Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by FilmNerdJamie, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

YES! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have faith that it's going to be something all original and it will be EPIC sounding. Absolutely can't wait to hear what he comes up with.

2. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

I have this strange feeling that Nolan is going to have A LOT of input as to how the score is going to come out.

3. raybia

raybia Signing off

Not surprising but its a very good choice. Looking forward to hearing Zimmer's music characterization of Superman.

I would love if he can erase in my mind Williams' score but odds are he won't be able. I don't know if anyone can.

4. Alchemy Arcade

Alchemy Arcade Well-Known Member

Well now I'm even more excited.

5. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

[YT]C7dlwseXVn0[/YT]

[YT]ob83RPV_VKc[/YT]

So after he concluded his lackluster scores for the Nolan batman trilogy he'll begin writing new lackluster scores for the MOS franchise. Oh goodie. So Hans is also a liar. He said a while back that he wouldn't score Superman "it'd be like trying top Beethoven's 9th" or something like that he said. So he must think he can top Williams' theme? Good luck on that.

They couldn't find anybody else? Somebody who could use a project like this. Somebody who's trying to breakout like Chris Bacon, for example. Or a established composer like Giachinno, Powell, Don Davis, Marco Beltrami, Shore, Desplat to name a few. Zimmer and his cronies are scoring every blockbuster movie these days it's pathetic. Hollywood give them a break already. This just proves that Zimmer is very overrated. He'll probably end up scoring the JL movie whenever that happens.

I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's gonna be really tough for me. They really should've went with somebody else instead, imho.

6. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

Any complaints? No? Didn't think so :oldrazz:

7. bunk

bunk superhero fan

Agreed. Makes more sense to go with a different style. Personally, I wouldn't even be that bothered if there wasn't a strong theme anyway.

I would've been really disappointed if it were Bates. Zimmer will know what to do with movie, I'm sure.

8. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

I don't think he was lying at the time (however, people involved with the film industry lie all the time) -- he was busy working on TDKR and Madagascar 3 at the time. And what you were referring to is that he wouldn't re-arrange or use John Williams' themes.

Zimmer getting involved is purely Nolan's doing. And even then he probably wasn't even swayed into doing MOS until he saw footage and decided he wanted to do this. It's not like the studio had a film option on him like they do with the actors. It's not just Nolan calling a favor on a friend and Zimmer changed his tune, he had to have seen some footage and liked what he saw.

You're overreacting to this. And he's better than the alternative: Tyler Bates.

9. DorkyFresh

DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

I'm ecstatic hearing about Hans scoring! He's a very versatile composer with a wide range of styles. You know you're good when you can make a score like Kung Fu Panda's then pull a 180 with a score like Inception. He's also well verse heroic themes (Gladiator, Last Samurai, the Rock, Pearl Harbor, etc). My worries about the score being uninspired and underwhelming can now be put to rest.

10. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Eh. Solid. Safe. Decent, to be sure, but often somewhat generic. Hopefully he'll at least come up with something that works well with the film, if its not particularly memorable.

Can't wait to hear the "foreign choral voices" for Kryptonian sequences, and the "dundundundundundundundundun" applied to Superman.

11. Elevator Man

Yeah I am overreacting but I have my reasons. They really should've went with somebody else. It's like every big franchise movie is being scored by Zimmer and his cronies. It would be nice to see somebody else getting a shot at a film like this. It's not that Hans really needs this project. And that's not saying much that Zimmer is better than Bates. There's many composers working today I feel are way better than Bates.

12. A.Stabelli

A.Stabelli One Man Reign of Terror.

Hans is a great choice. I feel he can bring something different to Superman. And what this movie needs is to be different from the previous Superman films. The score needs to reflect that, and I think Hans is the right man for the job.

13. mclay18

Hans is a talented guy and when he puts his mind to it, he can turn out some amazing product. Omitting his animated scores, work like The Thin Red Line, The Da Vinci Code and "The Pacific" represent Zimmer at his creative best. Even the minimalist The Ring was stunningly beautiful, in a bleak, monochromatic way.

It's just that he's doing a lot of action movies, and a lot of his action scores today have become uninspired. And most of his work on Nolan's movies have fallen into the uninspired territory. Even Inception's best music moments were mostly inspired from Zack Hemsey's trailer music for said film.

Considering Zimmer will be working with Snyder and not Nolan at the spotting and scoring sessions, I pray Snyder lets Zimmer go in different creative directions. Have him write music to picture, as opposed to writing a cue that will be cut into pieces to fit the film.

14. Elevator Man

It'll be different from Williams' score that's for sure. But it won't be any different from Zimmer's other blockbuster scores or any other MV/RC blockbuster scores for that matter. Superman shouldn't sound like any other blockbuster score especially ones scored by Zimmer and his crew.

15. mclay18

The film is well over a year away from release. There's always a possibility that the studio wants a different approach, throws Zimmer's score out and brings in someone like Alexandre Desplat or Patrick Doyle to bring a more lyrical tone to the film.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that happening. But the possibility of Zimmer being replaced on MOS is very slim.

16. Elevator Man

Which is very true I'm sad to agree.. I'll try to keep an open mind but like I said before it's going to be tough for me.

17. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

The greatest news I've read today :up:

18. KaptainKrypton

KaptainKrypton Well-Known Member

Well, at least Bates wasn't hired? The score AT LEAST needs to be as good as Inception, but I'm not getting my hopes up, though. At this point, I'm just hoping it doesn't end up as hit twenty-fifth aping of The Rock.

19. Blue Sugar

Blue Sugar Well-Known Member

Love Zimmer. :up:

20. DorkyFresh

DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

Have you seen the first Kung Fu Panda? There's not a dark tone amongst any of that score. Even the darkest parts of the score still sound fun and exciting.

21. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Exactly. Hans knows how to do epic.

In the past Zimmer said: "John Williams, the greatest living composer — full stop. And that happens to be one of his greatest themes. So no. And I’m not thinking of rewriting Beethoven’s ninth either. It just sounds like a thankless task, you know?"

A reboot of the music is essential and we will get that. I'm very confident Zimmer will move in a different direction and not try to replicate that style of theme. Therefore each thing can be judged seperately.

22. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

and superman score shoud have some dark tones aswell

superman is'nt finding nemo lol

23. Nemeres

Nemeres Easy, miss. I've got you.

This is awesome. I just hope he's past seeing this as a "thankless task" and gives it his all. I'd also love it if he took a cue from his own stuff in "Prince of Egypt".

24. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Zimmer is known for his powerful scores, but can he do soft melodious tones for emotional parts of the movie ?

I would not mind if he teams up with JNH again, but it may not happen.

25. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

Lion King - This Land
    [YT]nhMUvhIAPtY[/YT]

The Last Samurai - Safe Passage
    [YT]n9U0gGW_F8M[/YT]

Gladiator - Now We Are Free
    [YT]6t_4BL1TXbw[/YT]

Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End - What Shall We Die For
    [YT]w2nMwMOUIos[/YT]

just to name a few

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012