Hawkeye Hawkeye General Discussion Thread

Silver Surfer

Power Cosmic
Reaction score
D_9jfV_U8AIF5YW.jpg

I'd love to be excited for this because I really enjoyed Fraction's series and I like Kate Bishop, but Renner's Hawkeye is garbage and that's kind of a big problem.

Also it should have been a movie.

I thought Renner seemed to have the best Hall H reception this year.

Everything they said at SDCC is inline with what I want. The mentoring of Bishop, getting into his Ronin period, it all sounds great.

I'd love to be excited for this because I really enjoyed Fraction's series and I like Kate Bishop, but Renner's Hawkeye is garbage and that's kind of a big problem.

Also it should have been a movie.
"Garbage"?

Is he as compelling as 616 Clint? (Who was great even before Fraction I might add...) No. They didn't leverage Hawkeyes as much as I would like as a big fan of his. But... Garbage?

I can't take that opinion seriously.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. To me, he's not the Hawkeye I love from the comics (I actually haven't read the Fraction run, tbh), but Age of Ultron added some interesting moments that really worked for the character - especially once he and Wanda are pinned down inside that building. That speech was great.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. To me, he's not the Hawkeye I love from the comics (I actually haven't read the Fraction run, tbh), but Age of Ultron added some interesting moments that really worked for the character - especially once he and Wanda are pinned down inside that building. That speech was great.

You can see moments where they touch on the characterization from the comics but they are fleeting. But that's not on Renner that's just a poor outcome of getting lost in the mix of the sprawling cast.

That said... I still like the character in the MCU. I love his casual badassness. I love that he is very grounded and down to Earth. I love his cool head under insane pressure. Do I wish there was more of Clint's sarcastic bluntness? Yeah. At the same time... The MCU has made a choice to make every other hero a sarcastic or deadpan quipper, so would that be all that unique? And honestly despite it being different from the comics the making him a family man works for me so far and boy was it used to great effect in Endgame.

I think there was more to be done but... Garbage? As stated, I can't take that seriously, just more hyperbolic fanboy opinion that fills the Internet daily.

One aspect from the Fraction run that carried over nicely to the MCU is the depiction of Clint as a working class shmoe rubbing elbows with gods and monsters. I definitely could see Renner cooking burgers on a rooftop deck and getting mildly annoyed when referred to as Hawk Guy.

You can see moments where they touch on the characterization from the comics but they are fleeting. But that's not on Renner that's just a poor outcome of getting lost in the mix of the sprawling cast.

That said... I still like the character in the MCU. I love his casual badassness. I love that he is very grounded and down to Earth. I love his cool head under insane pressure. Do I wish there was more of Clint's sarcastic bluntness? Yeah. At the same time... The MCU has made a choice to make every other hero a sarcastic or deadpan quipper, so would that be all that unique? And honestly despite it being different from the comics the making him a family man works for me so far and boy was it used to great effect in Endgame.

I think there was more to be done but... Garbage? As stated, I can't take that seriously, just more hyperbolic fanboy opinion that fills the Internet daily.
I see you repeating this over and over again and its factually incorrect. The majority of the mcu heroes and heroines are pretty serious. The sarcastic quipsters are the minority.

I see you repeating this over and over again and its factually incorrect. The majority of the mcu heroes and heroines are pretty serious. The sarcastic quipsters are the minority.
And I see you repeatedly being unable to deal with the fact that people can actually have criticisms of the MCU. We all have our crosses to bear. :o

MCU Clint has been at his best when mentoring or being a father figure, whether it's with his own kids or the Maximoffs, so I think there's a good chance I will like his depiction in this show the most.

And I see you repeatedly being unable to deal with the fact that people can actually have criticisms of the MCU. We all have our crosses to bear. :o
Heh, that's very ironic coming from someone who can't accept someone else's personal opinion on a fictional character.

