Hans Zimmer & Tom Holkenborg scoring Batman v Superman

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Golgo-13, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator Pleasury

Senator Pleasury Well-Known Member

I have never been a fan of keeping the same theme for a different approach. I was more than satisfied they left Elfman and Williams in the movies they worked for. But this case is bizarre. Would Zimmer be doing a different bat-theme than the one he composed himself?

2. Bludhaven

Bludhaven Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  3. titansupes

titansupes Well-Known Member

^ Thanks for that, Bludhaven.

Q: How did your process for coming up with new music change with Dark Knight Rises after scoring the other two with James Newton Howard?

A: Chris Nolan managed to kill off all of James's characters :) .

4. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

Really cool for Hans to do that.

5. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

I've been keeping coy about Zimmer scoring TAS-M2. Tbh, I'm disappointed b/c I too enjoyed what Horner came up with for the last film. And wish he had returned instead. I'll pass judgement whenever I see the film and hear the score, but I'm tired of Zimmer scoring this and that movie. He's already got "Interstellar" next year, Why does he need to score a Spiderman sequel? I guess he likes sloppy seconds.

B/c TPTB want that "Epic Zimmer sound' in their big budget summer blockbusters. Some composers are even forced to emulate Zimmer's techniques for these type of films.

Even though a lot f people up here believe I hate Zimmer with a passion. And I really don't. I'm just not a fan of his superhero scores. I enjoy and own a few of his scores like Gladiator, which made me take notice of him, Black Rain, Hannibal, Sherlock Holmes, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and a few others. The main problem I have with him scoring these superhero movies is that he doesn't really get out of his comfort zone. Instead of adjusting his music to fit Batman's style he writes a score that's comfortable in his own style and techniques. Theres not much nuance between his Batman scores and some of his current (or even past) action scores.

I have never seen Prince Of Egypt or heard Zimmer's score to it, but I've heard good things about it. That piece sounds very inspiring and promising. And it sort of reminds me of Goldsmith's theme from "The Mummy(1999)". I agree I believe Hans can write a great Batman or Superman score. It's just those films have wasted his talents b/c the directors haven't given him to be creative, imo. Instead they want the same generic droning sound. Not surprising b/c I personally believe Nolan and Snyder don't quite understand film music. They seem to rather understand sound design. Heck Nolan has Zimmer scoring to the script instead of the movie. :huh: What sense does that make? It's FILM scoring not script scoring! I think Nolan is a great filmmaker but his approach to film music in his movies boggles my mind.

I've never heard or seen Muppets Treasure Island. Sounds like a fun swashbuckling adventure score. I wouldn't be surprised if that's better than each of his Pirates scores. And eventhough Crimson Tide is a riveting movie with strong performances from Denzel and Hackman. That score was always the first thing that pops in my head when I think about that movie. I'm going to be honest right now, but the MV/RC/ Zimmer sound was at it's peak in the 90s with Speed, Bad Boys, Con Air, etc. Today it's gotten stale and dull. And eventhough that style works in Bay's and Bruckheimer's movies (especially in the 90s) it doesn't belong in a Batman, Superman, or any other superhero movie for that matter, imho.

I agree. I honestly believe Nolan and Snyder are holding him back from any creativity. It's like they're micromanaging him and his music. So it could be the way they want it to sound. Instead of it serving the film. Sadly, Zimmer doesn't seem to have a problem with that either.

I disagree about Rises. That score was really lacking any heart to me. I always believed JNH found the heart of the previous two films through his music more than Hans did. With his absence it was severly lacking emotionally for me. It's easily the weakest score of TDKT.

Yeah I somewhat agree. Just his superhero scores aren't the best examples of why he's a great composer, imho.

I believe you. I just wish people up here would stop calling me a hater just b/c I'm not a fan of his superhero scores (TDKT & MOS). Ilike plenty ofother Zimmer scores. I'm actually curious about upcoming Rush score. I believe these days that Ron Howard seems to get the best out of him.

I enjoyed his first SH score. Haven't heard the score or even seen the second film yet. It never felt redundant to me. I love "Psychological Recovery... 6 Months". Now that is how you score an 18 minute climax. The music in that climax was better than the music he supplied for the climax's of TDKT and MOS, imho. The reason I say that b/c that particular cue always grabs my attention and am never bored by it. No matter how many times I listen to it I never tire of it and it never drags to me. And that's an 18 minute or so track. Now that 16 minute "A Dark Knight" track from TDK was redundant, imho. It's just the same theme on loop for ten minutes.

Indeed. I enjoyed Giacchino's Mission Impossible -Ghost Protocol very much.

I would love to hear a Powell Superman score, but it's not going to happen.

I don't think so."Main Title", "Batman To The Rescue", "Descent Into Mystery", "Childhood Remembered","Charge of the Batmobie", "Birth Of The Penguin/ Main Title", Kitty Party/Selina Transforms" screw it both of Elfman's Batman scores are in a category of its own. An each blow TDKT scores out ofthe water, imho. B89 "Main Title" and "Finale" alone are better than TDKT scores combined, imho. I don't know how the music from that interrogation scene in TDK, which was just the one/two note Joker motif blaring in the background is better than anything Elfman did in both Batman movies.

