Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Elfman's is absolutely better. He filled the score with ideas and meaningful leitmotifs, rather than generic soundscapes that could have inhabited Inception as much as Batman films.

2. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

I would rate Shirly Walker above Danny Elfman too. I adored The Phantasm soundtrack. Walker was far more versatile than Elfman.

3. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Shirley Walker's is without a doubt the best. I agree with you fully there.

4. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

Her work was hauntingly beautiful.

5. Fedor

Fedor Well-Known Member

So, what do you guys think about the drums? Will it be a "zod theme" played during the invasion? Or do you think it will be the Man of Steel theme/score? I can´t wait to hear som bits of the soundtrack, all i need is a couple of seconds to keep me going until the movie premieres.

6. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

Tell that to the ones that compare the current superhero scores to Williams' Superman and Elfman's Batman. As well as the ones that rank those as the best superhero scores to this day. There are plenty that still believe that.

:huh: Only a few scored Joker moments have dark comedic tones, which makes sense. But you're just making stuff up to make the score look bad. Zimmer also made a silly remark of calling Elfman's Batman theme "jolly".:whatever:

Trust me the reason I believe the B89 score is superior to any of the music in TDK trilogy isn't b/c it's more 'catchy'. That's you assuming why I prefer Elfman's Batman scores over Zimmer's. And nostalgia has nothing to do with why I prefer Elfman's over Zimmer's. Once again that's you making assumptions b/c you somehow find it hard to believe that someone prefer's Elfman's Batman scores over Zimmer's. I was listening to some of Batman 89 the other day. And still enjoy it. I get a lot out of it than any Zimmer's Batman scores.

Where did I say Batman 89 was the top Batman score? And if somebody believes that it is how is that a "fallacy"? No it's called having an opinion, but b/c you don't share that opinion it's a "fallacy" to you.

Bullcrap. Elfman's Batman scores has plenty of depth. The scenes where there are no dialogue even proves it. The scene where Vicki is following Bruce in Crime Alley, when Batman is taking Vicki to the batcave in the batmobile, the flashback of the murder of Bruce's parents, the scene where Batman, Vicki, and the Joker are walking up the stairs of the cathedral, the finale of batman 89, the Cobblepot prologue of BR, the scene in BR where Bruce sees the bat signal, the scene where Selina is reborn and destroys her apartment and becomes Catwoman, the scene where Penguin visits his parents' grave, and so on and so forth. Like I said before the book "Danny Elfman's Batman: A film Score Guide" does an analysis and commentary on Elfman's Batman 89 score. Which proves the score has more depth than you give it credit for not having, imo.

And using the scene where Bruce is covered with bats or whatever as an example of why Zimmer's music is more 'inspiring' and 'heroic' is funny. Didn't he use that piece when the batpod was introduced in TDK, as well as the end of both TDK and TDKR, as well as when Bruce escapes the pit. What exactly is 'heroic' and 'inspiring' about DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
    If you believe that that's "heroic" and "inspiring" then more power to you. Btw, the music at the end of B89 ("Finale") was 'inspiring' and 'heroic', imo. Again Elfman had plenty of those moments especially in B89.

Just say what you really think. That Elfman's batman scores (or scores in general) aren't your cup of tea. It's fine if you believe Zimmer's batman scores has more "depth" and is more "heroic" and "inspiring" that's your opinion, but to say Elfman's batman scores doesn't have any of those is a load of bull, imo.

So b/c the two posts after you prefer Elfman's Batman scores over Zimmer's. You have to bring up Shirley Walker? :whatever: I'm a big fan of her Batman scores as well. I also prefer her batman scores over Zimmer's any day. I'm not going to compare Walker to Elfman, but she took the approach Elfman did with Batman when she wrote the music to B:TAS.

And I think Elfman is very versatile. A lot of people that associate him with superhero movies (as well as Tim Burton movies) don't realise he's the same guy that wrote the music for Article 99, Sommersby, Black Beauty, Dolores Claiborne, Extreme Measures, A Civil Action, A Simple Plan, The Kingdom, Standard Operating Procedure, Wanted, Milk, Notorious, The Next Three Days, Silver Linings Playbook, etc. Plus he's one of the few composers who can also sing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  7. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

this is an insulting lie. he just described the music from the december trailer . the music was similar to the gladiator soundtrack. :cmad:

8. ModusPonens

ModusPonens Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking, we don't know if it's a lie. But yes, it if is indeed a lie, then I suppose it is rather insulting.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. Super Kal

Super Kal Proud Conservative

10. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

:up:

She generally doesn't get the attention she deserves.

11. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

Mask of the Phantasm remains one of her best scores to date. Just wonderful. Coincidentally, Zimmer also had a hand in that as well -- he was the synth programmer.

I think a rearranged version of her theme would've fitted Nolan's Batman better. It was thematic, brooding, and sad.

12. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPBg4R9-vMA This is from the 2013 Bible miniseries, with Zimmer involved. 1:50-2:20 sound almost like it could be similar to the new Superman theme. Big, energetic, heroic, with some level of melancholy and seriousness, but not enough to undermine the triumphant sound. :hrt:

13. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

^ if the MOS is similar ill be happy. I just want a theme that evokes a sense of hope in me.

14. Kane52630

Kane52630 Something's gotta stop the flow

15. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

This guy on youtube does great Zimmer style compositions. Here's his fan composition for a Man of Steel score.

[YT]9B_C5yDBdz4[/YT]

Even if the score is nothing like that, it still gets me really pumped to hear Zimmer's take on Superman.

16. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Well-Known Member

:up::up: I would love for Elfman's score to reappear in a film. It is so perfect.

17. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

I always get excited when this thread is bumped.

18. Kevin Smith

Me too lol. I always think someone posted a sample of the MOS score available for pre order on amazon or something. Lol

....and sorry for the bumb. Haha

19. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

I personally hope that some epic vocals are included in the soundtrack.

20. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

I really was dissapointed in The Avengers Score .
    I hope the MOS score is far better.
    I am very optimistic about that right now .

21. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the Bible miniseries or heard much of Zimmer's score from it but after reading this review of Zimmer's score from this site http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3402 . I'm no longer interested in that score. After reading that it definitely doesn't give me any confidence that Zimmer will knock the MOS score out of the park either.

22. Kevin Smith

Much of his stuff sounds the same, IMO.

23. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Don't get him started...

24. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

25. JimJimBinks

JimJimBinks A friend

WOW! It has been so long since I heard that! It's so great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.