Han Solo Movie Box office Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by Thread Manager, May 29, 2018.

1. Last Skywalker

Last Skywalker Registered

:loco:

Patton Oswalt... lol. Why not Jim Carrey at that point?

Feige is...

* First and foremost a suit, a producer, and a manager. His genius is in the ability to manage people and movies without becoming too involved and bogged down within the details. He gets the right people in the right places and if something goes wrong.. leads the charge in learning where things went wrong so they won't be repeated.

* An absolute expert on the product. He's been with Marvel since before they could get anything right. As such, he's learned a lot of what went wrong and developed the standards and practices needed to keep everything on track.

Putting a STAND-UP COMEDIAN like Patton Oswalt in charge of a multi-billion dollar studio like Lucasfilm, where he has 0 knowledge about business. Seriously.. what could go wrong?!

#676 Last Skywalker, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Stark Bauer

Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

3. Brother Jack

Brother Jack The Penitent Man

Wait a minute, you want that to actually happen?

4. dataSlave

dataSlave Registered

Solo pretty much disappeared overseas this weekend. $2.6 million for $151.3 million cume. Japan is the last shot at redemption internationally and opens this coming weekend.

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Well, there it is ladies & gentleman. The guy calling for Kennedy's head in running a $4 billion company wants Patton Oswalt to do it.

I think we've reached an enlightening here. :loco:

6. Johnglen

Johnglen Registered

Wonder Woman is not one of the most succesfull CBM of all time, it was n.4 worldwide even in 2017 behind every MCU film in that year and worldwide is where it’s at these days, we aren’t in the eighties anymore.

7. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh I see Japan did $39,164,663 for Rogue One and $66,662,686 for TLJ so maybe there is some potential there.

8. Last Skywalker

You know what comes next.

$97,862,640 - TFA -> -32% -> TLJ $66,662,686

So if it follows the pattern of the Saga films, with a 32% dropoff from its direct lead-in, it should...

$39,164,663 - RO -> -32% -> Solo $26,678,430

Or there abouts.

Nothing to write home about.

9. Stark Bauer

You don’t? I was kidding. I was making a point that Patton understands the SW universe better than Rian or KK...

10. Stark Bauer

It is number 7 in domestic box office for comic book adaptations
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=comicbookadaptation.htm
    And
    68 worldwide. Which still makes it one of the most successful worldwide releases placing in the top 70.

In my opinion domestic is more relevant to me. It’s where is at for you. I don’t track worldwide box office numbers as closely.

#685 Stark Bauer, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  11. Warlock

Warlock Registered

So after the weekend:
    Domestic - $202.639 million
    Foreign - $151.589 million
    Worldwide - $354.228 million

Even with Japan opening this week, I still don't see it breaking $400 million by the end of its run.

12. Iceman

That's still good numbers compared to it's overseas total at the moment. Will be a decent boost.

13. rayc1971

rayc1971 Registered

it needs about 30mill from japan

14. dataSlave

dataSlave Registered

That's it; it's all relative. 2 months ago, $26 million from Japan would have been disappointing. Now, the studio would not only take $26 million, they'd grab it and hold on for dear life.

15. Adder

Adder Registered

"Muh domestic"

16. Ozbridge

Ozbridge Registered

I don't think anyone see it.

17. Johnglen

Johnglen Registered

Good for you, having the box office of one country being more relevant than the entire world. For me the entire world matters more and Wonder Woman was the n.4 CBM worldwide in 2017.

18. Iceman

Yeah, exactly. And especially that kind of money this late into the run when it has pretty much died everywhere else is a big boost.

19. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

20. Stark Bauer

Hey. I was in a bad mood earlier.

I don’t mean that I don’t care. I mean that I have been following the domestic box office since the first Jurassic Park and Forrest Gump 1993-1994 as a young boy. It’s just what I am more familiar with.

As it stands, it is a lot harder for me to make a solid prediction regarding how Star Wars or Marvel movies will do in South Korea, etc.

I remember when a movie opening to $20 million meant a hit and $50 million meant a mega blockbuster...those are all domestic standards...$100 million was historical when Spider Man did it...

I respect that worldwide numbers are significant, it’s just not my expertise that’s why I prefer not to track those types of numbers and will leave it for the experts for that domain.

21. Last Skywalker

Sure, but even with the Marvel Movies, China tops out at like 27% of the foreign gross(A3) before splits. On BP, you're talking like 7.6% of the foreign gross.

There are *a lot* of territories these days, and if its a domestic film that's Big in China.. its likely already big everywhere else. Its fairly rare that you're Big in China but die in a lot of other territories like say the CarFu masterpiece Furious 7 did (China was 33.6% of foreign gross) in 2015.

And Lucasfilm has nothing to worry about there lol. Their big worry is simply getting people to show up at home and friendly territories after TLJ likely killed the Brand. You're not going to worry about the split with China when your current film is sitting at $354 million and scraping the barrel to try to get to $400 million worldwide.

#696 Last Skywalker, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  22. Stark Bauer

I would wager that it won’t be making more than $219 domestically and you can bet that it will make less than $400 M worldwide.

23. Last Skywalker

Well... $214 mil is a magic number given that's the AfI gross of Batman & Robin. Making less than Batman and Robin?

Just yikes.

I don't think anybody saw that it could go that low before release.

24. Johnglen

Johnglen Registered

Unless we are talking about extreme cases like what Disney demanded from the theaters in the U.S for its mainline Star Wars films , the difference between domestic and overseas take for the studios is extremely small in general. China is a special case.

Anyway I thought box office in forums is mostly used to gouge popularity and success for a movie and thus worldwide matters more since it shows how acceptable a movie is well....around the world .

Using just U.S box office creates an illusion, TFA is not a bigger movie than avatar or titanic and neither is black panther a bigger movie than infinity war.

#699 Johnglen, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  25. Apollo

Apollo Registered

You know you gone and #$%@!ed something up bad if an Alvin and the Chipmucks movie beats a STAR WARS movie at the boxoffice... :eek::rolleyes: