Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zimmer said poor the man who was to score the next Superman movie.

I'm sorry I can't get over so much poetric justice, irony and self-owning.

^^^It really makes him come off as a "hypocrite", but then again this is the man that called Elfman's batman theme "jolly". He should've kept his word and let another composer take a shot a scoring MOS.

The news is surprising, yet not surprising. It'd be great if the report explained why he changed his mind. Nevertheless, I'm sure he'll produce some incredible work for the movie.

I'd be really interested to hear what changed Zimmer's mind.

maybe he read the story/saw footage that impressed him so much it convinced him to join the project.

if so, then that's a good sign.....I guess.

^^^It really makes him come off as a "hypocrite", but then again this is the man that called Elfman's batman theme "jolly". He should've kept his word and let another composer take a shot a scoring MOS.

I dont see how he could be hypocrite. His previous statement was 1 and a half years ago and, lets face it, he was right. Very difficult to fill John Williams shoes for a Superman movie score.

Zack Snyder had a similar opinion about direct a Superman movie before he was hired.

The thing is: this situations changes, and ideas are created. He probably found a way to make a musically interpretation of this new Superman, specially if he read the script, saw some footage and talked to Snyder and Nolan about what this new franchise is about.

I'm so pumped about this news.....I don't think well ever really know the truth about why he changed his mind, but whatever....I can't wait :)

the music from the new batman trailer makes me even more excited Zimmer is scoring supes

Please create something that's instantly recognisable like your work on Pirates of the Caribbean and on Sherlock Holmes, Hans. Don't give us something that feels interchangeable.

Last edited:
people still bashing bates lol

his watchmen score is so damn underrated he was able to nail the tone and atmosphere of the 1970 - 1980's that watchmen represented had a very blade runner esque sound

especially this track

For the record, it's not like I'm saying I hope the MOS theme is not catchy.

I just don't thinkk it needs to try and be anywhere near the level of memorable that JW's was.

Please create something that's instantly recognisable like your work on Pirates of the Caribbean and on Sherlock Holmes, Hans. Don't give us something that feels interchangeable.

That's like asking a candy company to come out with something sweet but not too sugary.

people still bashing bates lol

his watchmen score is so damn underrated he was able to nail the tone and atmosphere of the 1970 - 1980's that watchmen represented had a very blade runner esque sound

especially this track
I'm 100% with you. Bates score for Watchmen was great.

Sure it was heavily Vangelis influenced (borderline aping) but he successfully pulled it off I think. It works.

I actually would have liked a more modern score by Bates on Superman...like some of what he did on 300....rather than a more traditional orchestral one or Zimmer's death-by-reverb.

I actually would have liked a more modern score by Bates on Superman...like some of what he did on 300....rather than a more traditional orchestral one or Zimmer's death-by-reverb.

something bates did on watchmen? hum.

Whether or not you remember how a film score goes does not indicate intelligence level.

It indicates how catchy the tune is, and how often a person has heard it/cares about it.

JW theme has been around for decades, and is very distinctive and catchy. It's been used in various pop culture references and is generally just well known.

The Dark Knight's score has been around a few years. It's no where near as distinctive or memorable. It's heard in the background of the film, and that's it.

And I'll I'm saying, is that if the same is true of MOS. If MOS has the same kind of score as TDK has, it will be absolutely fine.

Because a good superhero film doesn't NEED a score like the JW one anymore. In fact, it's just not really the trend, is it?

it depends how you interperet the score, there are moments that stick in my head like the theme at the end, it's just a more nuanced. not the kind of theme that people would assume is "catchy" in the normal fashion like a song that is popular or go around humming like an idiot. i don't think thats the nature of many contemporary scores, they may not be instantly riffable but definitely memorable and way more then just the stuff you hear in the "background" of the film.

That's like asking a candy company to come out with something sweet but not too sugary.

Not following you. It's not like I'm saying I want something recognisable but not too recognisable. The Pirates of the Caribbean and Sherlock Holmes, scores wouldn't fit in the majority of other action films, hence they are not interchangeable.

I dont see how he could be hypocrite. His previous statement was 1 and a half years ago and, lets face it, he was right. Very difficult to fill John Williams shoes for a Superman movie score.

Zack Snyder had a similar opinion about direct a Superman movie before he was hired.

The thing is: this situations changes, and ideas are created. He probably found a way to make a musically interpretation of this new Superman, specially if he read the script, saw some footage and talked to Snyder and Nolan about what this new franchise is about.
For the win.

Looking forward to hear what he does.

something bates did on watchmen? hum.

I don't remember his score too well in it...maybe because I found the usage of classic rock songs so badly done it was distracting. BUt I actually liked some of the rock guitars mixed with atmospheric stuff in 300. Some feel that music like that can date a film, but I'm more concerned with how a movie will play now than in 20 years.

Last edited:
Not following you. It's not like I'm saying I want something recognisable but not too recognisable. The Pirates of the Caribbean and Sherlock Holmes, scores wouldn't fit in the majority of other action films, hence they are not interchangeable.

I think Zimmer's work has gotten pretty redundant across the board...kinda' like Elfman's is in its own way. If anything, I'd like a Zimmer score that doesn't actually sound like a Zimmer score.

And POTC/Holmes I do find that you could switch a lot in between them. If you didn't know which was supposed to go to which in the first place, you could mix the two quite easily. But then the same could be said of much of Williams' stuff, too. Mostly for me, I just don't like how heavy and reverb much of Zimmer's stuff is. It could probably work fine for a movie like Superman...but even then, I like the compositions from Transformers (whoever did that) better.

Last edited:
Hopefully Zimmer doesn't make it as dull, boring and unmemorable as his work in the Batman movies; especially considering he's capable of better.

Why exactly?

He was saying that to be respectful but frankly the John Williams score is terribly outdated. Not like another score wont work. And besides, no one besides fans really care about that.

All the good parts from 300 were plagiarized from Elliot Goldenthal's Titus score. "Remember Us" and "Returns a King" for example -- all from Goldenthal's hand, not Bates.

All the good parts from 300 were plagiarized from Elliot Goldenthal's Titus score. "Remember Us" and "Returns a King" for example -- all from Goldenthal's hand, not Bates.

Well then give Goldenthal a ring and get him in on it. ;)

Hopefully Zimmer doesn't make it as dull, boring and unmemorable as his work in the Batman movies; especially considering he's capable of better.

I strongly agree, but with Nolan and Snyder involved we'll be lucky to get something decent (musicwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"