Actually Elfman did write the opening and end credits of B:TAS and is credited for it. After all that is his own theme he's adapting. Walker most likely conducted it. Anyways I agree with you for the most part, but I believe Elfman and the late great Walker are the King and Queen of Batman scores. And those moments you posted are indeed brilliant. Both scenes and music. Really reflects the Bruce's sacrifices and consequences of being Batman, imo.

6. the last son

The Last Samurai is Zimmer's best score. So much depth, heart, and intrigue in it.

7. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Much more affecting imo.

8. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

True, I thought he was just credited since it was a re-work of the 89 theme and Walker did the re-arrangement. It seems Elfman did do the re-arrangement himself.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  9. ЯɘvlveR

ЯɘvlveR danneB

[YT]MBO8pk4jJ88[/YT]

now i want matt bellamy to score it. :jedi

10. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I kind of disagree with the notion that ANY superhero score has to be swashbuckling, magical and catchy. It really just depends on the project. Elfman's theme would have felt out of place in Nolan's Batman movies. The more subtle, stirring approach worked for the realistic tone of those films.

It just gets frustrating as someone who loves both Elfman and Zimmer's Batman work to constantly see people arguing over who was better and trashing one to prop the other up. I honestly thought both approaches were brilliant. Elfman was more consistently brilliant, but Zimmer/JNH had plenty of cues that can make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

11. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

Here is an example of REALISTIC film music.

[YT]8NVIGG8h0OI[/YT]

:oldrazz:

But I can KIND of understand what you're saying. You wouldn't want a more operatic theme for a bit more subtle interpretation of the Batman universe ;)

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about the theme they used for the Batman/Superman power hour on WB. I love the way it would take each heroes leitmotiv and play it with the others instruments. S Batman's deeper sounds would sound hopeful for a second while Superman's guitar strings would get a little creepy.

Doesn't matter who the composer is, the World's Finest Theme needs to be something as iconic as that.

13. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Haha, yeah, that's all I mean. I mean, Zimmer definitely brought some bombastic elements to the score but a lot of it felt modern and edgy rather than classical (which is what I think a lot of film score purists yearn for).

It's not like I want film music to be wallpaper or sound design, but there's alternatives to the typical heroic score we're used to, especially for Batman.

14. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. Walker's theme has that element of tragedy within it, and a similar theme would be right at home in Nolan's Batman films. (But her Joker theme would be horribly out-of-place in TDK.)

But I wouldn't characterize Elfman or Goldenthal's work as swashbuckling or magical. They have melody and counterpoint -- and they have a certain broodiness and Gothic quality to the orchestration. That's entirely different than the wild fanfares and alternating time signatures for true swashbuckling scores like Adventures of Robin Hood, Cutthroat Island and Adventures of Don Juan.

15. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

I'd STRONGLY refrain from this kind of attitude.

16. Zorex

Zorex I'm 100% 50/50

I really don't know either. I mean, I get some people might be of the "less is more" mind, but... that's... a lot less.

17. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

I find Zimmer's MOS theme ("What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?") to be fantastic. It's both heroic, humble, and hummable (for those desiring such a thing).

With a new Batman film franchise with a new director, more importantly, I think he could deliver a similar score.

18. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Well-Known Member

My perception, I'll take whichever attitude I like.

TRUTH.

:D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. the last son

Hans Zimmer is really DC's ace in the hole. As long as he is in the fold DC will always have a chance. That is one thing I am grateful to Nolan for. Hans Zimmer deserves the nobel peace prize for his music. "If you love these people" is one of the greatest battle songs in comic book movie history.

20. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Well-Known Member

"If you love these people" is probably my favorite piece from the MOS soundtrack and one of my all time favorite pieces from Zimmer. :up:

21. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

That's good you love what Hans has done so far with the DC films he's worked on and all, but I'd rather WB look around for other composers. It'll become stale (which already has for me anyway) if he scores every DC franchise like WW, The Flash, JL, etc. There's plenty of composers that are just as capable and more as Hans is. They really need to be more diverse like Marvel, imho. And not just with composers either. COUGHDAVIDGOYERCOUGH

22. Caekzor

Caekzor Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  23. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

I'll see you around.

24. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

I don't think Zimmer beats anything Williams has ever done but I definately prefer his (Zimmer's) Dark Knight Trilogy score to Elfman's Batman score.

25. the last son

Zimmer has way more range than Williams. Williams vs Zimmer on one iconic track, Williams wins every time. It's the in between stuff the subtle, slow, building moments where Zimmer wins 9/10 times against Williams. Had you heard an entire Williams soundtrack? Very boring. Again just listen to the entire Last Samurai Soundtrack and there will be nothing else to discuss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.