Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by FilmNerdJamie, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

Hype us Please! :woot:

2. Excel

Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Zimmers the best, his TDKR score was awesome. He is going to kill it for MOS

3. The Shield

I liked Zimmer's Batman stuff too. Even though most didn't, I thought it was good stuff.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Did most not like his Batman stuff? I thought it was popular.

5. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Well-Known Member

creating a theme for the most iconic superhero ever is a tough task. zimmer is one of the best but even for him it's a challenge. his batman work has been good, but i think his best work in recent years has been on the sherlock holmes films. his theme for holmes is excellent, perfectly fitting. let's hope he can do that for supes.

7. The Shield

I've read more often then not people around here saying it was too drum heavy. I enjoyed it myself.

8. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

"Around here" means a small minority. Despite the lack of distinct theme, his TDK trilogy music is very much loved by the general audiences.

9. Supermanila

Supermanila Well-Known Member

well he just got nominated for next year's Grammy's for TDKR. He's going up against Howard Shore and John Williams.

10. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

I'm a fan of Zimmer's work on the TDK trilogy, but I want something completely different for Superman. I have to admit Junkie XL's involvement concerns me a bit because the bassy, electronica-inspired elements of the Batman/Inception scores is precisely what I do not want for Superman. I hope the choice of The Thin Red Line cue for the Comic Con trailer is an indication of the approach that Snyder and Zimmer want to take with MOS's score. Something more traditionally orchestral and heroic.

11. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I really want him to revisit his Backdraft stuff

12. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I'm so excited to hear what Zimmer came up with for Superman. Like, I wonder if there will be the one Superman theme or he'll alternate between a lot of different themes and variations like he did for Batman.

I actaully think Zimmer is the perfect guy for the job. Superman's music really just needs to be simple and powerful and he can definitely deliver that. Zimmer will help give this movie that kick in the ass to show the general audience that this isn't your daddy's Superman.

13. X Knight

X Knight Hope

I really hope there's a definite Superman theme. didn't really get that with the Nolan Bat films.

there were several "themes" going around but not one major theme like the Elfman theme.

14. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

really wasn't this the distinctive bat theme it played all throughout the entire trilogy

15. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

^ Not really. It's there in Begins, but not really in TDK and TDKR. The chord progression is there, but not the actual melody. It kind of evolved over the films, which was cool.

But I do think Superman needs "the" theme.

16. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Pfffttt too drum heavy. It was epic and just what a Batman movie needed.

17. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

Sort of. I mean, there was this really nice melody Zimmer used in BB (very prominent in the end credits), and he completely ditched that for TDK and TDKR.

I personally think Zimmer's TDK and TDKR scores just aren't that great. I think BB is the best one, score-wise. It's pretty varied to boot, and JNH's contributions really elevate it.

18. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

19. Rust

Rust First Son Of Yesterday

Tweaks the output of a synth, I guess. Sounds cool, although the same thing, more or less, can be achieved via the various synth-plugins you use through your workstation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTC4EM9DefQ

I think we'll hear some sweet crispy soundscapes in MOS.

20. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Love that theme thats definitely Batman's theme in the movies. I got so excited in Rises when he put the suit on again and came out as Batman and that music came on.

21. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap if Superman has a proper theme? I know everyone wants one because they are stuck on the old theme but I don't care as long as the soundtrack is good. I also don't care if it's traditional orchestrated music or not as long as the music is good and fits the film. I'm a total score ****e but I've never been a theme one and do not understand the obsession with it.

I loved Elfman and Shirley Walkers Batman scores for the Burton films and Timm/Dini animated series and I also loved Zimmers and Newton Howards in the Nolan version.

I loved the Williams Superman score (I'm thinking of changing my ringtone to it). It's big and iconic and noone will ever forget it but unless Zimmer pulls a Newton Howard on Green Lantern I think that he's going to come up a good score like he did with Batman.

22. Rust

I'm with you. A fanfare ala Williams' for when Superman enters the frame is about as far away from what I want in MOS as it can come. I do want a Superman-theme in MOS, but I'd prefer something more subtle and building AND I wouldnt mind the TDK-approach where the theme builds throughout the entire trilogy along with the character. I do want recurring themes to just random cues, but subtlety really is the key here and not how obvious Williams did it in Superman and Star Wars in the 70s.
    And just to make it clear, I still think Williams' Superman-theme is the greatest CBM-theme ever.

23. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

One thing's for sure, if Snyder wants Zimmer to do a full theme, Zimmer is more than capable. He's a theme machine. Nolan obviously didn't want one, so Zimmer didn't provide us with one.

24. Rust

Well, the trilogy has had some recurring themes. Batman had a few himself, the hero-theme being the most prominent and in TDKR Bane had the chanting. I guess that would qualify as a theme.

25. suped

suped Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.