Feel free to not take it seriously but it is my opinion that MCU Hawkeye is garbage. Everything about him bores me to death. His personality is boring. His generic family is boring. His costumes (besides the Ronin one) are boring. The ways he uses the bow is boring. He's no one's favorite Avenger, and easily one the dullest characters of the MCU.

I have no idea how this adaptation of Fraction's great run is gonna work given that it will be missing the most important thing... a likable Hawkeye. I guess it's up to Kate to save this show.

Last edited:
MCU Clint has been at his best when mentoring or being a father figure, whether it's with his own kids or the Maximoffs, so I think there's a good chance I will like his depiction in this show the most.
Yeah I like this aspect of his character and am up for seeing more of it.

One of the best things about Fraction's run is that it rightfully portrayed Kate as Clint's equal and not as her mentee or (even worse) her daughter figure; Kate is self-made and independent and in some respects she's a better Hawkeye than Clint, and that's something that even he would admit.

Clint being a "father figure" to Kate would be ungood. Isn't this supposed to be an adaptation of Fraction's Hawkeye?

Last edited:
I wonder if we will get to see Clint's wife and children also in this series

Heh, that's very ironic coming from someone who can't accept someone else's personal opinion on a fictional character.

Feel free to not take it seriously but it is my opinion that MCU Hawkeye is garbage. Everything about him bores me to death. His personality is boring. His generic family is boring. His costumes (besides the Ronin one) are boring. The ways he uses the bow is boring. He's no one's favorite Avenger, and easily one the dullest characters of the MCU.

I have no idea how this adaptation of Fraction's great run is gonna work given that it will be missing the most important thing... a likable Hawkeye. I guess it's up to Kate to save this show.

I can deal with criticism... But I'm highly dismissive of hyperbolic fanboy nonsense such as when posters online go into their holster and pull out "garbage" as some kind of all around descriptor that... It almost NEVER actually gets applied correctly.

I wish MCU Clint was a lot more like comic Clint. I love comic Clint to death having read him for decades... But MCU Clint being "garbage"? I'm sorry... That's just silly to me. Sorry my opinion of your opinion offends, but I'm basing it on how "garbage" is so hyperbolic as to be obviously so over the top as to not being worthy of taking seriously as a criticism. Be disappointed at him not being as effusive and quip happy and with the same devil may care attitude as comic Hawkeye. But to say that the character is "garbage"? That's the full flower of the caricature of the online fanboy. Something isn't just not as good as we hoped, it's the worst thing ever. So yeah... I can't respect that as a legitimate take.

Clint being a "father figure" to Kate would be ungood. Isn't this supposed to be an adaptation of Fraction's Hawkeye?

Key word there is adaptation. There are always going to be changes from the source material. But for all we know he tries to do the father figure thing and she rejects it.

A Tribute to the MCU's Avenging Archer, Jeremy Renner's Clint Barton, code name: Hawkeye, using the song Main Attraction by... Jeremy Renner:

Well if not Dever, then bad place yes to Steinfield for Kate. Also means a legit shot we see her in the movies someday.

I’m good with this casting! Steinfeld seems like a good fit.

But I’m still busy wondering whether we could see Bishop’s other role model, Mockingbird, show up in the series: Adrianne Palicki was promised a spin-off show and never got one, so this seems like the right time to make up for that. And it’s not like she was a main character on AoS for more than one and a half seasons or whatnot. That would be a dream come true.

Now this is casting I can get behind.

Reactions: KBX
Oh, wow.

Hailee's wonderful and this is a huge get for the MCU.

It was only a matter of time before either Marvel or DC snatched her up.

It's also almost a given we'll eventually see her in the movies as well.

Last edited:
Can't believe there are people out there complaining that she's not Asian (both the initial artist and writer for Kate Bishop said they never specified her ethnicity and Steinfeld is 1/8th Filipino) and she's supposedly shown support for Israel by having the audacity to pose with female IDF soldiers. If a studio can get an Oscar-nominated actress for a role, then they'll go hard after that person, especially if they fit and there's mutual interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"