Hawley's Doctor Doom Film

Umm, isn't Latveria supposed you be your standard Middle European country? Which is extremely cheap.

Latveria is most often depicted as an European backwater with architecture and clothing decades behind its continental neighbors. And having to actually go outside to film would bump up the budget from Victor's last big screen appearance.​
1759076-latveria.jpg

If this movie gets made and if it's about Doom rescuing his mother from Hell, it's soundtrack might be full of heavy metal.

I have to admit, the idea of Doctor Doom movie excites me. Too bad it is happening in circumstances that would prevent something more awesome from happening.

As long as this stays with Fox I have no confidence nor will I see it. Despite Logan being good, I still find all the X-Films overrated and average. No excitement for anything they do.

THIS!!!!!!! :up::up::up::up::up:

It doesn't change the fact that they own the rights.
Doesn't change the fact that we have to like it or support it either.

You'd think a Fox fan would want them to pay more attention to the franchises Fox gets half right instead of defending crap by Fox that they likely won't even watch themselves!

Last edited:

Latveria is most often depicted as an European backwater with architecture and clothing decades behind its continental neighbors. And having to actually go outside to film would bump up the budget from Victor's last big screen appearance.​
1759076-latveria.jpg

:up:

If they do it right, it should be similar to what Marvel is doing with Wakanda - very stylistic and timeless with elements that feel like they're from 500 years ago and other elements that that feel like they're from 500 years in the future.

I'm not surprised Marvel is doing Wakanda right. I will be very surprised if Fox does Latveria right.

Why is there all this clamor over how Noah Hawley is going to handle a villain protagonist. Just watch Fargo. The fact that he already has an award winning solution to "the problem" is probably why he was hired, y'know?

The countries that would fill in for Latveria would be cheap to film in, though. See: Underworld or Ghost Rider 2.

Why is there all this clamor over how Noah Hawley is going to handle a villain protagonist. Just watch Fargo. The fact that he already has an award winning solution to the problem is probably why he was hired, y'know?

I do wonder if they hired him for this specifically, or they asked him what he would do with the FF property, and this was his idea.

I do wonder if they hired him for this specifically, or they asked him what he would do with the FF property, and this was his idea.

THAT is a distinct possibility. His angle on superheroes is quite off-beat.

Don't give a crap in the slightest. There's people who want the X-Men back at Marvel and yet I found Logan better than the last several MCU films by quite a large margin.

I love when people bring up a film where its star left Fox-men and denied RR's request to crossover his Wolverine with Deadpool while still wanting to be a part of the MCU.

I haven't seen Logan nor have no plans to but I get Hugh Jackman's point about the MCU the last 9 years and Hope Marvel Studio's sign's him as another MCU character then.

Plus what the heck does Logan have to do with Fox's treatment of the F4 all these years anyway????

Hawley has a longer track record within the industry.
Is it longer than Fox's track record with Fantastic Four?

Last edited:
THAT is a distinct possibility. His angle on superheroes is quite off-beat.

Didn't we get "off-beat" just a couple of years ago? That didn't work out so well.

I enjoyed Legion, but I'm not seeing how a TV show with a morally questionable protagonist equips Hawley to make a super villain backstory film starring a sorcerer monarch in a weaponized suit of armor. As we saw with Trank, having succeeded with one part of the story in the past - Pals get superpowers! - doesn't equal success in an entirely different story.

And Logan and Deadpool, both of which I enjoyed quite a bit more than several recent MCU entries (Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Guardians 2 mostly).

Great! Will Doom be rated R then.....?

I ask because people can't seem to use Fox's PG13 X-men: Apocalypse in their defense.

Why is there all this clamor over how Noah Hawley is going to handle a villain protagonist. Just watch Fargo. The fact that he already has an award winning solution to "the problem" is probably why he was hired, y'know?

Wasn't Trank's Chronicle the reason he was hired for 4stic..... (I enjoyed Chronicle btw)

Last edited:
Didn't we get "off-beat" just a couple of years ago? That didn't work out so well.

I enjoyed Legion, but I'm not seeing how a TV show with a morally questionable protagonist equips Hawley to make a super villain backstory film starring a sorcerer monarch in a weaponized suit of armor. As we saw with Trank, having succeeded with one part of the story in the past - Pals get superpowers! - doesn't equal success in an entirely different story.

And what were the qualifications the Russo's had? Sometimes a filmmaker works out, and sometimes not. Kind of hard to see into the future. I do remember everyone was extremely hyped for Alan Taylor. The best you can do is hope for the best until a filmmaker builds up enough of a filmography beyond 2-3 films.

