Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

Neither Spider-man or Superman are affected by Batman's costume at all.

They're wearing rubbery costumes. Batman's wearing a rubbery costume. Superman's in darker colors as well. How are they not affected?

THIS isn't affected by Batman?
man_of_steel_2013.jpg

Blue tights were just fine for more than 30 years. Why the sudden need to put him in rubber? Dark rubber at that, hm?

Well to be fair, you know diddly squat about what is transpiring. You don't know if a cowl will appear or not, but it's nice to see you jumping the gun this fast. And how do you Bane's mask is a respirator? You don't.

Stop whining and wait for the full trailer in December to make a better argument.
I re-read this post & laughed, now that everything you accused me of whining about has proven to be true. Now what do you have to say?

30 years ago, we had absolutely no problem whatsoever going to see a movie whose lead character was dressed head-to-toe in colorful spandex. Fast forward to 1989, we see for the first time a Dark Knight type Batman-one whose battle gear, while based on the garb he sports in the comics-is radically changed. The filmmakers deem his grey tights "silly & unrealistic". And we, the fans, buy into this for the most part. But now so many movies & TV shows are taking such drastic liberties & taking characters' looks further and further away from their pulp counterparts. We, the fans, debate these decisions relentlessly-some of us defend it, others are totally against it. But if not for Batman's black rubber, would we all eagerly run to see the colorfully clad characters without any regard for how "silly" they looked?

You have to look how Nolan wanted his version of Batman to have a very knight-like presence, even making Batman's Bat-pod his version of a "steed" and we'll never likely see such an interpretation of a superhero again, so I wouldn't say the TDK/TDK suit will hurt CBM costumes in the future at all.

And if you mention this because of Spider-Man and Superman...people are saying the TAS-M 2 suit will look more like a classic look and Superman, well...I don't think Superman could pull off with red trousers in this modern age of CBMs.

You have to look how Nolan wanted his version of Batman to have a very knight-like presence, even making Batman's Bat-pod his version of a "steed" and we'll never likely see such an interpretation of a superhero again, so I wouldn't say the TDK/TDK suit will hurt CBM costumes in the future at all.

And if you mention this because of Spider-Man and Superman...people are saying the TAS-M 2 suit will look more like a classic look and Superman, well...I don't think Superman could pull off with red trousers in this modern age of CBMs.

1-I disagree that we won't see it again. Burton went the rubber route and many others followed. 2-I seriously doubt the speculation of an improved Spidey suit will be proven true, (is ANYONE involved in the prouction saying this or is it just the word on the street, like so many other times when we see set pics or early preview pics and fans say "It won't look like that in the movie" but then it does.) and 3-I'm not even a fan of trunks over the tights and I disagree that he can't pull it off. It's his look. It always has been. The trunks or lack thereof isn't even the biggest issue. Routh wore them and his suit sucked for numerous other reasons. It's a matter of construction/design.

So you're speaking on the texture being used and not the different looks itself?

Yeah I'm confused by CW's posts too. I always thought he meant look, not texture.

This thread makes me roll my eyes in a big way.

One thing that has been shown recently is that a good movie can overcome terrible costumes. Captain America's costume in his first movie sucked to me, but that was a damn good movie that it doesn't bother me at all. His Avengers costume didn't look all that either, but that movie is a god, so I don't think about it. Bane's mask looked horrible. He also sounded really ridiculous. The sound effect to his voice was cool, but he sounded like an old British man reading bedtime stories to a bunch of kids. It still was a damn good movie, and outside of the last 20 minutes Bane was a cool villain.

Now as for TASM...that movie was just meh. The costume wasn't too good, so that added to the overall "meh" feeling for me. It wasn't a bad movie, but there's not much glue to the movie that makes it too memorable besides it not being a Raimi movie. With the bad costume and just a mediocre movie it makes the costume problems stand out more to me. Where I didn't care about Bane's mask anymore after the first scene he was in I couldn't help but keep focusing on the Spider-man costume in TASM because that movie didn't give me anything else strong to make the costume an afterthought.

The only time I can say I thought a horrible costume/look job for a character messed the movie up for me would have to be GG's power rangers suit in SM1. Other than that, it's never been a big deal.

I don't feel Batman is as much to blame as The Matrix is.
Gonna have to agree with this.

I'd even throw X-Men in there.

Seemed like Batman ('89) was more or less a fair representation of what was seen in the comics. Very similar to suits he had worn, only darker and more monochromatic, but overall, I would lay the blame elsewhere. If anything Batman sort of does his own thing and doesn't follow any necessary trend.

man_of_steel_2013.jpg

Blue tights were just fine for more than 30 years. Why the sudden need to put him in rubber? Dark rubber at that, hm?

They were fine to you, but they were mocked by many. Embarrassing.

The idea of it having more tangible meaning now, and being able to justify taking it seriously for once, should be a plus to any fan.

I love the new direction of the Superman suit myself. Didn't want tights nor did I want red trousers, although I think there should have been some red on his suit where the trousers would've been.

I love the new direction of the Superman suit myself. Didn't want tights nor did I want red trousers, although I think there should have been some red on his suit where the trousers would've been.

I'm kinda on the fence with the whole "red trunks, no red trunks" debate. I grew up on Superman movies and comics, and don't really see the need to change his look. On the other hand, the new look doesn't really bother me that much.

What does bother me about his outfit, and the SMR costume, is the butt ugly shades of blue, red, and yellow they chose. It's like they're trying to turn Superman into a dark, serious, "Batman-like" character by giving him a darker outfit and, possibly, a personality to match.

Superman doesn't have a dark and serious personality. He never did, and IMO, he never should. He's the ultimate Boyscout. Always helpful, always friendly, always courteous. He didn't choose to become a Superhero because muggers killed his parents. He chose to become a superhero because he believes it's the right thing to do. He could wipe out crime easily by going all Punisher on the criminal element. What mugger would ever leave his home if he knew a homicidal Kryptonian vigilante was flying about? But he doesn't. He controls himself and takes criminals in alive.

Thus the BRIGHT red, blue, and yellow costume.

Is Tim Burton to blame? I don't know. But that's my 2 cents.

The MOS suit isn't made of rubber, and it isn't that dark. Superman has worn dark blue before.

If you watch the MOS trailer, you'll see that the film has an over-exposed look to it. It's bright, just not saturated.

Is Tim Burton to blame? I don't know. But that's my 2 cents.

If anything, one should look past Christopher Nolan as this question sums my feelings up about leather in CBMs.

JAK®;25117575 said:
The MOS suit isn't made of rubber, and it isn't that dark. Superman has worn dark blue before.

If you watch the MOS trailer, you'll see that the film has an over-exposed look to it. It's bright, just not saturated.

mos_suit_xp.png

I've heard many times that the suit has a similar Fleischer look and I agree.

man_of_steel_2013.jpg

He's not in rubber.

I don't think the brightness of the colors are a matter of how 'dark and edgy' it's meant to seem. It's just a matter of it not being corny.

Hell, Nolan's Batman portrayal ended up being a story about hope and climbing for the light anyway.

Nothing wrong with a serious Superman portrayal done well.

Last edited:
I've heard many times that the suit has a similar Fleischer look and I agree.

I love the Fleischer look / lighting to MOS. I think a lot of people are overlooking that throwback / connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"