Superman Returns Has anybody changed their mind about the suit?

P2Rock said:
Look I agree that Reeve's suit is slightly dated. But they should have just updated.
And that's what they did. Unless you mean keep the same design but update the materials.
My suggestion on the Reeves suit - Amend the S (it looked too home made) similar to the new Routh one but with reeves Size
Can't be done. A raised S that size would restrict movement in the chest and shoulder area, and it would bend whenever Routh takes a step.
A darker blue Not navy but a strong royal blue, not the almost NC blue they have now.
Now this I agree with. But, it's just a shade of blue. And I can't complain about it, because there is no one shade of blue that Superman uses.
Red not Leather Maroon brown. Its true that cape seems to change hue, but they should take away the ambiguity by brightening it up as the darker tone adds nothing.
The red is crimson. Not brown in any way.
Also the material, WTF, it shoes no definition, none. You can buy **** from Nike that looks more like a superhero suit than that. (its called Nike Pro) What was singer thinking.
I don't want another cloth-looking Superman costume.
And why is Routh so skinny that the damn suit needs padding. Christian bale put on near 100 pounds for Batman after his concerntration camp mode in the Machinist, why couldn't Routh ad at least 50 pounds of muscle to his natural frame over 6 months or a Year??
Um, he did gain muscle. Most of it is visible in the suit.
This fact pisses me off. **** even Toby Magurie did it for spiderman.
Tobey Maguire also wore a muscle suit in Spider-Man. Even though he was built enough for the role. Why? Because of something you stated earlier: "Also the material, WTF, it shoes no definition, none." The muscle suit merely creates the muscular shape that is necessary for superheroes. Without the muscle suit, Routh would just look flabby.
This is Superman we're talking about, is suppose to be physically intimidating or impressive.
And he is.
21387711.jpg

This suit really sets the tone and it is not promising. SInger (and Routh)stuffed this Up
I think not.

Yo stop using that shot. cause it looks like Andre Agassi with a hair piece in Tights. All I see are skinny arms and a large torso (son has no pecs). Every time I post those sorts of comments they come back with that pic. Im no Superman but I look better than that.That doesn't impress, or intimidate me. Have you seen a pro or even college football game? You seen a real physique?
He didn't have to use nike pro but it shows there are better materials out there than the one he used. Really I wanted a suit that looked painted on to a god like physique (cause that essentially what "Superman" embodies right!?)
And thats redish brown what ever way want to spin it, it looks like leather and it dont look good (in some shots).

And unless you want to post your address, save the insults

I agree w/all your points. I also think he could've benefitted from one of those muscle-enhancing suits, like Tobey & the FF wore.

skruloos said:
It's simply a matter of educated conjecture. Take a look at the releaed photos of the environment. Most of the colors being used are earth tones. The Daily Planet has a very brown tone to it. The Metropolis shots have a lot of greys and blues. Do you think this set design is accidental? If the environment that is being shown is made up of dark blues, browns, and greys, then what do you think a guy in bright blue and red is going to look like? He's going to stand out. He's going to be bright because the environment he's placed in is drab. All you guys are thinking about is the temperature of a color of the suit as it stands alone. You're not examining it within the context of everything else released. Again, take a look at the other shots.
Sorry. Not buying it. The first promo shot was against a grey-toned background & he looked drab.

Chris Wallace said:
Sorry. Not buying it. The first promo shot was against a grey-toned background & he looked drab.
His skin was also white as a sheet. It's because that particular image was desaturated. Here is the actual suit colours:
supermanreturns5.jpg

That's not exactly a huge improvement-or even different.

Chris Wallace said:
Well, maybe you should start looking at pictures of the suit then.

Chris Wallace said:
Maybe you should get your eyes checked. Superman is the only thing in that shot that pops off the screen. Even the yellow, a fairly bright color, doesn't pop off as much as the red and blue.

kakarot069 said:
as far as with the suit goes, I like it (besides the symbol on the belt), but if I had a choice, I would rather see something like this on screen...

this is just my opinion, so take it as you will.

Yeah, I agree with you on this one. I like that one. Either that one or the real suit work fine with me. :)

Chris Wallace said:
I agree w/all your points. I also think he could've benefitted from one of those muscle-enhancing suits, like Tobey & the FF wore.

