Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zimmer is known for his powerful scores, but can he do soft melodious tones for emotional parts of the movie ?

Here's some more examples:

Light - The Thin Red Line

One Day - Pirates of the Caribbean 3

Main Theme - "The Pacific"

I gotta say, I'm not really thrilled about this. I didn't care for his Batman scores that much...kinda generic. Didn't really stand out to me at all

So what do you guys think are the chances that we might here some of Zimmer's work for MOS when it comes to the debut of MOS's trailer? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the music used for Nolan's Inception and TDKR trailers were all original pieces by Zimmer for the films as well right?

Inceptions trailer music was by Zack Hemsey. The TDKR trailers however have contained Zimmers score.

Thing is though that Nolan always has the music in mind while he's making the film. I think Zimmer was already getting started with the score while they were filming so that's why they got to use the music for TDKR.

For MOS however it seems as if he's just going to get started or has been prepping these past couple of weeks and the film has already been wrapped up for a while. I'm not to sure we'll get to hear any music from the actual film when we get our first trailer seeing as it comes out in less than a month.

It'd be neat if they get a piece by Zack Hemsey for the 1st MOS trailer though. He really knows how to make memorable tunes.

So what do you guys think are the chances that we might here some of Zimmer's work for MOS when it comes to the debut of MOS's trailer? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the music used for Nolan's Inception and TDKR trailers were all original pieces by Zimmer for the films as well right?
I would say the chances are slim to none for the teaser trailer next month. Then I would say maybe for Theatrical Trailer 1, and a real good probability for Theatrical Trailer 2. However, I really don't know how recording scores is done. I always thought that was one of the last things that was done. Like 2 or 3 months before release. Also, I have always thought that it didn't really take that long to actually record, but I'm sure it's the writing of the score that takes the longest. Maybe someone who has a knowledge of how the process usually goes could shed some light on the matter.

It varies. Like I said Chris Nolan works with Zimmer pretty much from the beginning because he has the music in mind while he's filming. Most composers though seem to get started with the orchestrating aspect once the production has already wrapped up filming.

Didn't Zimmer say months back in an interview that he will 100% not be doing the score for MOS??? I was actually sad when I read that interview. Way to keep us on our toe's!

This is GREAT news!!! I can't tell you guys how excited I am to hear this, he was the man I wanted from the start (for the score, perverts :woot:)!

Glad they finally broke the news. With Zimmer there's potential for greatness, but also the possibility of something generic. He does know his themes though, so I hope he'll reinvent himself somehow and not just churn out his usual stuff.

I'm hoping for something in the vicinity of Gladiator, Inception and The Prince of Egypt.

Ok cool I can understand what you're saying but I want a THEME!

A lot of superhero films that have come out, in fact all of them are lacking that actual 'distinct' theme.

I mean Dark Knight and the new Batman series share a 'sound' and have a very atmospheric audio, but the actual theme takes so long to get to it just feels like one big mash up of sounds.

I think a theme tune should distinguish the film and character as solidly as it can, so I kinda want that little 'jingle' in my head where you can whistle it or hum it and know straight away what it is, does that make sense? Not sure if I'm making sense.

Basically I feel like some Melody is missing from a LOT of Superhero films, and Superman is the Epitome of Hero! SO this thing has got to Sound Heroic, YES I'm not saying don't have the darkness and the grit, that is still possible and indeed important but I really would like this to blow other superhero films out the water Score wise and I think the Theme could help a lot.

Honestly can you remember Avengers Theme? or The Hulk? or Captain America? Even Spiderman?

Those few seconds can distinguish a character instantly and I think that's what's missing from these new films.

I'm NOT saying recreate John Williams theme or remix it , but if you're going in a whole new Direction then, please make it Legendary! Please!

I remember watching the opening of Superman 1,2 and 3 with Christopher Reeves those are some Legendary opening sequences that actually sent shivers down my spine for many years watching them. You knew this guy was SUPERMAN!

SO basically I hope something like this can be achieved.

I don't think it's a case of movies not having themes or melodies, it's just we get so many more blockbuster movies these days than what audiences got 30-40 years ago that scores don't really stand out as much anymore, I'll hazard a guess and say that if the Williams Superman theme was written today no-one would bat an eyelid about it just as much as the didn't bat one for Nolan's Batman, or any Marvel movie. The only ones who really take notice of scores are film nerds like us. People hoping for a modern Superman theme that will be instantly recognizable should lower their expectations a bit, the score will compliment the movie and that's all that should be expected.

Honestly, I know i'm in the minority with this, but it's not all that important to me if the theme is memorable, legendary or iconic.

That's what I want the story to achieve, not the music. The music I just want to be complimentary, enjoyable and not overpowering - which if it's written by a competent composer like Zimmer, it will be.

I gotta say, I'm not really thrilled about this. I didn't care for his Batman scores that much...kinda generic. Didn't really stand out to me at all
i'm sorry i havent posted for a while but what!! i respect your opinion kalel but zimmer at his best and that includes hia batman score(s) is so unique and varied in tone that he makes other composers look pedestrian, there's a reason why he's spawned alot of copycats and that's because he's awesome.:word:

Honestly, I know i'm in the minority with this, but it's not all that important to me if the theme is memorable, legendary or iconic.

