Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elfman's is absolutely better. He filled the score with ideas and meaningful leitmotifs, rather than generic soundscapes that could have inhabited Inception as much as Batman films.

I would rate Shirly Walker above Danny Elfman too. I adored The Phantasm soundtrack. Walker was far more versatile than Elfman.

Shirley Walker's is without a doubt the best. I agree with you fully there.

So, what do you guys think about the drums? Will it be a "zod theme" played during the invasion? Or do you think it will be the Man of Steel theme/score? I can´t wait to hear som bits of the soundtrack, all i need is a couple of seconds to keep me going until the movie premieres.

Yes, Elfman's score was iconic for its time but it's not the standard for modern superhero scores.

Tell that to the ones that compare the current superhero scores to Williams' Superman and Elfman's Batman. As well as the ones that rank those as the best superhero scores to this day. There are plenty that still believe that.

The whole soundtrack is brimming of dark comedic tones.

:huh: Only a few scored Joker moments have dark comedic tones, which makes sense. But you're just making stuff up to make the score look bad. Zimmer also made a silly remark of calling Elfman's Batman theme "jolly".:whatever:

Being 'catchy' doesn't make the '89 soundtrack superior either. Ace of Base had hummable songs too, but does make the band superior over current electronic pop bands today? No. That's just nostalgia talking.

Trust me the reason I believe the B89 score is superior to any of the music in TDK trilogy isn't b/c it's more 'catchy'. That's you assuming why I prefer Elfman's Batman scores over Zimmer's. And nostalgia has nothing to do with why I prefer Elfman's over Zimmer's. Once again that's you making assumptions b/c you somehow find it hard to believe that someone prefer's Elfman's Batman scores over Zimmer's. I was listening to some of Batman 89 the other day. And still enjoy it. I get a lot out of it than any Zimmer's Batman scores.

Zimmer had his shortcomings as a composer but to claim the '89 soundtrack remains the top Batman score is a fallacy.

Where did I say Batman 89 was the top Batman score? And if somebody believes that it is how is that a "fallacy"? No it's called having an opinion, but b/c you don't share that opinion it's a "fallacy" to you.

Older fans might identify with Elfman's work but there's no depth to it. Say what you will about Zimmer's efforts but there's no comparison. For instance, in Begins there's one particular scene that cements Hans' score as inspiring and heroic -- Bruce discovering the Batcave and facing his fear. There's no track in Elfman's work that reflected that type of empowerment.

Bullcrap. Elfman's Batman scores has plenty of depth. The scenes where there are no dialogue even proves it. The scene where Vicki is following Bruce in Crime Alley, when Batman is taking Vicki to the batcave in the batmobile, the flashback of the murder of Bruce's parents, the scene where Batman, Vicki, and the Joker are walking up the stairs of the cathedral, the finale of batman 89, the Cobblepot prologue of BR, the scene in BR where Bruce sees the bat signal, the scene where Selina is reborn and destroys her apartment and becomes Catwoman, the scene where Penguin visits his parents' grave, and so on and so forth. Like I said before the book "Danny Elfman's Batman: A film Score Guide" does an analysis and commentary on Elfman's Batman 89 score. Which proves the score has more depth than you give it credit for not having, imo.

And using the scene where Bruce is covered with bats or whatever as an example of why Zimmer's music is more 'inspiring' and 'heroic' is funny. Didn't he use that piece when the batpod was introduced in TDK, as well as the end of both TDK and TDKR, as well as when Bruce escapes the pit. What exactly is 'heroic' and 'inspiring' about DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
If you believe that that's "heroic" and "inspiring" then more power to you. Btw, the music at the end of B89 ("Finale") was 'inspiring' and 'heroic', imo. Again Elfman had plenty of those moments especially in B89.

Just say what you really think. That Elfman's batman scores (or scores in general) aren't your cup of tea. It's fine if you believe Zimmer's batman scores has more "depth" and is more "heroic" and "inspiring" that's your opinion, but to say Elfman's batman scores doesn't have any of those is a load of bull, imo.

I would rate Shirly Walker above Danny Elfman too. I adored The Phantasm soundtrack. Walker was far more versatile than Elfman.

So b/c the two posts after you prefer Elfman's Batman scores over Zimmer's. You have to bring up Shirley Walker? :whatever: I'm a big fan of her Batman scores as well. I also prefer her batman scores over Zimmer's any day. I'm not going to compare Walker to Elfman, but she took the approach Elfman did with Batman when she wrote the music to B:TAS.

And I think Elfman is very versatile. A lot of people that associate him with superhero movies (as well as Tim Burton movies) don't realise he's the same guy that wrote the music for Article 99, Sommersby, Black Beauty, Dolores Claiborne, Extreme Measures, A Civil Action, A Simple Plan, The Kingdom, Standard Operating Procedure, Wanted, Milk, Notorious, The Next Three Days, Silver Linings Playbook, etc. Plus he's one of the few composers who can also sing.

Last edited:
this is an insulting lie. he just described the music from the december trailer . the music was similar to the gladiator soundtrack. :cmad:

Strictly speaking, we don't know if it's a lie. But yes, it if is indeed a lie, then I suppose it is rather insulting.

Last edited:

:up:

She generally doesn't get the attention she deserves.

Her work was hauntingly beautiful.

Mask of the Phantasm remains one of her best scores to date. Just wonderful. Coincidentally, Zimmer also had a hand in that as well -- he was the synth programmer.

I think a rearranged version of her theme would've fitted Nolan's Batman better. It was thematic, brooding, and sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPBg4R9-vMA This is from the 2013 Bible miniseries, with Zimmer involved. 1:50-2:20 sound almost like it could be similar to the new Superman theme. Big, energetic, heroic, with some level of melancholy and seriousness, but not enough to undermine the triumphant sound. :hrt:

^ if the MOS is similar ill be happy. I just want a theme that evokes a sense of hope in me.

This guy on youtube does great Zimmer style compositions. Here's his fan composition for a Man of Steel score.

[YT]9B_C5yDBdz4[/YT]

Even if the score is nothing like that, it still gets me really pumped to hear Zimmer's take on Superman.

Elfman's is absolutely better. He filled the score with ideas and meaningful leitmotifs, rather than generic soundscapes that could have inhabited Inception as much as Batman films.

:up::up: I would love for Elfman's score to reappear in a film. It is so perfect.

I always get excited when this thread is bumped.

I always get excited when this thread is bumped.

Me too lol. I always think someone posted a sample of the MOS score available for pre order on amazon or something. Lol

....and sorry for the bumb. Haha

I really was dissapointed in The Avengers Score .
I hope the MOS score is far better.
I am very optimistic about that right now .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPBg4R9-vMA This is from the 2013 Bible miniseries, with Zimmer involved. 1:50-2:20 sound almost like it could be similar to the new Superman theme. Big, energetic, heroic, with some level of melancholy and seriousness, but not enough to undermine the triumphant sound. :hrt:

I haven't seen the Bible miniseries or heard much of Zimmer's score from it but after reading this review of Zimmer's score from this site http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3402 . I'm no longer interested in that score. After reading that it definitely doesn't give me any confidence that Zimmer will knock the MOS score out of the park either.

I haven't seen the Bible miniseries or heard much of Zimmer's score from it but after reading this review of Zimmer's score from this site http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3402 . I'm no longer interested in that score. After reading that it definitely doesn't give me any confidence that Zimmer will knock the MOS score out of the park either.

Much of his stuff sounds the same, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"