What the....?!? Superman's suit does have some muscles-enhancing look like Spidey. For all we know, Tobey is probably not big as Routh which is probably why his suit has more muscles looking than Supes. But I'm sure Routh has some little muscles in the suit. And FF???? Last I check, FF's costume doesn't even has muscles looking in the suit like Spidey & Supes did. Where you came up with that? F4 costume are sorta like X-Men movie one: leather type material & no muscles showing like Spidey & Supes did. Or at least I think F4's costume were spandex. :o

Jessica said the guys had muscle suits. And the FF suits were nothing like the X-Men; there was some leather trim but that was it. The rest was pure spandex. I see nothing in Brandon's suit that looks "enhanced"; I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

Saph said:
Well, maybe you should start looking at pictures of the suit then.
I have been looking. And the red doesn't work for me. And it's a bad contrast w/that shade of blue.

I don't know why the suit had to look different than it does in the comics. And saying you like it suggests you think the one in the comics isn't good enough.

Chris Wallace said:
I have been looking. And the red doesn't work for me. And it's a bad contrast w/that shade of blue.
Bad contrast? Your opinion. It's not wrong. Just different. Superman has always had the red as a dominant colour. But now the blue is the dominant colour. Looks less silly yet still keeps the 'brightness' look of Supes intact.

dr collossus said:
I don't know why the suit had to look different than it does in the comics. And saying you like it suggests you think the one in the comics isn't good enough.
What a stupid, ignorant thing to say. :o

dr collossus said:
Not really. Think about it. Don't strain yourself though.
Oooh, good one. :rolleyes:

Let's take a look at what you said, shall we?

"I don't know why the suit had to look different than it does in the comics. And saying you like it suggests you think the one in the comics isn't good enough."

There are almost 30,000 users on thse boards. Basically you are saying everyone out of thse 30,000 that likes the suit thinks the one in the comics isn't good enough. And that's just thse boards. There are thousands of other boards, with many other members. Then we get to the general public. The numbers go up by the millions. Then you have the rest of the world. Numbers are in the billions. You are generalising BILLIONS of people because of their thoughts on a SUIT.

Do you realise how stupid you sound? :confused:

Ok, lets take a look at what I said:

"And saying you like it suggests you think the one in the comics isn't good enough."

Quite frankly, it does. I like Superman the way he is, the suit, the character, everything. I don't want to see a Superman Elseworlds film unless that is what it claims to be. And that's what this is. If you really, truly, like the suit in the comics, why would you not want to see that in the film? Fair enough, you may like the SR suit. If I saw a guy wearing it cutting the ribbon at the grand opening of a new comics shop, I'd probably be quite impressed, but if you PREFER it to the modern comics suit, then you obviously don't love the character, you like it but would prefer a modern interpretation.

Personally, I feel that in a world where darker superhero movies are generally preferred by the public, I would make a movie about a darker superhero rather than make a movie about a superhero that isn't dark and change him.

dr collossus said:
Ok, lets take a look at what I said:

"And saying you like it suggests you think the one in the comics isn't good enough."

Quite frankly, it does. I like Superman the way he is, the suit, the character, everything. I don't want to see a Superman Elseworlds film unless that is what it claims to be. And that's what this is. If you really, truly, like the suit in the comics, why would you not want to see that in the film? Fair enough, you may like the SR suit. If I saw a guy wearing it cutting the ribbon at the grand opening of a new comics shop, I'd probably be quite impressed, but if you PREFER it to the modern comics suit, then you obviously don't love the character, you like it but would prefer a modern interpretation.

Personally, I feel that in a world where darker superhero movies are generally preferred by the public, I would make a movie about a darker superhero rather than make a movie about a superhero that isn't dark and change him.
Now you look even MORE ignorant.

There is NOTHING dark about the new Superman costume. The dominant colour is electric blue. The inside of the cape is designed in such a way to look like a HALO when the cape billows in the wind. The only dark thing is the shade of red used, which is only different from the comics because the red is usually bright, while the blue is dark. It's just been reversed. If anything, it makes the suit brighter.

