Superman Returns has this been addressed here? Glasses on Young Clark

if i were Singer...i would use the glasses as an excuse for Clark to fit in better. considering young Clark is supposed to be stronger and faster than the kids his age, he would want to find ways of making himself feel more human so wearing glasses is one way of doing that...

...but that's just me.

yeah, i thought he had bad vision as a kid due to his developing xray/heat vision, and then one day he drops his glasses, tries to focus his vision to find them, and ends up looking through the floor to find his ship in the basement.

is that not right?

As a kid Supes comes into his powers gradually....so maybe as a younger kid he still had the normal trouble with his eyes that lots of little kids do. As he matures and his power develops his vision sharpens and the glasses are no longer needed except for his "disguise". Like Peter Parker after he got bit.....powers came and vision cleared.

matthooper said:
Ma Kent makes the glasses out of lead to control Clark's X-Ray vision. It's in the script.

So young Supes is Cyclops??? :confused:

Wow...Singers been working on the X films for too long :p

Venom71 said:
I thought someone posted at somepoint that the glasses were Pa Kent's and Clark was wearing them because they were his dad's.

This makes better sense.

Sarcasm said:
This makes better sense.

maybe it does, but it seems kinda weird. pa kent dies when clark is 15. stephan looks 15, but jeff east the original young clark looked like he was 30. i think that people are thinking that pa dies later because stephan looks so young compared to jeff.

it looks like singer and co. are filling in the gaps from the s:tm. it just cuts to him in the corn field after the funeral, so this stuff is happening between those scenes.

Mr. Credible said:
yeah, i thought he had bad vision as a kid due to his developing xray/heat vision, and then one day he drops his glasses, tries to focus his vision to find them, and ends up looking through the floor to find his ship in the basement.

is that not right?

That's what i'm thinking too...kinda like how SV got Clark to wear glasses, minus the FOTW element.

(Don't hate y'all its just MY theory)

I understand that, but WHY does he wear them?

EDIT: Wait...scratch that, I don't wanna know. (I'll wait for the movie)

I think Singer thought it makes more sense to hide his identity from childhood, so when he grows up noone from Smallville will make the comparison with no glasses wearing Clark with Superman.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but can anyone explain to me why young Clark wore glasses? Was that addressed in the novelization? Seems like a major screw up on Singer's part.

Why was that scene in the movie at all? It didn't serve any purpose to the plot or the story of the film whatsoever. They made such a big deal about that set but what was used in the film makes the entire operation a waste of time and money. Things like this make me believe that there is some real truth to the rumors about Singer being over budget.

that part was in there to show how he first learned he could fly.

maybe young Clark had problems with his eyesight, much like how Jason had problems with his asthma.

Clark crashing in the barn is like Jason tossing the piano. they were both cured after that.

SFII said:
that part was in there to show how he first learned he could fly.

maybe young Clark had problems with his eyesight, much like how Jason had problems with his asthma.
And that was necessary to the plot? Had it not been included, the audience would be left scratching their heads as to why Superman is able to fly? Give me a break.

I believe the original scene, before being cut down, also showed young Clark finding the first crystal in the barn. But since the scene was cut down, I'm not sure what it was supposed to do except show that Superman is glad to be back to his true home, the home he grew up in and would die to protect.

As for his glasses, I think it was mentioned somewhere that his x-ray vision was iffy while growing up, so glasses with lead in the glass was used to keep the x-ray vision in check. Can't remember if that was official, or just someone's theory, but I like the idea.

wiegeabo said:
I believe the original scene, before being cut down, also showed young Clark finding the first crystal in the barn. But since the scene was cut down, I'm not sure what it was supposed to do except show that Superman is glad to be back to his true home, the home he grew up in and would die to protect.

As for his glasses, I think it was mentioned somewhere that his x-ray vision was iffy while growing up, so glasses with lead in the glass was used to keep the x-ray vision in check. Can't remember if that was official, or just someone's theory, but I like the idea.
so they built an entire farm set for something that could have been shot on a sound stage? It really was a waste...i mean it looked cool, but I would rather see more of Clark/Superman doing stuff that developing his character...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"