Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter back for Cap 2!

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Golgo-13, Jun 22, 2013.

1. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

If Hayley were playing Sharon in TWS I would actually embrace the lesser Carter's inclusion in the film. Going from Hayley to any other actress will definitely feel like a step down. (I do like Johansson as Black Widow, however, and would love to see a Steve/Natasha romance.)

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

It is creepy, weird, and delusional.

Atwell is great, but yes, come on. Reality check.

3. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

Man, you guys really don't like Emily Van Camp.... not sure why... she's on par with Atwell I think... i think I'll go watch me some revenge .....

4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I think the problem is with Van Camp is that from all the material we've seen it looks like she might not have that prominent a role in the movie. Not to mention there are a ton of characters in this movie to juggle around so they might just take a step back on the whole Cap/Sharon Carter romance thing for now anyway.

5. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

She's also not credited as a main character on wikipedia (which may not be reliable) while BW is.

6. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Wikipedia is not always reliable for cast listings so I wouldn't use them as your only source.

7. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

That's probably it, but it kind of ticks me off that the character's usability is tied to her being the main character's squeeze.

It's like, in the comics she's one of SHIELD's best agents, at one point she was Director of SHIELD. But because she was introduced to be a love interest, and they might not have any intention of using her as such for the moment, they don't feel like using her in a major role in a movie chock full of SHILED agents in major roles. :cmad:

On the other hand, and speaking of love interests, how cool is it that Peggy is getting her own movie? Her purpose WAS to be the love interest, but through sheer charisma (and good writing) Hayley made her a captivating character in her own right that people became interested in telling her own story. That's pretty awesome.

8. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

I have a cool idea... let's try and discredit other people's opinions by handwaving them away as creepy and delusional! That's an awesome and totally rationale way of getting our personal feelings across, and illustrates just how mature we truly are in our online discussions.

9. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

Personally, I think it is awesome that Marvel would put so much money for an Agent Carter short just as an exclusive for the IM3 Blu-Ray content. This seems very much like a fanservice for us, and by no means do they have to do it since IM3 will sell itself anyway, but it's still pretty awesome for them to give it to us.

10. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Seems par for the course in the Cap threads. A bunch of people jumped my **** many moons ago about Steve Rogers dating Peggy Carter's granddaughter/niece/whatever as "creepy" and incestuous; I responded a few weeks ago with comments about Steve getting frisky with Old Peggy in the old folks' home as being "creepy" May-December; still got my **** jumped.

No matter who Steve ends up with in this movie --- Sharon, Peggy, or Natasha --- *somebody* is going to go ape**** over it. He's got three of the most beautiful actresses working today lined up, and he can't nail any of them without somebody getting outraged and offended. :whatever:

11. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

It was reliable for IM3, when they put Killian and Hansen above The Mandarin. I thought it was just a mistake....but it wasn't. :oldrazz:

12. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

Yeah its not creepy. Its a completely unprecedented situation actually, so of course its kinda weird. But not creepy. Cap's a busy man so he's gonna take his chances when they're available. No indication this will happen, but its hardly a long-shot.

13. Axl Van Sixx

Axl Van Sixx Comrade

Emily Van Camp has been so downplayed I feel like her role will basically be equivalent to Maria Hill's in The Avengers, i.e. a minor supporting character.

14. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

So is it immature to be creeped out by something, or is it hypocritical to handwave people with different opinions as immature handwavers?

That's a safe bet.

Except it's not completely unprecedented. People have moved on and dated their ex's granddaughters/grandnieces before. It's just that this time, he doesn't look like an old man next to her. So it's only slightly less creepy than usual.

15. Whiskey Tango

No, it's immature to call other posters creepy, weird and delusional over a discussion about a relationship between fictional characters, which is what was going on. Maybe you can try reading the entire conversation next time.

16. xeno000

17. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

18. Whiskey Tango

God, can she have her own movie please?

19. xeno000

Now I want to see a whole movie of secret agent Peggy, beating the hell out of bad guys without mussing a hair on her head. She's Marvel's first superheroine. :word:

20. Whiskey Tango

There's some mileage to be had there. Peggy and her hand-picked team of badass spy-hunters cleaning up Hydra remnants and other early threats. Howard Stark and select Howling Commandoes as a supporting cast. Maybe evn introduce a few of the Invaders while you're at it.

I don't know if the general audiences would go for it but I sure as heck would.

21. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Maybe they should do an Agent Carter and the Howling Commandoes as every Marvel One-Shot. I sure wouldn't get tired of them.

22. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I'd be all for a Marvel Golden Age TV series featuring Peggy and the Howlers. Hell, I'd even be happy if Cap wasn't even in it, and the series was post-WWII Cold War era.

Also, someone tweeted a mild spoiler about the full One-Shot:

They said that Zodiac, the "maguffin" in Peggy's One-Shot, is now "out there in the Marvel Universe, so they can use it again if they want." Whatever that means.

23. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

This is honestly the first time I've been hyped about one of their one-shots. Peggy is my favorite female character in the MCU thus far, so it sucks that she's the only one with definite limited prospects in the movies. This short is more than I thought we'd ever get, so that's something.

24. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

Have you guys read the front site news on Agent Carter? I'm very encouraged by this part of the story:

I hope we'll get a TV show based on Peggy Carter for real in the future. :up:

25. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Same. The one-shots have seemed relatively pointless in the past. This is the first one to actually get me amped up.