Watchmen HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Damon Lindelof

From MTV February 3, 2010:
''300’ And 'Watchmen' Sequels? Zack Snyder Explains What Would Bring Him Back (If Anything)
Brian Warmoth said:
“I know that I wouldn’t have anything to do with it,” he said of a “Watchmen 2.”

In his response, Snyder described a divide between his attitudes and those of major Hollywood studios in dealing with comics and graphic novel adaptations, which he said still do not receive the same level of respect as prose novels.

“It would be like me going to [‘No Country for Old Men’ author] Cormac McCarthy and going, ‘I have an idea for a movie: You write a book and I’ll write a movie, and you can release it. You’ll win a Pulitzer, I’ll win an Oscar. It’ll be awesome,’” the director elaborated. “The attitude toward comic books, they show their hand a little bit. They would never say that about a real novelist, but they would about a comic book.”

In fact, Snyder hopes that “Watchmen” will be the film that changes that dynamic, as he puts it, by giving “geek culture a little bit of cred.”

HBO Confirms Initial Talks for Watchmen Series

HBO confirmed to Deadline that they have had at least early talks about a Watchmen series after yesterday's reports. Their statement was short and sweet, and full of caution.

"Preliminary discussions regarding Watchmen have occurred, but we have no additional information and no deals are in place."

So, it is a thing, it is a thing at HBO, but it's not a thing yet, basically.

The initial report was that Zack Snyder, who directed the Watchmen movie released in 2009, was in discussions with HBO about adapting the comic book again, this time as a series. No details have been discovered about just how that would be done, whether it's adapting the prequel series that were released by DC Comics a few years ago, or doing original stories set in that universe. If HBO's statement is to be believed, maybe they haven't figured that out just yet either.

After Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is released next spring, he has the two-part Justice League epic to put together, which all of WB/DC Entertainment's other films will revolve around. So chance are, he's not going to be heavily involved in a TV series anytime soon.

http://comicbook.com/2015/10/02/hbo-confirms-initial-talks-for-watchmen-series/

Well ****. It doesn't sound like serious talks. Sounds like more HBO executives in a meeting spit balling ideas of what to do for shows and Watchmen may have caught on more or Snyder contacting HBO about it and them discussing the possibilities, weighing it as part of their options and such.

I do too. I REALLY want this to happen. Sometimes I get aggravated when people just say, "It'd have been better as a mini series on HBO" because the film fails, but Watchmen deserves the star treatment no matter the medium. Plus, with GOT, HBO can pull off some of the more complex things. If you wanna ask me where you put HBO's budget that's more worthwhile, a mini series of Watchmen could be better than a season of Game of Thrones, the rate that show is going.

If any book that's already had a film made should get a show on HBO it should be World War Z as that film was nothing like the book.

A show adaptation of Watchmen would be tricky as the film was arguably faithful to a fault to the book.

I just want a potential miniseries adaptation to mix things up a bit. Doing the story in the exact same way a third time would be obnoxious.

I enjoyed the film very much. What gives me hope for this is that it is HBO, so at least a decent effort will be made. :)

I watched the movie a couple weeks ago on FX. It is decent. Honestly though, if it is going to remade as a TV series, I have two thoughts:

1) Don't use Snyder. he has told the story. He did a fairly admirable job. But what can he really do that is different? Its not like he cut a bunch of crucial stuff out. He did a fairly direct adaptation, save the ending. Why do it again? It just feels redundant. Let's see another filmmaker's take on the material.

2) Do it as a mini-series with 5-8 hour long episodes. That is really all that is needed. There is not enough source material to stretch this into a multi-season Game of Thrones type of show unless they adapt the awful Before Watchmen series (and who would want to watch that?). I think HBO realizes this and that is why, as Doctor Jones pointed out, it seems like HBO is really only dipping their toes in the water with this. I think HBO is looking for a superhero show that fits the tone of their network; basically a superhero Game of Thrones. It is a smart move. They have the money to pull it off. They have the credibility to pull it off. And superheroes are a hot commodity these days. Watchmen would be perfect for this, both in terms of complexity of story and tone of story. But there isn't enough material to stretch it out very long. HBO probably wants something that is sustainable for years. I personally think an original project might be the best route, if that is what they are going for.

Even after the film, I always wanted a full mini-series Watchmen. If HBO is looking to get a full series with multiple seasons though, I need a Y: The Last Man show.

Bumping this for one reason. I re-watched the movie today. There is a very obvious prequel suggested: Nite Owl and Rorschach.

1. Dan and Rorschach never show their faces in the flashbacks meaning new actors can be cast. Most we see of Dan is his eyes and mouth.

2. We do not see Hollis Mason between the 40s and 80s meaning a new actor can play middle aged Hollis

3. The friendship between Dan and Rorschach is a key part of the film but we have no context for it. We are told they used to team up, Dan complied with the law and Rorschach didn't. Dan is the only person on earth Rorschach seems to like and respect. Its a fun play on opposites, Dan is a leftie, Rorchach is right wing. Dan is a much more traditional super-hero and has a body count of 0 in the film (Silk Spectre does the killing in the alley, Dan just breaks bones), how does he deal with Rorschach's killing ethic? Rorschach is clearly sentimental to Dan, he checks on him first and when he doesn't suit up Rorschach is depressed and continues to be for a while.

4. It can incorporate the Twilight Lady bit the movie dropped because of its lack of context. And will give more meaning as to why Zack pans up Silk Spectre's latex stiletto thigh high books when she and Nite Owl are getting it on.

Its the one angle that could inform the movie. Of course this is because the characters are based on Blue Beetle and The Question who had years of comics behind them where they teamed up.

