HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Damon Lindelof

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by jokesonm3, Oct 1, 2015.

1. jokesonm3

jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

2. jokesonm3

jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

Full article here:

I've always wanted to see Snyder's take on a TV series if this becomes real.

3. Reek

Reek _____

wow Snyder doing a TV series? HBO must be making some serious bank these days giving some shows their budgets and landing directors.

4. John Locke

John Locke One is Dark One is Light

Snyder making a Watchmen series with HBO is actually one of my wildest dreams. :up:

5. killface

killface Well-Known Member

Charlie brooker making transmetropolitan would be mine

6. Hurm...

Hurm... Well-Known Member

If it focusses on Before Watchmen, it would be a complete waste.

7. roach

roach I am the night

wow

8. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Mr. Jackpots

Smash cut to:

Alan Moore exploding.

9. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Brillant idea. Even when the film was in released there was some discussion that a mini series would have been a better way to handle the property. Something like Penny Dreadful which is maybe eight episodes a year would be a good way to fully cover all the angles , storylines, and characters in Watchman.

Even a netflix series like Daredevil would be good as well.

10. famicommander

famicommander Well-Known Member

I've never actually read the comics and I fell asleep during the film so I'd be up for an HBO adaptation. I'm sure there's a reason Watchmen has such a great reputation and I'd like to find out why, but I don't have time for the comics and found the film boring.

11. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

BEFORE WATCHMEN has some decent material, much of which is stuff alluded to in the original novel.

Even a backstory series about Dr. Long and the background characters could be fantastic. Perhaps a story involving missing artists and scientists? One can dream. Hard not to be excited about the possibilities.

12. THUNDERSTRIKE

THUNDERSTRIKE THE SMOOTH OPERATOR...

hell, I'm all for it... anything comic-related on the small or big screen is a definite must for me if it's done right and done well...

13. Slushy

Slushy Well-Known Member

Pink alien squid or bust!

14. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Please for the love of God, let this be the comic. Not Before Watchmen. ****ing waste. And I don't want Snyder directing.

This is too good to be true. But this is something that I can get on board for, regardless of how long it's been since the movie. There's still a Watchmen people don't really understand. It's more than just saying exact lines and copying panels from the comic to convey what Watchmen is about.

15. Lord

Lord All Mighty

It could be Before and Watchmen, would give them years of stories.

16. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

My thoughts exactly.

17. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Not exciting for me.

18. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

I don't see how this can be anything but an adaptation of "Before Watchmen". I never got around to reading those, but I can't see them just re-adapting the original story when the 2009 film is acceptable on its own. I can also see them trying to round up as much of the cast from the film as possible. Shouldn't be too hard, since none of them really launched to superstardom since then. I can't lie, I would love to see Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach again.

By the way, Alan Moore is having a brain aneurism right now.

19. Steyin

Steyin Bidding you ADIEU!

This.

20. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

I really hope it's not a "Before Watchmen" adaptation. Not that that series was terrible but The Watchmen is an Alan Moore property period.

A TV series adaptation of the original book might seem redundant after the movie but they could probably delve deeper into the supplement material the book had.

Also am I the only person who thinks The Watchmen might have come out at the wrong time to have been more successful? I wonder if it had been released in a post-Avengers world the public would have been more receptive?

21. John Locke

John Locke One is Dark One is Light

I do agree it would have been better received now than it was back then. It needs to be Watchmen and not the prequel. Doing the graphic novel with chapters as episodes and with the mutant squid while retaining Snyder's direction would be perfect.

22. slimshady247

slimshady247 Honorary Ape

Yeah, I'd like an adaptation that actually has some vision behind it, not the "this has literally everything from the comic, including the comic within the comic" nonsense that Snyder tried to pull with the 2009 film.

I've already read Watchmen the graphic novel. I want to see something unique to television/film that retains its spirit.

Things like Hannibal and Sherlock have accomplished this. This could, too, with the right talent behind it (i.e. not Snyder).

23. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

It's forgivable to not have everything from the comic. I think Snyder and co. were too worried about pissing off the fanbase to deviate. Six years later it's still a movie that people don't really feel different about. Part of because the film wouldn't take its own chances. Watchmen is one of the greatest comics of all time sure, but don't put it on some sacred pedestal which they seemed to. It's a story like any other and can be adapted like any other. Now that we know more of that, we can do that. I just find it ridiculous. If Snyder could replace the giant squid the man could have made other significant changes to fit the vision of a movie. It can be done here too. But it has to start from a fundamental understanding of this world, its characters and its themes. Then go from there and field out what can stay and go.

This time we can get a consistently excellent cast. Oh, God, we'll actually get a good Laurie and Ozymandias. I'd nominate Colin Farrell as The Comedian.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  24. slimshady247

slimshady247 Honorary Ape

It's sad because the ending is the one thing he changed and it didn't work either.

Don't understand the people who say it's better than the original ending considering that Dr. Manhattan is essentially an American creation, rendering the film ending nonsensical in its logic of replacing the squid with him.

Wars have been started between countries over smaller things. Dr. Manhattan would not be a uniting factor for all countries. Indeed, realistically, that sort of thing would probably cause other countries to turn against the US since it's, in some sense or another, their responsibility/their super-weapon gone rogue.

25. Jason Kane

Jason Kane Well-Known Member

It'll be in development hell permanently. Let's not act like the current HBO regime are akin to the days when Spawn was on the air.

Less we forget, they passed on Preacher way before AMC picked up the ball.