BvS Hans Zimmer & Tom Holkenborg scoring Batman v Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think he'll do BvS, and all related Superman, but he'll never do solo Batman movies again. He's done with that. BvS is the biggest stage though, maybe ever for a comic movie and definitely of his career. He won't pass that up.

On a humorous note... It would be damn funny if they got James Horner for this one after the TASM 2 fiasco... :o

On a humorous note... It would be damn funny if they got James Horner for this one after the TASM 2 fiasco... :o

That would be poetic justice in a sense. Horner would do a good job, if he's not relegated to a temp track.

Zimmer should have no business in score the Worlds Finest movie. Since this is the first live action meeting between Batman and Superman, a few composers must considered :

1. The form the team of Danny Elfman and John Williams.

2. With Shirley Walker no longer with us, her co-composers the team Dynamic Music Partners. An update version of the new Batman Superman adventures theme is needed.

3. Christopher Darke. Think of the Public Enemies theme.

4. Shawn K Clement.

Elfman and Williams= EPIC beyond all reason :)

Drake deserves to score a live action film.

Having Zimmer and Powell team up would be quality (ie. the Kung Fu Panda movies)

Heck, Powell alone would make my day :)

Hans Zimmer said:
"I don't want to go and take what I did with Chris and just plonk it into another movie. There isn't one good reason to do it, and there are so many good reasons not to do it."

I wouldn't want to put the ideas I used in the Chris Nolan Batman movies into a Superman movie. It just wouldn't feel right."
Very ironic that he says that.

Hans Zimmer said:
I'll worry about it when I have to worry about it, and then, if I'm lucky, I'll have an idea. If I have an idea, I can do something with that, but if I don't have an idea, then my good idea is going to be, 'Get somebody else.'"

That'll be the smartest decision to make. But I doubt he'll turn down an opportunity to score a movie featuring Superman and Batman on the big screen together for the first time. Heck he doesn't mind sloppy seconds coughTASM2cough.

Wouldn't want an Elfman/Williams combo, not now, not ever. maybe if they'd done a batman/superman with the first film series, but not now, I do want this film to be a collaboration though, Zimmer for Supes and someone else for Bats. That or get Howard Shore, because that would be too awesome.

Shore...I think would capture the Gothic elements of Batman and the EPIC heroism of both characters. Great choice.

zimmer should be the man.. He did a masterpiece with MOS

Elfman and Williams= EPIC beyond all reason :)

Drake deserves to score a live action film.

Having Zimmer and Powell team up would be quality (ie. the Kung Fu Panda movies)

Heck, Powell alone would make my day :)

Exactly flaming coco. Great minds think alike. With this movie being the very first meeting Between the two towers of dc comics, the Williams-Elfman would serve us justice.

Zach, Nolan, and WB better call Hans or I will be pissed

Hans will be back, but casting isn't even completed yet. I believe he's just looking for a little ego stroking here.

Zimmer should have no business in score the Worlds Finest movie. Since this is the first live action meeting between Batman and Superman, a few composers must considered :

1. The form the team of Danny Elfman and John Williams.

2. With Shirley Walker no longer with us, her co-composers the team Dynamic Music Partners. An update version of the new Batman Superman adventures theme is needed.

3. Christopher Darke. Think of the Public Enemies theme.

4. Shawn K Clement.

I can expect Hans Zimmer to at least have a hand in scoring the next film, but I wouldn't expect him to do all of it. He kind of said all he needed to say (maybe all he had to say) about Batman scoring the Dark Knight Trilogy. That said, yes, I think another composer should step in and sort of add to what Hans did.

I don't think it should be Williams and Elfman. Don't get me wrong, though, I love both of those guys as composers. John Williams' Superman score stands out in my head as definitive as Danny Elfman's Batman score, and it would be a dream for them to work together to create something with that. But not this, for the exact same reason I can't really expect Hans Zimmer to score THIS Batman. This isn't Michael Keaton and Christopher Reeve. Those themes for their interpretations of those characters were breath-taking, but this isn't those interpretations. This is Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck. I just don't see it being a good idea, especially at such a formative time in a big universe like this, you can't have two Superman-centric films with two different Superman themes. It takes away from the cohesion that the studio is obviously going to be striving toward.

HOWEVER, I don't know any Howard Shore off the top of my head, but I could totally buy Hans' Man of Steel stuff coming in with some new Batman themes that someone else is writing. I'd like it to be darker, more introspective, but not quite as downright melancholy and tumultuous as The Dark Knight scores were. I will say, I love what Daniel Licht did on Dexter... I could see a vibe similar to that going for Batman. Something that's bubbling on the edge of ambient, procedural, moody, but very calculated and careful, only dynamic exactly enough to be effective and no more.

