Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

Status
Not open for further replies.
God that makes me plain old giddy! I hope we get a DC when the final film is released on ONE Blu-ray.

Got my copy of the OST today. After listening to it -- I honestly consider Desplat a huge upgrade from Nicholas Hooper and can't see why some fans prefer Hooper over the new guy. Hooper's score was nice underscore in OOTP and HBP and occasionally rose above that, but Desplat took it so much further. Now I wish Desplat had scored OOTP and HBP too.

I can see why, but using the handshake would have disrupted to rhythm that they were going for in that scene with the three.

It was a necessary loss to the overall movie, but I'm glad both the handshake and the thing with Petunia are in the deleted scenes. I loved those scenes too much to never see them.

I am gladded they filmed it. I was making a point about people dissing Yates about not getting Harry Potter and butchering the books...well he filmed it.

If they didn't film those two scenes, there would be really no point in bringing any of the Dursley actors back. They were glorified extras in the final cut.

I am gladded they filmed it. I was making a point about people dissing Yates about not getting Harry Potter and butchering the books...well he filmed it.

Potter fans are fickle. Well...some. Honestly, the dursley's were next to nothing in the movies. It sounds like the whole Sam Raimi screwed up Spider-Man crap.

Got my copy of the OST today. After listening to it -- I honestly consider Desplat a huge upgrade from Nicholas Hooper and can't see why some fans prefer Hooper over the new guy. Hooper's score was nice underscore in OOTP and HBP and occasionally rose above that, but Desplat took it so much further. Now I wish Desplat had scored OOTP and HBP too.

I liked Desplat more than Hooper, but I really don't see why people considered his music garbage.

It was a necessary loss to the overall movie, but I'm glad both the handshake and the thing with Petunia are in the deleted scenes. I loved those scenes too much to never see them.

Why were these necessary loses?

Because, like Doctor Jones said, it would've disrupted the flow of the opening Harry/Hermione/Ron montage.

Not really. There was no reason why the two scenes couldn't have come after the montage, preceding the cupboard moment. Watching them drive off in silence, knowing they actually care what happens to Harry would of worked even better imo.

I liked Desplat more than Hooper, but I really don't see why people considered his music garbage.

I think people were still ill about Desplat since he worked on a Twilight film and dumped Carter Burwell's theme for his own themes. Not to mention some of them were apprehensive that Desplat was going to do the same with Deathly Hallows, which wasn't going to happen anyway. (And a lot of them were getting used to a third composer working on the series.)

I think Desplat is one of the best rising composers on the Hollywood scene. Hopefully, after HP is done, he'll do a superhero film next.

I think people were still ill about Desplat since he worked on a Twilight film and dumped Carter Burwell's theme for his own themes. Not to mention some of them were apprehensive that Desplat was going to do the same with Deathly Hallows, which wasn't going to happen anyway. (And a lot of them were getting used to a third composer working on the series.)

I think Desplat is one of the best rising composers on the Hollywood scene. Hopefully, after HP is done, he'll do a superhero film next.

I'm glad he dumped on Burwell's score. Imo, besides "bella's lullaby" It was utter garbage.

Agreed though :up: Can't wait to hear what he has in store for the Battle of Hogwarts. :woot:

Wait, out of ALL the stuff they're putting in as deleted scenes, where's the scene from the book where Lupin tells Harry Tonks is pregnant with his child? It was ALMOST revealed in the final film, but Tonks gets interrupted and it's never brought up again. WTF?

Unless they're saving it for the beginning of Part 2...

Probably Part 2, just like the
death of pettigrew.

Oh, and deleted scenes aren't the only thing to watch out for.

• EXTRAS on BD:
    – Maximum Movie Mode: Voldemort’s Secrets
    – Sneak Peek: First scene of HP7.2 (TBC)
    – Behind the Soundtrack
    – The Flight of the Seven Harrys
    – Exploring Godric’s Hollow
    – The Women of Harry Potter
    – Rupert Grint: Not Your Average Guy
    – Join the Cast at the WWoHP Grand Opening
    – Additional Scenes

I honestly think that Part 1 is just going to get a single-disc DVD and Blu-ray release (until the 3-disc or 4-disc UE). And that the deleted scenes and featurette are the only extras on the DVD.

Oh well. :(

Probably Part 2, just like the
death of pettigrew.

Oh, and deleted scenes aren't the only thing to watch out for.