I'm gonna ignore everything you just said, 'cos quite frankly its inane and irrelevant, and you apparently didn't read what I said. I'm just gonna ask you a few questions isntead:

1. Which do you prefer, the SR suit or the comics suit? (no ifs or buts on this one please)

2. Do you like Superman (I'm talking character, mythology and all) the way he is, as a beacon of hope and perfection in an imperfect world, or do you think this is childish and dated, and should be more realistic and up to date?

3. Do you think Superman works better as a proud, confident, and powerful individual, or as a self-conscious and uneasy character, more in line with the CK persona?

Answer these questions, then think about your answers while comparing SR to the Superman of the comics.

Oh and by the way, you might want to take a look at the articles I have written about Superman Returns, you can find them here:

http://difference.weblog.glam.ac.uk/posts/2005/05/07/superman-matt-and-the-dullard-public

http://difference.weblog.glam.ac.uk/posts/2005/12/08/superman-the-teaser

dr collossus said:
I'm gonna ignore everything you just said, 'cos quite frankly its inane and irrelevant, and you apparently didn't read what I said.
You mean, your argument holds no merit and you have no way of responding?
I'm just gonna ask you a few questions isntead:
It's better to ask rather than tell stupid 'facts'.

1. Which do you prefer, the SR suit or the comics suit? (no ifs or buts on this one please)
Why no ifs and buts? Oh yeah, so I can look like I love the SR suit over the comic suit, or if I say the comic suit it 'proves' the comic suit is superior.

I like the movie suit. But that doesn't mean everyone who likes the suit prefers it over the comic suit.

2. Do you like Superman (I'm talking character, mythology and all) the way he is, as a beacon of hope and perfection in an imperfect world, or do you think this is childish and dated, and should be more realistic and up to date?
Beacon of hope. And he can still be that way in the movie suit.

3. Do you think Superman works better as a proud, confident, and powerful individual, or as a self-conscious and uneasy character, more in line with the CK persona?
Proud? Since when has Superman been proud? he's always viewed himself as equal as everyone else. But confident and powerful? Certainly.

Answer these questions, then think about your answers while comparing SR to the Superman of the comics.
Well, I can't, because the movie isn't released yet. :confused:

Oh and by the way, you might want to take a look at the articles I have written about Superman Returns, you can find them here:

http://difference.weblog.glam.ac.uk/posts/2005/05/07/superman-matt-and-the-dullard-public

http://difference.weblog.glam.ac.uk/posts/2005/12/08/superman-the-teaser
Judging by your recent posts, I don't think i'll bother.

Chris Wallace said:
I have to agree with you... A lighter shade of red would have looked better. Not something as bright as Donner's shade, but something brighter than burgundy

kakarot069 said:
I have to agree with you... A lighter shade of red would have looked better. Not something as bright as Donner's shade, but something brighter than burgundy
Hey kak, according to dr. colossus, if you like the movie suit, you hate the comic suit and everything Superman stands for. :p

Saph said:
Hey kak, according to dr. colossus, if you like the movie suit, you hate the comic suit and everything Superman stands for. :p
well, If we're basing it on that, screw him and what he thinks.

The Donner suit look scompletely out-dated with the materials and it's design. Now continuity wise, it hit it right on the spot, with the big symbol, trunks, oval belt, and it's neckline and cape attachment...

I would rather see a suit that was influenced by the Donner suit... we clearly didn't get that, both in design and color

Saph said:
You mean, your argument holds no merit and you have no way of responding? It's better to ask rather than tell stupid 'facts'.

No, I mean you're a narrow minded idiot who thinks my argument was restricted to the suit, further enforced by what you just said about me to kakarot, whose points I happen to agree with by the way.

Saph said:
Why no ifs and buts? Oh yeah, so I can look like I love the SR suit over the comic suit, or if I say the comic suit it 'proves' the comic suit is superior.

No, so you don't worm your way out of an honest answer by saying something characteristically stupid like 'the comics suit wouldn't work on film' or 'I like them both' or, and this is my favourite, 'actually the suit will look completely different in the movie'.

Saph said:
Well, I can't, because the movie isn't released yet. :confused:
Judging by your recent posts, I don't think i'll bother.

Well, perhaps if you did bother you'd realise that your point about not having seen the movie is also nonsensical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"