That's what I want the story to achieve, not the music. The music I just want to be complimentary, enjoyable and not overpowering - which if it's written by a competent composer like Zimmer, it will be.

i think score is incredibly important to a film because it accentuates everything on screen. it's one of the reasons why the og superman is so ingrained into peoples memories. i don't think the themes of this contemporary version will be as memorable as the williams score either so i agree with you on that part.

While I fully get your point, I do feel that you may feel this way because you have no love for, and/or don't appreciate the Chris Reeve films (as you already stated you don't, many times.).

Just as Dick Donner stated in an interview... The first time he was sitting in-front of the big screen and heard the John Williams score while the names of the actors and staff were being shown (right before the movie started), he literally heard the words "SUPERMAN"!!! IMO John Williams score for Sups is the most powerful score I have EVER heard, very telling for the character who IS Superman.

The score is HUGE, The score manages the story, please remember that girly! :)

I'm on the fence, while Zimmer has done some good stuff in the past his new stuff has been kind of generic and bleak.

I think people are too easily satisfied nowadays aswell, I just hope there some spine tinglingly great music in this film because the actual footage is sounding epic, if we can get good score to go with it I'll be happy.

This is great news in my opinion. I don't know if we'll hear anything in the upcoming trailer as trailers have been known to use score from other fims.

Now I do wonder what we'll get will Superman have a main theme? Has he been told to go radically differeny to Williams? I guess time will tell

i think score is incredibly important to a film because it accentuates everything on screen. it's one of the reasons why the og superman is so ingrained into peoples memories. i don't think the themes of this contemporary version will be as memorable as the williams score either so i agree with you on that part.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good score that has a recognisable element to it. And Zimmer has done a few himself.

For example, Sherlock Holmes. When that theme plays I get all excited :)

But I also thought the BB and TDK scores worked incredibly well... But it's not like if I started humming parts of that score people would recognise what it was.

And it certainly didn't detract from those films, so I just don't think it'll be that big a deal if the score isn't so distinctive.

While I fully get your point, I do feel that you may feel this way because you have no love for, and/or don't appreciate the Chris Reeve films (as you already stated you don't, many times.).

Just as Dick Donner stated in an interview... The first time he was sitting in-front of the big screen and heard the John Williams score while the names of the actors and staff were being shown (right before the movie started), he literally heard the words "SUPERMAN"!!! IMO John Williams score for Sups is the most powerful score I have EVER heard, very telling for the character who IS Superman.

The score is HUGE, The score manages the story, please remember that girly! :)

The OLD score is huge, in terms of how big it was in the day, how memorable, and how nostalgic it makes people feel.

But you're right, as someone who is not a huge worshipper of the Donner films, the John Williams theme does not make me feel nostalgic. It, like the rest of that franchise, feels cheesy to me. Outdated.

Though my strong hopes that they avoid any reference to the JW theme is completely seperate from my belief that a fairly generic score for MOS wouldn't be this huge fail.

In fact, I could see it as a positive.

Great news but at the same time it kills me that Man Of Steel and The Dark Knight series will have no relation whatsoever.

It just doesn't make sense. The Nolan brothers and Goyer are behind both movies... and Hans Zimmer scoring MoS is jsut icing on the cake. Honestly, if the Dark Knight trilogy was in the same universe as MoS, then a Justice League movie would KILL at the box office.

Agreed; I honestly don’t think that’ll be the case here since:

• I think it was said somewhere that they were intentionally holding back on the scale of the Earth battles due to “The Avengers”.
Holding back as in not revealing the big fights scenes for this movie or holding back as in saving it for the sequels?

God I hope there's more to the fights than the Smallville stuff. Superman needs a huge big city throwdown to show that he ain't no *****. Show the more badass side of Superman and the other Comic book movies will pale in comparison.

Oh and, interesting news about Hans. I expect something new, powerful and engaging. Nothing less is acceptable.

I'll agree with that. It doesn't matter if the score is brillant if the film stinks, and vice versa.
Hopefully they'll meet in the middle and give us something great.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good score that has a recognisable element to it. And Zimmer has done a few himself.

For example, Sherlock Holmes. When that theme plays I get all excited :)

But I also thought the BB and TDK scores worked incredibly well... But it's not like if I started humming parts of that score people would recognise what it was.

And it certainly didn't detract from those films, so I just don't think it'll be that big a deal if the score isn't so distinctive.

The OLD score is huge, in terms of how big it was in the day, how memorable, and how nostalgic it makes people feel.

But you're right, as someone who is not a huge worshipper of the Donner films, the John Williams theme does not make me feel nostalgic. It, like the rest of that franchise, feels cheesy to me. Outdated.

Though my strong hopes that they avoid any reference to the JW theme is completely seperate from my belief that a fairly generic score for MOS wouldn't be this huge fail.

In fact, I could see it as a positive.
well i have to disagree about tdk's theme(s), i think they are recognisable maybe not as distinctive as other themes but definitely memorable. i think there are so many parts to the score that the central theme gets lost a little but if i start humming the more memorable stuff some people might recognise it or maybe they think im just some mad person with my own theme song.:woot:

all the TDKR trailers needed was that two note thing at the end and everyone craps their pants. Hopefully zimmer can pull out something great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"