Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mentioned Mansell, Death is the Road to Awe is Krypton's destruction in my mind.

Indeed. That and Dies Irae are my 2 favorite destruction songs. That and "The Destruction of Shangri-La" from the FMA anime, but the 2 former sound more appropriate for MoS.

Yup. The guy gets it. He may not be everyone's cup of tea (naturally), but he's not the one-minded electronic imbecile some people make him out to be.
I think he's an exceptional composer. Although, my favorite scores of his are from comedies; As Good As It Gets, The Holiday, and The Simpsons Movie (though I would've preferred they got Danny Elfman, composer of the f'n Simpsons theme, to score that one).

They should've went with Don Davis instead for MOS.

Last edited:
If Zimmer could do something like Chevaliers de Sangreal for the main theme, I think that it would be pretty spot on. I love that track!

[YT]u5FyRZbqfeM[/YT]

Looks like Zimmer will be recording the MOS score in Los Angeles... music contractor Peter Rotter is listed on MOS' IMDB cast & credits listing. I expect Rotter will update his site soon with the news.

A bit disappointed Zimmer isn't recording it in London, but we can't afford to be picky...

If Zimmer could do something like Chevaliers de Sangreal for the main theme, I think that it would be pretty spot on. I love that track!

[YT]u5FyRZbqfeM[/YT]

Love that theme. Especially when it used at the end of The DaVinci Code when Hanks/Langdon figured it. Something like this theme used in MOS would be lovely.

Knowing Zimmer's doing this just reiterates how perfectly assembled MOS is.

Its as if all the elements came together for this one.

^^^^All it reiterates to me is that Zimmer will deliver another generic and by the numbers Hans Zimmer score. So now (just like TDK trilogy) Superman will sound like most scores to action blockbuster movies today. And won't be as distinct.

^SMH you act like zimmer has no range does his pirates and tdk trilogy scores sound a thing a like?

or his inception and his sherlock holmes scores?

I wouldn't say that Zimmer's score in Nolan's Batman trilogy was generic.

I would have loved to see Clint Mansell scoring this film - I think his work would fit the style of the movie perfectly.

I'll reserve my judgment on Zimmer - I just hope he tries something a little different. He can be great, but his recent work is beginning to grow repetitive.

Elevator Man's still trolling. Nice.

I would have loved to see Clint Mansell scoring this film - I think his work would fit the style of the movie perfectly.

Though i'm not really familiar with Mansell's work. I think he'd of been a much interesting and much more inspiring choice than Zimmer. I'm pretty sure he hasn't scored a film of this scale before. So it would feel fresh and unique.

Tbh, anybody would be better for MOS than Zimmer and his cronies (excluding Powell), Bates, Reznor and the like, imo.

I'll reserve my judgment on Zimmer - I just hope he tries something a little different. He can be great, but his recent work is beginning to grow repetitive.

I tried to keep an open mind and reserve my judgement for Zimmer's last two Batman scores. Nothing but sound design, droning and atmospheric music, which can work for some films. But Batman? His MOS score will probably be slightly different from his Batman scores but it'll still feel typical of his style. Just like with TDK trilogy he only wrote what benefitted him and his style not the film. Basically he stayed in his comfort zone most of the time. I didn't think Batman when I heard those scores I only heard a score that would go well with a Michael Bay/ Jerry Bruckheimer movie. Not to mention a new variation from his Black Rain theme. So I'm not expecting anything special from this score.

Elevator Man's still trolling. Nice.

He's not trolling. For one, he's not trying to get people riled up, he's just disappointed with Zimmer scoring the movie.

It would be nice if Zimmer took a different approach to the film entirely... it would be very disappointing if he rehashed his Batman approach for Superman. I don't expect anything like Sherlock Holmes (which was a refreshingly unorthodox Zimmer score with the gypsy fiddle and untuned piano), but it would be nice if he took the same approach like he did with Da Vinci Code.

I expect an otherworldy sound created with very earthbound acoustic instruments, possibly of multi-ethnic origin. Aided by plenty of synths, of course.

Though i'm not really familiar with Mansell's work. I think he'd of been a much interesting and much more inspiring choice than Zimmer. I'm pretty sure he hasn't scored a film of this scale before. So it would feel fresh and unique.

Tbh, anybody would be better for MOS than Zimmer and his cronies (excluding Powell), Bates, Reznor and the like, imo.