My opinion is that the score should BE the character in the ways that words and images can't be. This is why I loved Man of Steel's OST. Even with those five notes that Hans uses, you've got a very distinct Clark's "What's-Wrong-With-Me-Mom?" Humanity that shares themes with Lois and his parents, a distinct Authoritative "Don't-Play-Games-With-Me-General" Superman, and a distinct "I-Have-So-Many-Questions" Kal-El, that ties into the themes for the other Kryptonians.

I think the next film's score should follow the same sort of example. That "Authoritative Superman" theme doesn't really have anywhere else in Man of Steel to latch onto. But if you take that Superman-In-The-Suit-And-Cape theme, add a counterpoint to it, then you've got a Batman theme, that isn't the same in the ways that Batman is different than Superman, but can also be pulled out and used as a theme for Batman in his own sections, and expanded upon at great length in Batman's solo spin-offs from here. The way I see it, that would be one of the best ways to really drive home the DCCU in a way that Marvel's Cinematic Universe hasn't done.

Imagine we get five years down the line and we've got all these specific themes for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, whoever... and they're all fleshed out in their own films, with their own little tweaks for different aspects of the characters, just like Hans does usually in his films... but all of those different distinct parts can come together and be recognizable in a big, badass, grandiose Justice League Theme or something.

I don't see that happening, but I think that would be amazing.

Last edited:
I think it's highly likely that if Zimmer decides he needs an co-composer for BvS, or forgoes returning at all, the likely candidate is Junkie XL. He was an additional composer on MOS, and he's also composing 300: Rise Of An Empire, which is produced and co-written by Snyder, so he's apparently more than a little fond of him.

However, my dream composer for this film would be Bear McCreary. Currently, he's doing Goyer's tv show, Da Vinci's Demons, so there's a possible in for him. I also think his trademark use of drums and percussion is similar to Zimmer's style in MOS (it reminded me a lot of McCreary's score to Dark Void). Plus, it would just be nice for him to finally get a big break. So far, he's been relegated to tv, video games, and horrible direct-to-dvd horror films. It'd be cool if his first big Hollywood film was Batman vs. Superman.

Just my two cents.

McCreary has a better handle on drums and percussion than Zimmer does, and he likes writing thematic and lyrical music. I imagine if Bear was offered the movie, his BvS score would be in the vein of The Cape meets Agents of SHIELD.

Which would be AWESOME. He also loved Shirley Walker's work on the animated DCU, and that was one of the reasons he wanted to be a composer.

Oh man, listened to Terraforming and Flight right now.

WOW!

Oh man, listened to Terraforming and Flight right now.

WOW!
I have a lot of time for 'Terraforming'. The whole track always has something interesting and engaging going on, and the end is fantastic and Supermany.

I think the MOS soundtrack is awesome, to be honest. I hope something similar is used for Batman/Superman with some new music for batman.

Zimmer, Zimmer, Zimmer. MOS's soundtrack was beyond epic, the total opposite of TDK.

For those of you unfamiliar with Zimmer's non-Nolan work, he also scored some other
rather awesome films....

Kung fu Panda, The Lion King, Backdraft, Thelma and Louise, Broken Arrow, The Rock ,True Romance (which includes a track called "You're so Cool" which is extremely cool !) plus a whole raft of other films (Gladiator, Sherlock Holmes....)
you get the idea. The guy has an amazing range, doesn't repeat himself like
some well known film-score composers and always manages to give the music the
right feel.

So, very much on team Zimmer for BM v SM, which will be a big challenge, as he'll have to have the triumphant strains of MOS mixed with the darker tones of DK.

The only other guy who could come close would be Michael Giacchino .

BTW, here is MOS , listen to the awesomeness !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZcQzpdj2E

Yes, if Zimmer can't return, then I want Giachinno. His work for Star Trek and Up is amazing!

I'm feeling less confident Zimmer will tackle the Batman side of things. I suspect now there will be a collaboration. Zimmer doing Superman, the new person Batman. But we will see.

I'm feeling less confident Zimmer will tackle the Batman side of things. I suspect now there will be a collaboration. Zimmer doing Superman, the new person Batman. But we will see.

Good point! Perhaps the old Zimmer / James Newton Howard team
from Batman Begins, or maybe Ramin Djawadi .....

somehow I can't see a Giachinno / Zimmer team up,
because that would be like Superman teaming up with Thor, they'd get
in each other's way.

Anyway, go Zimmer !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"