Solo Han Solo Movie Box office Thread - Part 1

Maybe they'll take the ideas for the anthology films and make limited run animated series instead, and only do saga film trilogies in the theaters. So there'd only be a new SW movie every two or three years.

Yeah. They could leave the anthology and expanded universe stuff to television properties.

I like the idea of going back to every three years myself. That gives Benioff and Weiss, and Johnson, the time to really flesh out and develop each film in there series of films without having to the pressure of getting a film out every other year.

In the meantime, they'll have Sw live action and animated tv and stream series get younger viewers interested in the property while the new film trilogies are on hiatus.

I don't think they need to be like Marvel and have a film or two out every year. Audiences have already demonstrated they're willing to wait a few years for the next SW film, so its not it would hurt them to release the films every two or three years.

Considering they can fill that gap with TV shows and games it should be fine.

They can definitely work to the quickly shrinking fanbase of Star Wars by sticking to the animated stuff. The made-for-tv movies thing is also a decent idea with the streaming service. With TV, if you get 300K viewers you're considered a success.

I mean, If ABC could subsidize Agents of Shield for however many years that turd has been on, they can certainly prop up a failing movie franchise with a live-action TV show that gets few viewers.

Although... the big question is whether they even bother with ABC. Its more likely the Live Action TV show is situated as the flagship for Disney Streaming. That's even better, because then they don't have to give its ratings at all, while basically ensuring a 7-year run no matter how bad it gets.

It becomes unkillable like Star Trek Discovery on CBS On Demand, like Voyager was back in the day for UPN, or Buffy was for the WB. As a service-launcher, they simply keep renewing regardless of ratings, because having it fail would be too embarrassing.

For me they just need to Cap the budgets for the spin off movies. I said it even before Solo came out, a Boba Fett movie could easily be made by Mangold for $100-120 million.

Not every SW movie needs a $200-300 million budget.

The budget for this might have been reasonable without all those production issues though.

For me they just need to Cap the budgets for the spin off movies. I said it even before Solo came out, a Boba Fett movie could easily be made by Mangold for $100-120 million.

I think in Solo's case, it became a 200-300 mil project because of the reshoots. I am going to guess it likely was originally going to be like 150ish, but Ron Howard had to shoot at least over 50% of the footage for the movie in order to be its credited director, and we don't know how much of Lord/Miller was deemed unusable. That means paying people to work on stuff a second time that already should have been done. But Lucasfilm definitely didn't intend for Solo to have the price tag that it did. That is something Kennedy can directly be blamed for, as well.

The budget for this might have been reasonable without all those production issues though.

I think in Solo's case, it became a 200-300 mil project because of the reshoots. I am going to guess it likely was originally going to be like 150ish, but Ron Howard had to shoot at least over 50% of the footage for the movie in order to be its credited director, and we don't know how much of Lord/Miller was deemed unusable. That means paying people to work on stuff a second time that already should have been done. But Lucasfilm definitely didn't intend for Solo to have the price tag that it did. That is something Kennedy can directly be blamed for, as well.

Oh yeah of course. Picking the right Director in the first place would be a big help. With Mangold however, he has worked on franchise movies beforehand and I think he knows the drill with established continuity, etc. I don’t see them running into the issues they had with Edwards and Lord and Miller.

Even with that said though, I don’t think a Boba Fett movie needs to be hugely budgeted. Probably the same with a potential Obi-Wan movie as it would likely take place mostly on Tattoine.

Totally. I think the combination of trilogy films every two or three years with on going anthology tv shows is more than enough SW for the GA and fans.

I mean, unless there are SW fans who are dogmatically married to the idea of having a SW film every year or twice year, I really don't see a reason to complain, or a down side to Lucasfilm deciding to have the trilogy films be less frequent, but buttressed between different tv shows and animated and anthology series .

Considering the brand kids should be literally eating up SW merch like they do Marvel. Cartoons, more toys, books, games, clothes...the whole enchilada.