I tried to keep an open mind and reserve my judgement for Zimmer's last two Batman scores. Nothing but sound design, droning and atmospheric music, which can work for some films. But Batman? His MOS score will probably be slightly different from his Batman scores but it'll still feel typical of his style. Just like with TDK trilogy he only wrote what benefitted him and his style not the film. Basically he stayed in his comfort zone most of the time. I didn't think Batman when I heard those scores I only heard a score that would go well with a Michael Bay/ Jerry Bruckheimer movie. Not to mention a new variation from his Black Rain theme. So I'm not expecting anything special from this score.

Mansell's The Fountain is still one of my favourite scores of all time.

I think Batman Begins had the best score of the last three Batman films, primarily because we had more of an orchestra and James Newton Howard's influence was stronger. He seemed to ground Zimmer well. Zimmer always tends to be strong when he collaborates - e.g. Gladiator score with Lisa Gerrard.

The Dark Knight is an action score. I think it works well in the film, but besides some nice moment for Harvey's theme, I feel like the emotional level is lost. I agree - a little too much sound design and slamming. I find it hard to listen to on CD without the film.

Rises pretty much repeats that. I think it's the slamming sensation that I dislike the most. I still think he is a strong composer, but he needs to move on again.

Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised by MOS. I hope he will try to create 'Kryptonian-like' music and instruments. I guess that's a big thing for me - I want more music from his score. Less effects.

Mansell's The Fountain is still one of my favourite scores of all time.

I've heard many praise this score. Might have to check it out after I see the film.

I think Batman Begins had the best score of the last three Batman films, primarily because we had more of an orchestra and James Newton Howard's influence was stronger. He seemed to ground Zimmer well. Zimmer always tends to be strong when he collaborates - e.g. Gladiator score with Lisa Gerrard.

The highlight of this score for me is the piece that plays on the monorail with little Bruce and his parents. I also like the use of that particular theme at the end with Bruce and Rachel. You can tell JNH wrote that. I also like the piece that played when Batman was infected by Crane's fear toxin and the track Lasiurus. That's about it.

The Dark Knight is an action score. I think it works well in the film, but besides some nice moment for Harvey's theme, I feel like the emotional level is lost. I agree - a little too much sound design and slamming. I find it hard to listen to on CD without the film.

Harvey Two-Face is the highlight for me it uses the best theme ( for me) from the BB score in the middle brilliantly. Again you can tell JNH wrote that. It fit's well with this idea of Dent being the "white knight" and "a symbol of hope". Even I have to admit that "Like A Dog Chasing Cars is a pretty good action cue. I think that theme fits Nolan's Batman nicely. Other than that nothing special about this score.

Rises pretty much repeats that. I think it's the slamming sensation that I dislike the most. I still think he is a strong composer, but he needs to move on again.

I don't own TDKR score. I'll get it eventually b/c I own the other two as well as some other Batman scores from the B:TAS and some from the previous franchise. I didn't really notice anything special with this score in the context of the movie. There was a lot rehashed tracks from the last films which I must admit was a little distracting as was the sound mix. I can tell JNH was absent on this one. He was the heart of the previous two scores. This score was lacking some of that heart, imo.

But yeah I agree Zimmer is a strong composer at times, "Gladiator", "Hannibal", "Th DaVinci Code", "Angels & Demons", and "Sherlock Holmes" are all proof of that. I just think his Batman scores didn't bring the best out of him.

Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised by MOS. I hope he will try to create 'Kryptonian-like' music and instruments. I guess that's a big thing for me - I want more music from his score. Less effects.

Hopefully. Just would've been nice to see somebody like Don Davis or somebody bold get hired like the way Thomas Newman was for Skyfall. I know he's a regular collaborator for Mendes, but still I didn't think they'd go with Newman. Definitely curious to hear how he'll approach that.

BTW, is the Megamind score album worth purchasing? I was thinking about getting a copy. I've seen the movie a while ago. Don't recall much of the score in the movie. I was just wondering if it's any better on the album before I decide to get it.

Last edited:
He's not trolling. For one, he's not trying to get people riled up, he's just disappointed with Zimmer scoring the movie.

If you play the same tune on at least 3 boards (one of them being TASM, where Zimemr has no place in discussions) saying the very same thing over and over again, you're a troll. He is trying to get peopel riled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"