Hawley's Doctor Doom Film

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by HBarnill, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Mjölnir Guest

I'm disappointed in that they keep going on with the FF franchise. Whether this movie has a real chance of being good is something I'll judge further down the line.

I've still only seen the first episode of Legion which was interesting, but I don't know if I can call it good. I do plan to watch the rest, but this far I don't care what happens to anyone I've seen.

2. Mike Murdock Registered

The word "antagonist" would be the biggest reason why not. It sounds like Doom is the protagonist in this story.

I don't agree with that. My biggest complaint here is divorcing the Fantastic Four from Dr. Doom. Plus, while I want to see the FF in the MCU, I wouldn't mind a good FF film with Doom one day regardless of where it is (as little hope as I have) and severing the two would be poor.

No one is saying they don't have the right to make an FF movie. What I (and many others) are saying is they've butchered this property enough times that they don't deserve the benefit of any doubt. Josh Trank was exciting when he got signed on board, but the project started to look questionable before Fox panicked and took it away from him to create a terrible Frankenstein movie.

3. GoblinScrier Registered

It should chronicle his rise to power in Latveria adapting Books of Doom and trust me President Trump IS superior to Obama but that's another post

4. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Are Fox going to have the balls to finally make him Victor Domashev, anti-social blogger extraordinaire who goes by the handle of "Doom"?

Because they missed that one last time round when the film finally came out.

5. Spiderine Sho nuff

I am sure it will be a backstory of Doom before he becomes the powerful dictator of Latveria.

Its just a shame that it will push Doom's appearance in the MCU that much further into the future. Its going to be a long time before we see him if they make this film.

6. DalekbusterFitz Dalekbuster523

I like the Fantastic Four but I feel like we all need to tell Fox somehow that we want Fantastic Four in the MCU, and the only way we can do that is by refusing to see their movies. So I'm boycotting until they at least agree to share the characters with Marvel-Disney.

7. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Trust you?

No thanks.

8. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

in the same way that Tommy Wiseau is superior to Orson Welles

9. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Tommy Wiseau for Doom!

10. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Sony was open minded and worked with MCU to make everyone happier.

Spider-man was in Civil War and he'll be in Avengers 3 and 4. Homecoming was the best Spider-man movie in at least the last 13 years.

People want similar success and continuity with the Fantastic Four.

Fox is wasting alot of great story opportunities by keeping the FF. Also they don't know what makes the FF work. They need counsel from Marvel Studios even more than Sony.

11. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

This is an important point. Noah Hawley and Fox might be able to cobble together a decent Doom film, but then what? Fox has never made anything close to what the FF should be. How is a Doom film going to get them to where they need to be? Who would make the FF film? Simon Kinberg? Hawley has certainly never done anything to make me feel like the FF is in his sweet-spot, so we could get a decent Doom film then another crappy FF film and we're just stuck right back where we were. But enough years will have been chewed up that I'll probably die before I ever see a decent FF film. :csad:

12. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Why, Scott Buck of course. :o

They definitely don't have anywhere to go even if they make a decent Doom film. Who is he going to fight if they can't get the FF right?

13. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Reedbots

14. AlluAllu Registered

That was in comparison to Fox getting Doom and Marvel getting FF. They would be separated then too. I think Doom's interactions with MCU characters would be more interesting than FF's.

15. TeeKay Registered

16. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Doom is known for being the villain of every hero in the Marvel universe. He has made enemies of everyone, not just the FF. So making a film, and potentially film series about him completely takes away one of the biggest things about him. Not that this has ever matter to Fox before.

He can't just be fighting other FF villains and turned into an anti-hero like Sony are hoping to do with Venom or were hoping with Sinister Six.

17. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Except there have been multiple times where he wasn't a straight villain. There are multiple ways this can go. And using what is out there right now to judge what Hawley will do is foolish. Who the know what kind of good stuff Hawley is thinking up.

18. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

there's a whole other level of alchemy needed to spin this sh** into gold

19. MbJ Registered

Don't give a crap in the slightest. There's people who want the X-Men back at Marvel and yet I found Logan better than the last several MCU films by quite a large margin.

If a movie is good, I really don't give a crap about whether or not it can have an Avengers crossover.

Villain Protagonist

#94 MbJ, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  20. NealKenneth Registered

Oh, okay guys, time to stop wanting all the characters to cross over...it's "getting old."
    This is what I can't stand.

Just a few days ago we all had zero trust in Fox to do anything with the FF and literally all it took for some people to roll over and show their belly was to announce a potential director. Do they forget that Trank seemed competent in 2013?

21. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Hawley has a longer track record within the industry. Along with some stronger noteworthy accomplishments. For his second film, it could always have been not good. Even proven filmmakers can have lapses where they make stuff below expectations. Still, no one could've foreseen Trank killing his career the way he did.

Hawley has earned my trust after Legion. I am assuming he is doing this because he has a killer idea. As he doesn't strike me as one who will do something just because he was offered it. Still need to check out Fargo, though.

22. Zarex Registered

Hawley's talented, but his track record in directing films is neither good nor bad. It doesn't exist. At least Trank had a good flick under his belt.

But the concern is not so much with Noah as with FOX's track record in putting the FF character family onscreen. Are they going to commit the dollars required to provide the epic scope required of Dr. Doom: Origins? Or will the studio once again slash the budget and hope the newbie director is skilled enough to make chicken salad out of chicken feces? The track record says the latter.

23. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

have you seen anything in Legion (or Fargo btw) that screams 'Fantastic Four'? Hawley was approached because he had done Comic Book related stuff before, not because he fits that property, just like Trank was chosen, because he did Chronicle, not because his vision fitted the property.

It's still FOX for fox sake, they have a long track record for having no clue what they are doing. Why should it be different this time?

24. MbJ Registered

It's not "rolling over and showing their belly." It's being intrigued because they have a genuinely established and acclaimed creator attached.

25. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Um, Fantastic Four and their villains and don't have the don't have the same amount of self contained stories and self contained themes that X-men have.

There's a void in these crossover movies without them.

Then you have the massive plotlines you lose not having the FF villains (Skrulls, Kang, Doom, Galactus, etc).

You can do an entire phase 4-6 story MCU story arc with just FF villains alone.

But instead we get a Doom movie and an isolated and possibly half-assed FF reboot.

They're wasting huge storytelling opportunities and valuable time.