Comics Has anybody changed their mind about the "Iron Spidey" suit?

I've hated it then and I still hate it now, and I'm not too happy with what's going on currently in the spidey-verse, so I've personally taken a short (hopefully) hiatus from the spidey books.

Erundur said:
I've hated it then and I still hate it now, and I'm not too happy with what's going on currently in the spidey-verse, so I've personally taken a short (hopefully) hiatus from the spidey books.

Well, as of right now, I've dropped ASM, and, thanks to the return of
Uncle Ben
, I'll probably be dropping FNSM within the next week or so. So, I'm down to Sensational Spider-Man (and Ultimate).

It looks like things won't be getting better until Jeph Loeb and J. Scott Campbell show up next year.

Then again, I said that about PAD and 'Ringo showing up on FNSM, too....so It may not help at all.:(

shinlyle said:
Well, as of right now, I've dropped ASM, and, thanks to the return of
Uncle Ben
, I'll probably be dropping FNSM within the next week or so. So, I'm down to Sensational Spider-Man (and Ultimate).

It looks like things won't be getting better until Jeph Loeb and J. Scott Campbell show up next year.

Then again, I said that about PAD and 'Ringo showing up on FNSM, too....so It may not help at all.:(

I'm guessing we still don't know what current (assuming it is a current title) they'll be taking over?....

as for getting hopes up, Loeb wrote Spiderman Blue....nuff said!! (Ps....in case I was being vague....writing Spidey Blue is a "GOOD" thing):up: :)

Chris Wallace said:
I disagree; Spidey Unlimited was far worse than 2099.

Spidey 2099's costume owned. It's my third favorite (behind the classic red & blues and the Black costume, of course).

The worst costume was the one Peter made out of trash bags and such during the Mackie/Byrne run. It was truly horrendous. It's even worse than Spidey Unlimited, which is still better than Iron Spidey.

2099 had a cape, & apart from the web-like look of said cape, looked nothing like Spider-Man.

Chris Wallace said:
2099 had a cape, & apart from the web-like look of said cape, looked nothing like Spider-Man.

See...I was cool with that because it WASN'T Spider-Man. It was a new Spider-Man. That, and I liked the design. I always thought the death's head emblem on the chest was bad-ash.

When I saw it for the very first time I didn't know what to think of it.
My opinion may be more taste driven and based on the design for I haven’t been exposed to the latest SM titles yet, which from I heard are still dreadful of course. Anyways, at first I thought the design it self was fine but seeing a screenshot with Spidey and Iron Man flying around side by side made me understand that it is not very original.

Overall, I still don't like it. I can tolerate it when the tentacle/leg things aren't out, though. Those are the worst part. And it did look kind of cool on the cover of that first ASM "Road to Civil War" issue and I did see a preview panel from the Civil War mini on Newsarama where it looked decent. So basically, I still don't like the design but the right artist can make anything look good.

Spider-X-Treme said:
When I saw it for the very first time I didn't know what to think of it.
My opinion may be more taste driven and based on the design for I haven’t been exposed to the latest SM titles yet, which from I heard are still dreadful of course. Anyways, at first I thought the design it self was fine but seeing a screenshot with Spidey and Iron Man flying around side by side made me understand that it is not very original.
Iron Man made the suit. Your last sentence, however, supports my biggest argument against it; what do you call a young hero, who works very closely w/an older hero, takes orders from him & wears the same colors?

32CAGE said:
Iron Spidey still rocks

[sarcasm]Yeah....I especially love how he flails around in the air "gliding" like a drunken butterfly....so cool. And the design...totally awesome and not cheap-looking at all! I also love how he doesn't look like a Doc Ock rip-off at ALL with those metal arms and such![/sarcasm]

hated it the first time, still hate it

So right now we've got 11 who dig it & 34 who don't.

Chris Wallace said:
So right now we've got 11 who dig it & 34 who don't.

