Old Birds of Prey Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't anyone else concerned about casting these characters for a film that's set to film in a few months? These actresses probably need some fight training.

I too would strongly prefer a blonde Black Canary. Race is of little consequence to me. Gugu would be great

You know, I was actually very excited about this movie until now.

I really don't like that they have to change the race of certain characters just for the sake of diversity.

Making Black Canary black???, Cassandra Cain Asian???

I think I will just skip and pass on this one.

Anyway, why is Harley Quinn leading Birds of Prey? It should have been Batgirl.

This is going to be like that Fantastic Four reboot where they cast Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm and we all know how it turns out....it flopped horribly and miserably at the box office.

I really don't like that they have to change the race of certain characters just for the sake of diversity.

Making Black Canary black???, Cassandra Cain Asian???

I think I will just skip and pass on this one.
I can't tell if you're serious or not.
"The sake of diversity." ? Who talk like that in 2018.

But... but she's always been Asian?

Sorry. I just check wikipedia.

More like "mixed" to me since her father David Cain is white and mother Lady Shiva is Asian.

But it doesn't matter.

They will cast a full asian girl for the role.

Hollywood has this unfair,double standard towards Asian men.

Henry Golding ,half-white and half-asian gets to play a fully asian character in "Crazy Rich Asians".

Charles Melton, half-white and half-asian gets to play a fully asian character in "The Sun is also a Star".

Lana Condor, a fully asian girl gets to play a half-white/half-asian character in "To all the boys I loved before"

We get it. Asian men are not attractive enough according to Hollywood standards, hence they are always desexualised and emasculated in Hollywood cinemas.

And Black Canary. Dinah Drake has always been white.

If they want to make the character black, they should just create a new original character. Something like Halle Berry's Patience Phillips Catwoman. That catwoman is not Selina Kyle.

And even though they create a brand new Patience Phillips character, that Halle Berry catwoman movie still flopped miserably at the box office.

Race swapping just for the sake of diversity is going to upset many comic book fans who have grown up with the character over the years.

And Harley Quinn has no business in Birds of Prey. She is not a hero. She is a villain Harley should be in Gothan City Sirens with Poison Ivy and Catwoman.

Why in the world would Huntress,Black Canary and Renee Montoya ever team up with someone who's crazy,a wild card, unpredictable, loose cannon like Harley Quinn?

I know Harley Quinn is a very popular character right now, but they are just milking the character for all it's worth right now. Also Margot Robbie is a rising star right now.

Sorry, but I just really lost any interest in this movie. I'll skip and pass on this one when it arrives in theaters.

More like "mixed" to me since her father David Cain is white and mother Lady Shiva is Asian.

But it doesn't matter.

Henry Golding ,half-white and half-asian gets to play a fully asian character in "Crazy Rich Asians".

Charles Melton, half-white and half-asian gets to play a fully asian character in "The Sun is also a Star".

Lana Condor, a fully asian girl gets to play a half-white/half-asian character in "To all the boys I loved before"

We get it. Asian men are not attractive enough according to Hollywood standards, hence they are always desexualised and emasculated in Hollywood cinemas.

If they want to make the character black, they should just create a new original character. Something like Halle Berry's Patience Phillips Catwoman. That catwoman is not Selina Kyle.

And even though they create a brand new Patience Phillips character, that Halle Berry catwoman movie still flopped miserably at the box office.

Race swapping just for the sake of diversity is going to upset many comic book fans who have grown up with the character over the years.

And Harley Quinn has no business in Birds of Prey. She is not a hero. She is a villain Harley should be in Gothan City Sirens with Poison Ivy and Catwoman.

Why in the world would Huntress,Black Canary and Renee Montoya ever team up with someone who's crazy,a wild card, unpredictable, loose cannon like Harley Quinn?

I know Harley Quinn is a very popular character right now, but they are just milking the character for all it's worth right now. Also Margot Robbie is a rising star right now.