Production budget for RO was $200 million. Was the pre-reshoot budget for Solo significantly lower than that?

Even at $200 million it would have lost money even before accounting for the marketing spend.

After a crappy Monday number a decent recovery on Wednesday and Thursday. $6.85M for the week.

1SZEamz.png

g2RHw6b.png

Last edited:
After a crappy Monday number a decent recovery on Wednesday and Thursday. $6.85M for the week.

Everytime i see that chart i am amazed by the Jumanji multiplier. Over 11 is just insane.

Even without the increase of the budget the movie would have lost them money. The original budget was at 150 million. Add 100 million advertisment and Solo Would need ~500 million to break even.

Honestly a boba Fett movie simply shouldn’t be made. Even with an 120 million budget you would need another 100 million for marketing, unless you want your movie to be invisible. If a Han Solo movie flops , movies with characters like boba Fett would have had laughable Box office results, esp. overseas.

Disney should keep making mainline Star Wars films and keep all the spin off stories for its streaming service.

yeah i think the budget was going to be 150mill but the reshoots pushed it to 250mill

Honestly a boba Fett movie simply shouldn’t be made. Even with an 120 million budget you would need another 100 million for marketing, unless you want your movie to be invisible. If a Han Solo movie flops , movies with characters like boba Fett would have had laughable Box office results, esp. overseas.

Disney should keep making mainline Star Wars films and keep all the spin off stories for its streaming service.

Then you don’t know the fan base. You are highly underestimating the popularity of Boba Fett.

There simply was no fan demand for the Han Solo movie plus the trailer was very weak.

I would go and see a Boba Fett solo movie at least once and yes on day one! If it is executed very well, great story, characters, honours and respects the OT and lives up to the expectations of the OT Star Wars fans, I would go see that Boba Fett movie 10 times.

Boba Fett has a cult following and is one of the most intriguing and mysterious Star Wars characters, probably next to Darth Vader in his awesomeness.

We are living in the age of the Anti-Hero. Characters like Deadpool and Venom are what audiences are drawn to and are craving. They are fresh takes on the superhero genre.

Boba Fett is the same deal except in the SciFi world. Fett has the potential to be the Deadpool of the SW franchise. It will be a surprise hit, making at least $300 million and as much as $600 million (domestically).

An Obi Wan movie has more demand and intrigue than Solo but less than Fett imo, although possibly equal amount of excitement to the average SW fan.

On topic, Solo made over 700k on Friday (estimate) so it is crawling it’s way to $216-218 million domestic final gross.

Last edited:
When do you think the Box office run will end?
TFA played for 24 weeks
RO played for 20 weeks
TLJ played for 18 weeks
SOLO will last, for how long? It's entering it's 6 week now..

Boba Fett's popular, but more popular than Han Solo? Not sure about that.

But thanks to Solo's poor Box office, I really doubt Disney will go forward with any more anthology movies. Movie audiences already told them they aren't interested. They'll be made as streaming only or animated series.

Then you don’t know the fan base. You are highly underestimating the popularity of Boba Fett.

There simply was no fan demand for the Han Solo movie plus the trailer was very weak.

I would go and see a Boba Fett solo movie at least once and yes on day one! If it is executed very well, great story, characters, honours and respects the OT and lives up to the expectations of the OT Star Wars fans, I would go see that Boba Fett movie 10 times.

Boba Fett has a cult following and is one of the most intriguing and mysterious Star Wars characters, probably next to Darth Vader in his awesomeness.

We are living in the age of the Anti-Hero. Characters like Deadpool and Venom are what audiences are drawn to and are craving. They are fresh takes on the superhero genre.

Boba Fett is the same deal except in the SciFi world. Fett has the potential to be the Deadpool of the SW franchise. It will be a surprise hit, making at least $300 million and as much as $600 million (domestically).

