Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

The prime example of the misguided influence of Batman's suit on other heroes, is the Flash costume for the TV series. Why on earth did the Scarlet Speedster need that rubber muscled suit!
comingsoonflash.jpg

I believe the scientist lady explained that the suit contained his molecules or something like that

The prime example of the misguided influence of Batman's suit on other heroes, is the Flash costume for the TV series. Why on earth did the Scarlet Speedster need that rubber muscled suit!
comingsoonflash.jpg

It was a Russian deep sea diving suit that was filled with heating and cooling tubes to maintain a stable body temperature as stated in the pilot.

:yay:When did Russian deep sea divers start wearing suits modeled after Charles Atlas:cwink:

Regardless of the explanation, it was a padded rubber muscle suit. Even more meaningless as Shipp was in great super-hero shape!

it was the first time in forever that a super hero live action series was on tv (Incredible Hulk was the last I think) and comic books were kind of in a downturn at that point

:yay:When did Russian deep sea divers start wearing suits modeled after Charles Atlas:cwink:
Regardless of the explanation, it was a padded rubber muscle suit. Even more meaningless as Shipp was in great super-hero shape!

So I guess you don't remember the episode then. Because after the explanation Barry said something to the effect of "I feel it molding to me and expanding" to which Tina explained that it's the way the suit does the heating and cooling. If you have the DVD it's the scene in the pilot at the running track before they try to test his top speed.

comingsoonflash.jpg

That whole show was modeled on Burton's Batman. Didn't Flash say to a villain "You made me"? There was a scene where a bolt flashed in front of the moon, just like they did with the Batwing, and Flash was very much portrayed as a dark knight type.

just a few things...
1) Of the failed superhero movies...none of them failed because of the costume. Did Superman Returns fail because of the costume or the story???
2)I think if a character has an Iconic costume then that costume should be used. There should be no reason we have to wait for the Avengers movie to see Cap in his 616 costume.
3)The only reason why we arent getting a more comics faithful Batsuit is because of the 60's Batman tv show. I dont mind an armored suit but it would have made the movie better for me if TDK featured the suit from the Arkham Asylum video game.

- the costume in Superman Returns was ass though, the cape looked like a dirty Fruit Roll up

- I don't mind seeing WW2 Cap at all

- the costume in Superman Returns was ass though, the cape looked like a dirty Fruit Roll up

- I don't mind seeing WW2 Cap at all

however was that the reason the SR failed????

not being a fan of the ultimate universe I'd rather see 616 Cap

The suit may not have been the SOLE downfall of the movie but it didn't help. It reflected Singer's whole approach-which was 100% wrong.

however was that the reason the SR failed????

I think it was one of the factors...if the suit look stupid, how are people supposed to take the hero seriously

not being a fan of the ultimate universe I'd rather see 616 Cap

and I'd rather people just use "regular universe" as opposed to 616 and trying to be cool, but we don't always get what we want now do we?:oldrazz:

and I wasn't even referring to Ultimate Cap, but the old school Captain America comics from the 40's and 50's

I think it was one of the factors...if the suit look stupid, how are people supposed to take the hero seriously

i think it was one of the factors to us..but did the GA think the suit was a failure?

and I'd rather people just use "regular universe" as opposed to 616 and trying to be cool, but we don't always get what we want now do we?:oldrazz:

and I wasn't even referring to Ultimate Cap, but the old school Captain America comics from the 40's and 50's

I wasnt trying to be cool...thats the label of the costume....and by that I mean the costume from the 40's

I wasn't polling at the theater....some friends of mine, who arent comic fans, wondered about the suit...I think because they expected something similar to Chris Reeves or Dean Cains costume

How you dress the hero reflects how you view the hero, IMO.

agreed. From what I am hearing of Cap I am getting a feeling of contempt for the character

you have a problem with the history of the character then?? his roots are in ww2 and I see nothing wrong with showing a people a side of the character they normally wouldn't get to see

was the history of Cap to be singing and dancing on the USO circuit???

No...but as I read it, seems a good way to explain to the non-fans and general audience why a guy on the battlefield is running around in a red,white, and blue outfit

and I was rather cranky about it at first when I read it, but I ran it by my 20 yr old sister and it made sense to her (shes my barometer for general audience type reactions)

This is what I mean. Why should he have to be explained beyond the notion of promoting patriotism? Overjustifying, overexplaining and oversimplifying is what leads to these radical departures.

eh, one of the more interesting costumes in movies has to be "The Phantom"

I didn't like the Phantom costume.
phantom_narrow.jpg

I was never a fan of his basic design, I'm getting a little tired of the painted eyelids, & this suit has airbrushed patterns in a movie set in a time before airbrushing was invented.

i think it was done to give the suit a little 'pop', the skull theme and all that....the standard design is fairly basic and works well on paper

How you dress the hero reflects how you view the hero, IMO.
This is what I mean. Why should he have to be explained beyond the notion of promoting patriotism? Overjustifying, overexplaining and oversimplifying is what leads to these radical departures.

But Nolan was accurate enough even with the overjustifying and overexplaining.

Nolan's bat-suit in TDK was quite horrid. His bat-cape (in both BB and TDK) looked like a cheap curtain.

and the capes in the previous movies looked stiff as all hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"