Superman Returns has this been addressed here? Glasses on Young Clark

Whack Arnolds said:
Haha, to keep him an "honest boy", so he wouldn't look through girls clothes. haha, I wonder if they explain it in the movie. But how can glasses be made of led?

how can a man fly? anything can happen in film. lol

biggles2000uk said:
how can a man fly? anything can happen in film. lol
Thats plausible with Superman. How can an old lady take led and make glasses out of them? Does she tell Clark, or is it a secret to keep the x-ray vision from working? It doesn't make sense..

I think it may be like Smallville where all his extra powers like X-ray vision and heat vision came after he turned 15. For example in the beggining of that show he had super speed and strength. In the first episode it looks like he got slight invulnerability. In that episode he stuck his hand in the farm equipment and his dad hurried up and grabbed his hand only to reveal that he was perfectly fine. maybey he had bad vision but speed and strength then his enhaced sight abilities kicked in.

In L&C they did have a FOS kinda. It was the name of Clark's tree house where we saw he put the globe at the end of the episode

Whack Arnolds said:
Haha, to keep him an "honest boy", so he wouldn't look through girls clothes. haha, I wonder if they explain it in the movie. But how can glasses be made of led?

Old glass, especially stained glass, sometimes have traces of lead in them. So maybe the glasses have enough lead trace in them so that they look normal, but block his x-ray vision (or at least make it blury).

The real reason why he's wearing his glasses is he's already working at the daily planet part time.

She had them made specially by...I can't remember, something about grinding in tiny pieces of lead into the glass.

One take on the glasses had them fabricated from the transparent materials of the ship(possibly lenses over dials making them the perfect size for glasses), making them also indestructable.

i always imagined clark putting the glasses on so that he would blend in more. he didn't want to stand out, just wanted to be a normal boy. he uses the glasses so that others won't think otherwise.

Kurosawa said:
He was already working on his Clark persona while in Smallville.

So, you're saying that he hafd already decided to become a super hero when he was a kid?

Anyway, I guess it makes sense that, as his vision powers were developing, his eyes sucked ass.

i thought he was just wearing his dead fathers glasses

Okay, I've seen the scene where Clark leaps onto the water tower (or whatever) and then he adjust his glasses. Why is he wearing them in the first place? If he did not become Superman until after he was an adult (like the current continuity AND SM1) then he would have no need to wear them.

This same thing happened in the Lois and Clark TV show. Clark shows up to Metropolis wearing glasses AND then decides he needs an secret identity. The point is . . . if he was never disguising himself in the first place why would he be wearing glasses he obviously never needed in the first place?

Plus, if this does take place after SM1, then young Clark in the first movie never wore them there either. I know this sounds petty, but it's things like this that people like us (comic fans) wonder about.

I have no answer, but I agree with the trailer/L&C glasses stuff

Yeah, I noticed that too.

His abilities are developing, like x-ray vision and heat vision. His eyes are still adjusting.

Ma Kent makes the glasses out of lead to control Clark's X-Ray vision. It's in the script.

Mr. Thing said:
His abilities are developing, like x-ray vision and heat vision. His eyes are still adjusting.
Okay..

But how would having glasses factor into that at all? And would that mean that they are not for his disguise?

I'm not stirring sh** up, just conversing

I agree, it seems weird, but I'm sure that we'll get an explornation in the film.. In the ShoWest footage, it was described that when Ma Kent says her line "You know, the world can always use more good reporters"... She's sitting on the bed with young Clark, and she gives him the glasses! So I guess the explornation lies in there, somewhere.

matthooper said:
Ma Kent makes the glasses out of lead to control Clark's X-Ray vision. It's in the script.
Wow, this little ridiculous tidbit better be wrong...

i don't understand what's the problem with young Clark wearing glasses...

...they have to answer the question of "why wouldn't people from Smallville recognize Superman as Clark?" somehow.

I thought someone posted at somepoint that the glasses were Pa Kent's and Clark was wearing them because they were his dad's.

KrypJonian said:
Okay..

But how would having glasses factor into that at all? And would that mean that they are not for his disguise?

I'm not stirring sh** up, just conversing

The glasses can help control his sight, as it's a bit iffy with all the x-ray stuff going on. I think he uses them as a disguise when he gets older, but the disguise stems from this.

Venom71 said:
I thought someone posted at somepoint that the glasses were Pa Kent's and Clark was wearing them because they were his dad's.

That's like me wearing my dad's boxers. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"