An Obi Wan movie has more demand and intrigue than Solo but less than Fett imo, although possibly equal amount of excitement to the average SW fan.

On topic, Solo made over 700k on Friday (estimate) so it is crawling it’s way to $216-218 million domestic final gross.
Boba Fett is not like Deadpool or venom and a movie about him would further devaluate the franchise. It would do 200 million in the U.S and less than 100 million overseas, it’s time for some sw fans to face reality the franchise is in danger of becoming a laughing stock with things like a boba Fett film.

Thankfully Disney seems to have learn a valuable lesson after Han Solo flopping.

Everyone's favorite clone?

I think you're severely overestimating the popularity as it pertains to sustaining a profitable feature film. He was front and center in Episode 2 : Attack of the Clones, and we saw how that worked out. I think the novelty of that character lasted just long enough to find out he was the guy under every Stormtrooper Armor. And then poof.. the magic was gone.

There certainly was far more demand for that, then a movie about a Clone that became a Bounty Hunter. Hey.. he had that pimp armor everyone cites, I guess?

Either way, we saw his 'death' in RoTJ.. right? Or does that get retconned too?

Lets take measure... so far he's been in 3 Saga Movies, and was the best part of the Star Wars Holiday Special, and really... has yet to move the needle with General Audiences.

Everyone's favorite clone?

I think you're severely overestimating the popularity as it pertains to sustaining a profitable feature film. He was front and center in Episode 2 : Attack of the Clones, and we saw how that worked out. I think the novelty of that character lasted just long enough to find out he was the guy under every Stormtrooper Armor. And then poof.. the magic was gone.

There certainly was far more demand for that, then a movie about a Clone that became a Bounty Hunter. Hey.. he had that pimp armor everyone cites, I guess?

Either way, we saw his 'death' in RoTJ.. right? Or does that get retconned too?

Lets take measure... so far he's been in 3 Saga Movies, and was the best part of the Star Wars Holiday Special, and really... has yet to move the needle with General Audiences.

To general audiences Boba Fett is just a cool costume. He's a secondary bad guy with little established personality and a known fate if set pre-RotJ. There's a lot of work to make Boba Fett into a compelling lead and it could easily flop hard.

When do you think the Box office run will end?
TFA played for 24 weeks
RO played for 20 weeks
TLJ played for 18 weeks
SOLO will last, for how long? It's entering it's 6 week now..

Solo is deteriorating/failing a fortnight faster than TLJ, so I would estimate that it will end its run between the 14th and 16th week.

Ok well it seems there are no Boba Fett fans here. Nonetheless I stand by my statement. Boba Fett will DESTROY Han Solo at the Box office! Even if it bombs it won’t bomb as hard as Solo!

If general audiences didn't care about a Han Solo movie, they won't care about a Boba Fett movie. He's a bad guy after all, no redeeming qualities apart from his cool armor, so why exactly would people want to pay to watch him? He spent all his time going after the good guys.

I'd rather see a movie about Poe or the early days of the Jedi.

Nobody gives an F about a Bobba Fett movie, heck even fans of his character don't want a peak behind the curtain. KK would be the dumbest exec in Hollywood if she greenlights that after this debacle. Besides Mangold has already moved on to a new project.

I don't know why some fans are keen on an Obi-Wan Kenobi prequel anyway. Other than Ewan McGregor is still of appropriate age to play an in between Kenobi for a new prequel. Yet McGregor was Kenobi in the hated prequel films. Granted he was one of the stronger aspects of the later prequels, but still.

He's not exactly as beloved as Han Solo, and Han Solo still flopped.

Also what do you even do with Kenobi? You can't do a Darth Maul confrontation. Rebels already told that story. Taking him off-planet seems needlessly risky. You can't have him really encounter Darth Vader.

My point is that the options for a new Kenobi prequel are extremely limited with what you can realistically do with him in the confines of the canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"