• EXTRAS on BD:
    – Maximum Movie Mode: Voldemort’s Secrets
    – Sneak Peek: First scene of HP7.2 (TBC)
    – Behind the Soundtrack
    – The Flight of the Seven Harrys
    – Exploring Godric’s Hollow
    – The Women of Harry Potter
    – Rupert Grint: Not Your Average Guy
    – Join the Cast at the WWoHP Grand Opening
    – Additional Scenes

is this the mini doc from the special edition of the soundtrack I wonder.

also commenting once again on Hooper's scoring...this is a review that perfectly sums up what I thought of HBP's score. OotP wasn't bad for Hooper but yeah...this...http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/halfblood_prince.html
To summarize Hooper's music for The Order of the Phoenix as disappointing is a disservice to the fact that his achievement for the franchise was adequately functional. But that score remains a disappointment because of the legacy created by John Williams and decently emulated by Patrick Doyle previously for the concept. Simply put, Hooper's score wasn't comparable to the emotional depth or orchestral mastery of the first four scores. His work was sufficient but not memorable. Large but not resounding. Careful but not precise. In short, Hooper earned his paycheck. When you're dealing with a franchise that is grounded in the sonic spirit of Williams, however, simply earning a paycheck is not enough. Doyle realized this dilemma when he expanded the scope of the soundscape in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and if only he had better integrated Williams' original material, he could have matched the maestro in terms of overall quality for the realm of Hogwarts. Hooper doesn't earn style points in either regard. He, for the most part, continues to disregard Williams' material and, unlike Doyle, doesn't replace it with a powerful enough new identity to compete with it or compliment it. Thus, in the end, Hooper's music has to be classified as a disappointment. This not only applies to The Order of the Phoenix, but to The Half-Blood Prince as well. Most of the same problems that inhabited the fifth score are pivotal factors in the sixth. These include the lack of truly dominant thematic presence, leaving this score as bereft of an identity as the previous one.
i love reviews from this site, they are very lengthy and really breakdown every aspect of the score.

Last edited:
You're not alone Snape, I very much enjoyed Hooper's music. Love this track:

[YT]R2B3ohRQbkM[/YT]

dude i think you are, but don't get me wrong either, there are moments in both of Hooper's scores that I loved. There just aren't enough of them.

I think every composer after Williams strayed too far away from what some would call well established source material to work from as far as music. I can understand each composer feeling like they wanted to create their own identity and interpretation of this world for their scores but I just think the biggest mistake all of em made was not incorporating Williams stuff. So even though I really liked Doyle's and Desplat's scores, their homages to JW are too subtle and Hoopers stuff just comes in last place for me out of all the scores as a whole. Again, loved some of his more memorable moments in both OotP and HBP but considering the stuff that came before his take on HP he just wasn't the best guy for the job. He didn't really "advance" the music for these movies, he took it down a notch and it just wasn't a good match for the movies. His best bit imo in HBP was the quidditch game and brewing living death potion. Those two and maybe Harry and Hermoines talk were the ones that get stuck in my head the most and I think they are wonderful additions to the entire catalog of music we've been given from every one of the movies.

Last edited:
You're not alone Snape, I very much enjoyed Hooper's music. Love this track:

[YT]R2B3ohRQbkM[/YT]

So glad he brought that back for HBP :up:

This was probably the best piece of film score in 2009...imo.

[YT]9WC22UmAF7E[/YT]

dude i think you are, but don't get me wrong either, there are moments in both of Hooper's scores that I loved. There just aren't enough of them.

I think every composer after Williams strayed too far away from what some would call well established source material to work from as far as music. I can understand each composer feeling like they wanted to create their own identity and interpretation of this world for their scores but I just think the biggest mistake all of em made was not incorporating Williams stuff. So even though I really liked Doyle's and Desplat's scores, their homages to JW are too subtle and Hoopers stuff just comes in last place for me out of all the scores as a whole. Again, loved some of his more memorable moments in both OotP and HBP but considering the stuff that came before his take on HP he just wasn't the best guy for the job. He didn't really "advance" the music for these movies, he took it down a notch and it just wasn't a good match for the movies. His best bit imo in HBP was the quidditch game and brewing living death potion. Those two and maybe Harry and Hermoines talk were the ones that get stuck in my head the most and I think they are wonderful additions to the entire catalog of music we've been from every one of the movies.

It's all good. Least you gave good reasons :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"