Sorry, but I just really lost any interest in this movie. I'll skip and pass on this one when it arrives in theaters.
I can't believe you hold the race of the characters more in importance than the actual writing, directing, acting of the movie.

Hahah WTF FF flopped because they race swapped Human Torch?

BOP happened because like you said Margot is a rising star, she got the project off the ground, got a woman director instead of someone like Ayer, got Christina Hodgeson who could be a star writer in a few months, and it might not be the film you envisioned but as long as the actual film turns out to be high quality, it will make at least SS money without your attendance, general audience don't give a F about the comics, they just want a good girl team movie, and they didn't debate about Deadshot's race.

Hahah WTF FF flopped because they race swapped Human Torch?

BOP happened because like you said Margot is a rising star, she got the project off the ground, got a woman director instead of someone like Ayer, got Christina Hodgeson who could be a star writer in a few months, and it might not be the film you envisioned but as long as the actual film turns out to be high quality, it will make at least SS money without your attendance, general audience don't give a F about the comics, they just want a good girl team movie, and they didn't debate about Deadshot's race.

The act of race swapping Human Torch was so horrible the film was literally cursed because of it and flopped :D

Clearly this is what happened.

The biggest offense this movie has committed so far is the apparent lack of Barbara Gordon. You can hardly even call this movie Birds of Prey without the leader of the team.

The racebending is far easier for me to accept. I expected it to happen anyways

I though that rumor was that Batgirl wasn't in the movie but Oracle was ? Pretty sure it came from the 'El Maybe'(something like that) guy.

But it doesn't matter.

Ludi Lin and Lewis Tan prove that statement false.

Anways, nobody has been officially cast yet, so hold off on the outburst. I myself am hoping we get a comic accurate Black Canary because I think race swapping does more damage than it does help. True representation to me is taking an actual minority character and introducing them to the masses, making them popular (ie Diablo, Katana, Cyborg, Black Panther...etc).

Ludi Lin and Lewis Tan prove that statement false.

Anways, nobody has been officially cast yet, so hold off on the outburst. I myself am hoping we get a comic accurate Black Canary because I think race swapping does more damage than it does help. True representation to me is taking an actual minority character and introducing them to the masses, making them popular (ie Diablo, Katana, Cyborg, Black Panther...etc).

I like how they hired an unknown Japanese actress to play Katana, instead of doing what Fox later did - hiring a white guy for a Japanese character, caused an outcry, so cast a relatively well known Korean actor from Lost and Hawaii 5-O instead of giving the job to a lesser known Japanese actor, and the mainstream called it a win, bloody hell, I was more offended by this "all Asians look the same" sentiment.

I like how they hired an unknown Japanese actress to play Katana, instead of doing what Fox later did - hiring a white guy for a Japanese character, caused an outcry, so cast a relatively well known Korean actor from Lost and Hawaii 5-O instead of giving the job to a lesser known Japanese actor, and the mainstream called it a win, bloody hell, I was more offended by this "all Asians look the same" sentiment.
Wait...is Katana supposed to cameo?

This seems so be somewhere between Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens. I can't understand why Catwoman isn't therefore included.

Wait...is Katana supposed to cameo?

I was referring to Katana in SS, apparently she is not in BOP, though I think she should be, they probably thought Cassandra and Yan filled the Asian quota. Hope she returns for SS2

This seems so be somewhere between Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens. I can't understand why Catwoman isn't therefore included.
She could have been a big draw. Maybe because she might have overshadowed Margot Robbie. ;)

I think it's because when they were writing the movie, they didn't know if Affleck was coming back and therefore, didn't know which age Selina should be.

maybe Reeves wants to use Selina in his trilogy but he's not gonna use Harley, BC, Huntress, Cain and Batgirl.

He might well skip the Joker or pick up Joaquin with his brilliant script and resume instead of doing a 3rd Joker, topping the new fever Joaquin created just now (and possibly again when the movie comes out) is gonna be very hard.

So when is this movie going to get it’s own sub forum in the Batman section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"