Blatantly one-sided, isn't it? Over a third of the people here hate it, and the one third who like it won't speak up in favor of it, aside from a select few....so I guess the ones who like it don't like it too much, huh? :D

Hate is a bit of a strong word for me, but the closest answer on there. I wasn't impressed when I first saw the initial sketches, and after seeing it in action, though the artists are good, I'm still not very impressed with the suit at all. For me, it was a novelty to begin with.

Red X said:
That title remains firmly with Spidey 2099.
Nah. Cosmic Spider-Man (or whatever that was called) was the worst, IMO.
shinlyle said:
Blatantly one-sided, isn't it? Over a third of the people here hate it, and the one third who like it won't speak up in favor of it, aside from a select few....so I guess the ones who like it don't like it too much, huh? :D
Or because they're afraid of being beaten down by your masterful sarcasm.

I personally wish spidey would wear the Spiderman Unlimited costume.

Iron Spidey?
Ugly spats, unecessary over design.
Too shiny.
Chest logo TOO big.

I liked it then, I like it now...then again, I think Azraels Batman suit from Nightfall was the best Batman costume ever, so I'm obviously not a traditionalist or anything...I dont see why everyone is so mad about it either, Spidey is on the cover of Civil War with his classic suit, so this one is obviously only going to be around for an arc or two, and is probably going to be used as a plot point in Civil War...just enjoy it as what it is, a temporary thing.

ummmmmmm..................................(as any true fanboy would say)
THE SUIT SUCKS!

For all the reasons already mentioned.

The Joker said:
I dont see why everyone is so mad about it either, Spidey is on the cover of Civil War with his classic suit, so this one is obviously only going to be around for an arc or two, and is probably going to be used as a plot point in Civil War...just enjoy it as what it is, a temporary thing.

Is Marvel handing out talking-points for people who like the suit?

Regardless of how temporary it is, it was out-of-character for Peter to accept the suit in the first place. The situation that led to him getting the suit was poorly conceived and poorly executed. The Civil War story arch has so far been a disappointment, with Peter so mis-characterized that no one who's followed Spider-Man for any amount of time would recognize him. This suit is a symptom of a larger problem, so saying that it's a plot-point and to sit back and enjoy the ride is not an option because the plot itself is flawed.

EDIT: The Azrael suit from Knightfall wasn't so bad as part of the plot, but it would have sucked if Batman had kept it beyond that arch.

CConn said:
Or because they're afraid of being beaten down by your masterful sarcasm.

:O
Aww...you can read me like a book!!!

MaxCarnage said:
Is Marvel handing out talking-points for people who like the suit?

Regardless of how temporary it is, it was out-of-character for Peter to accept the suit in the first place. The situation that led to him getting the suit was poorly conceived and poorly executed. The Civil War story arch has so far been a disappointment, with Peter so mis-characterized that no one who's followed Spider-Man for any amount of time would recognize him. This suit is a symptom of a larger problem, so saying that it's a plot-point and to sit back and enjoy the ride is not an option because the plot itself is flawed.

EDIT: The Azrael suit from Knightfall wasn't so bad as part of the plot, but it would have sucked if Batman had kept it beyond that arch.

how was it out of character for him to accept the suit? it's like if you were driving around a car you've had for 10 years, nothings wrong with it, but it isnt exactly state of the art, and then one of your friends came up and said "hey, here's a free new car with all the newest things, and also some things that other cars dont have yet either, like it runs on water!"...who the bad place would say no to that? that's essentially what tony offered peter.

I really think people just like b**ching...I mean really, everyone complains and complains and complains, but do they do anything about it? no, they continue to buy everything...if you don't like what's going on with spider-man, or anything for that matter, just stop reading it...it's not that hard. I didn't like the first issue of Redinald whats-his-faces run on MK spider-man, so instead of coming here and b**ching about it, I just stopped buying it, and guess what, problem solved. And if all these things really upset you that much, not only do you stop buying it, but voice these concerns you have directly to marvel, not annonymously on a message board that no one who makes any decisions cares about...christ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"