-box movies like ID4, 50 shades, Snow White and the Huntsman, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Terminator: Genisys etc.

Even the Transformers or DCEU didn't have such a cataclysmic fall from grace, way to Lucasfilm, way to freakin' go.

21. Johnglen Registered

How did marvel seem minuscule ? There was never a chance that the success of ep7 would be repeated, this was an one off and with the nostalgia factor gone ep8 was always going to decrease even if it was the perfect film, and just about every fan has a different idea what that “perfect Star Wars film” actually is. The franchise was loosing steam overseas fast, that 1.1 billion that ep7 did overseas was never going to be repeated, RO fell to half of that following the huge success of TFA. Star Wars had already lost the emerging markets before ep8 .

Marvel , on the other hand, had the capacity to easily release 2-3 movies per year with each sequel doing better than the previous one , something unprecedented and seeing huge growth at the emerging markets whose box office is booming each year.

Sorry when Star Wars universe, or any other universe/source/whatever manages to bring 20 billion $ in the movie industry in 10 years then we can talk again, and that’s not counting non-MCU marvel films.

22. Last Skywalker Registered

So now they're having to make Star Wars Made-For-TV Movies again? Jesus. Those sure turned out well back in the 80's. :whatever:

Not with a movie as bad as TLJ. Nope, not a chance in the world the success would be repeated. I think you're overestimating the 'nostalgia' factor here. TFA was a great movie that delivered what people wanted and created an environment primed for TLJ, unlike any we've seen in decades as people waited to see what the answers were going to start to be. And then TLJ soiled the bed by not only not providing answers, but ridiculing its audience for having thought they were even important. Its not rocket science. If you make a film the audience doesn't like, they won't keep coming back to it, and you'll make far less money as a result. Star Wars simply had a long way to fall with TLJ, and its continued that descent with the DOA Solo. If they aren't careful, Episode 9 may be the first Saga Movie to lose money. But hey... why worry? We have bonafide proof that every 3rd Star Wars movie, with a dataset of 2 movies, *has* to have that bounceback, amirite?

Ya... no, not really. If needbe, we'll get rid of the past, destroy it if we have to.

#672 Last Skywalker, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  23. Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The squeakquel will have made more money than Solo as well ($219.6 M domestic vs Solo finishing at most with $218 M)

24. Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

I’m a firm believer that anything is possible. BvS was a box office disappointment but DC followed it up with one of the most successful CBM of all time in Wonder Woman.

Marvel Studios is succeeding because they have Kevin Feige. A man with a singular vision. He understands what makes a story great. Understands how to make that story connect to something greater than the sum of its parts. He sees the bigger picture and he has earned not only the trust of the studio but the customers as well. Even if Marvel has some sub par movies like All the Hulk movies, Thor 2, Iron man 3...we know they were sub par not because of a lack of effort or a lack of respect for the material or lack of respect for their audience, but because the story was not executed to the high standard that the first Iron Man set.

Star Wars needs someone like Kevin Feige. I’ve already suggested someone like Patton Oswalt.

Although unlikely to happen, more realistic suggestions to oversee the Star Wars franchise are: George Miller (Mad Max), Gennedy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, the animated Clone Wars not the CG one or live action one)...

Directors: the above Miller and Tartakovsky, Alex Garland (Ex Machina), Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049), Guillermo Del Toro (Pacific Rim), Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg of course lol (why hasnt he directed one yet?)

#674 Stark Bauer, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  25. Ozbridge Registered

I don't know of any of these men except Del Toro, Jackson and Spielberg, but I honestly don't think Kathleen Kennedy should hire any "up-and-coming" 40-something directors with 3 (three) movies under their belt (or, in Josh Trank's case, 30-something, or, in Lord's and Miller's case, 4 goofy movies), no matter how much her husband or Spielberg recommend them *cough* Trevorrow *cough*.

And I think apparently she already drops these kinds of directors, considering both James Mangold and Stephen Daldry are experienced directors (no matter the status of the Boba Fett movie and obviously Daldry has dropped from the Obi-Wan movie). Or maybe the reason Daldry dropped is because she thought he had little experience with high-budget movies. Rian Johnson directed a movie she liked and pitched a trilogy she liked, while D&D at least have extensive experience with high-budget projects and short-form script writing.