It's likely the same people who're blindly following Sony's Venom and Silver and Black crap despite Sony's poor 12+ year Marvel Track record.

Better yet if they're anything like the people in those Facebook Marvel Movie groups who praised 4stic's first trailer this shouldn't be a surprise...

Either way 20th Century isn't getting a dime from me from now on. And I'm not supporting their TV shows either not that there's really anything worth watching on Fox, FX, etc. to begin with! :cmad:

They won't feel any impact from a cross the board boycott.

But a FF/Doom boycott would be heard loud and clear.

No, we did not. You may be confusing comics faithfulness with not being mainstream, which is what off beat is colloquial for, not off of your personal beat. Fant4stic was entirely mainstream, down to the blue beam into the sky. That was part of why it was so boring.

The reason I would think of Hawley as the go-to person for a Dr. Doom story is because he has won awards for making compelling engaging villain protagonists in Fargo, and he also has gotten critical acclaim for epic and interesting superhuman powers in Legion. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more qualified.

I can understand the whole 'he's never made a movie, he'll fall apart like Trank did' from a pessimist point of view. But the differences to me seem quite clear. At the end of the day, if Fox doesn't agree with him, Hawley can walk away and continue to be incredibly successful. Trank didn't really have that option.

Wasn't Trank's Chronicle the reason he was hired for 4stic..... (I enjoyed Chronicle btw)

I think so, and so if there was a question about how Trank was could possibly handle the character relationships between young people with powers, I would be equally as dumbstruck.

Not if Fox wants more money.
Indeed....

People are quick to praise Fox's rated R Marvel films but after Fox's treatment of DP's original Director, I'm willing to bet the farm that the sequel won't be as well received or financially successful.

That and they're 0-2 when it comes to there PG13 Marvel films the last 2 years so bring up Logan and DP to defend another F4 reboot doesn't help them.

Last edited:
And what were the qualifications the Russo's had? Sometimes a filmmaker works out, and sometimes not. Kind of hard to see into the future. I do remember everyone was extremely hyped for Alan Taylor. The best you can do is hope for the best until a filmmaker builds up enough of a filmography beyond 2-3 films.

Well, the Russos had directed a feature.

Hawley's talented, but I think that a super villain backstory is a heck of a lot harder to pull off than a mob film or other standard story involving a morally questionable lead. I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison.

I want the FF in the MCU, so I'm not watching it regardless. But I also question FOX's commitment based on their past efforts and I don't see any of the super villain spin offs (Venom, Silver & Black, Doom: Genesis) succeeding.

Is there any news that suggests this movie would be Doom's backstory? I mean, it certainly may be an origin story, but is there any reason to think the mask will go on at the end of the movie as opposed to the end of Act I?

I like the Fantastic Four but I feel like we all need to tell Fox somehow that we want Fantastic Four in the MCU, and the only way we can do that is by refusing to see their movies. So I'm boycotting until they at least agree to share the characters with Marvel-Disney.

I won't flat out boycott, but I do have much higher standards. They're really going to have to impress me that they understand it and are doing it right (which a solo Dr. Doom movie divorced from the FF doesn't suggest that).

That was in comparison to Fox getting Doom and Marvel getting FF. They would be separated then too. I think Doom's interactions with MCU characters would be more interesting than FF's.

But that's never happening anyway. This Dr. Doom movie will extend their Fantastic Four rights another seven years or so. It doesn't cause the FF rights to revert just because Reed Richards isn't in it.

Which isn't the same thing as an antagonist.

I'm very curious about this. I just hope they aren't afraid to spend the necessary money. The mystical elements should be on full display, and that won't be cheap.

Is there any news that suggests this movie would be Doom's backstory? I mean, it certainly may be an origin story, but is there any reason to think the mask will go on at the end of the movie as opposed to the end of Act I?

There's literally nothing right now.
Hawley just said he's developing Dr Doom at the end of yesterday's Legion panel.

They won't feel any impact from a cross the board boycott.

But a FF/Doom boycott would be heard loud and clear.

Well between the CBM.com comments, IGN comments, Youtube comments, Facebook Group comments etc.... To me the overall consensus feels the same as it is here, meaning....

65% are like: "Just let it go Fox! Revert back to Marvel!",
20% are like: "Blah, blah Logan! Blah, blah, Deadpool!"
15% Don't really care either way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"