You know the more I think about it, just let it die. Especially if Snyder is involved in any way.

Bumping this for one reason. I re-watched the movie today. There is a very obvious prequel suggested: Nite Owl and Rorschach.

1. Dan and Rorschach never show their faces in the flashbacks meaning new actors can be cast. Most we see of Dan is his eyes and mouth.

2. We do not see Hollis Mason between the 40s and 80s meaning a new actor can play middle aged Hollis

3. The friendship between Dan and Rorschach is a key part of the film but we have no context for it. We are told they used to team up, Dan complied with the law and Rorschach didn't. Dan is the only person on earth Rorschach seems to like and respect. Its a fun play on opposites, Dan is a leftie, Rorchach is right wing. Dan is a much more traditional super-hero and has a body count of 0 in the film (Silk Spectre does the killing in the alley, Dan just breaks bones), how does he deal with Rorschach's killing ethic? Rorschach is clearly sentimental to Dan, he checks on him first and when he doesn't suit up Rorschach is depressed and continues to be for a while.

4. It can incorporate the Twilight Lady bit the movie dropped because of its lack of context. And will give more meaning as to why Zack pans up Silk Spectre's latex stiletto thigh high books when she and Nite Owl are getting it on.

Its the one angle that could inform the movie. Of course this is because the characters are based on Blue Beetle and The Question who had years of comics behind them where they teamed up.

The problem with a prequel series is that the audience knows everything. There is no real sense of suspense or stakes because you know who is going to live, who is going to die, and what the general flow of events will be. That is why I hate the idea of a Game of Thrones prequel based on Robert's Rebellion. Half the fun of Game of Thrones is the suspense and uncertainty. You lose that with a prequel. Watchmen would be no different. I agree with Doctor Jones. Just let it die. If HBO wants to jump into the superhero game, try an original property.

Or a lesser known comic property with a lot of potential *coughGrantMorrison'sDoomPatrolcough*

The problem with a prequel series is that the audience knows everything. There is no real sense of suspense or stakes because you know who is going to live, who is going to die, and what the general flow of events will be. That is why I hate the idea of a Game of Thrones prequel based on Robert's Rebellion. Half the fun of Game of Thrones is the suspense and uncertainty. You lose that with a prequel. Watchmen would be no different. I agree with Doctor Jones. Just let it die. If HBO wants to jump into the superhero game, try an original property.

I disagree on the GOT PREQUEL because you have so many people who are just fans from the show that have never read the books and those details aren't as well known. There are battles and character dramas that were just mentioned in passing that could be explored a massive well of storytelling.

I disagree on the GOT PREQUEL because you have so many people who are just fans from the show that have never read the books and those details aren't as well known. There are battles and character dramas that were just mentioned in passing that could be explored a massive well of storytelling.

Maybe so, but even with minor characters, we know who the principals of such a story are: Ned Stark, Lyanna Stark, and their families, John Arryn, Robert Baratheon and his family, the Mad King, Jamie, Rhaegar, Arthur Dayne, etc. Of the major players, even the most casual of fans know who lives, who dies, the general outcome, etc for all MAJOR participants. Its just hard to invest in something like that than it is a fresh story.

I think if HBO becomes set on carrying on Game of Thrones after the main show ends, a smarter move would be The Tales of Dunk and Egg. It is far removed enough and that period of "history" is vague enough that the writers can do just about anything they want with it. And while the fates of the two main characters are sealed, these characters are merely audiences eyes to the the whole new world the writers could create and therefore could do whatever they want in that context.

Or a lesser known comic property with a lot of potential *coughGrantMorrison'sDoomPatrolcough*

:up:

Hell, let's get Sandman while we're at it. Or just do Justice League Dark as a 10 to 12 with Del Toro executive producing.

I agree completely. I've said the same thing before about a GOT prequel. I've even struggled with Better Call Saul, which is mostly pretty well-written, because knowing what's going to happen to the main characters sucks a lot of tension out of scenes.

I agree completely. I've said the same thing before about a GOT prequel. I've even struggled with Better Call Saul, which is mostly pretty well-written, because knowing what's going to happen to the main characters sucks a lot of tension out of scenes.

I think with Saul, it works, for two reasons:

1) The only character we know the absolute final fate of is Mike (and a few of the minor characters related to his cartel dealings)

2) We don't know how long this show will remain a prequel. The producers have certainly hinted that there is going to be some overlap with Breaking Bad (during which, we never really saw the effect that those events had on Saul, aside from brief glimpses...a season devoted to Breaking Bad from his perspective would be amazing). They have also hinted that the show will eventually delve into sequel territory. So Saul's fate is largely unresolved and his character is vague enough to really flesh out.

Plus Saul and Jimmy are two different characters/people I would say. Seeing Jimmy McGill play out is pretty exciting.

I think with Saul, it works, for two reasons:

1) The only character we know the absolute final fate of is Mike (and a few of the minor characters related to his cartel dealings)

The problem is that a lot of the supposedly tense scenes revolve around Mike, and the only person in his life whose fate is uncertain is Nacho. We already know that Hector, the cousins, and Tuco will make it to BrBa.

The writers tried to build tension around Jimmy but I found myself not really caring if he kept a job he clearly never wanted in the first place.

:up:

Hell, let's get Sandman while we're at it. Or just do Justice League Dark as a 10 to 12 with Del Toro executive producing.

Sandman is one of those things where I don't think you could adapt for either film or television. Television makes more sense but it would be too expensive and a film wouldn't be enough to cover it. Though I know Elliot and Rossio wrote a draft of a screenplay that Gaiman really liked. But it's just one of those things where you could just leave it be and let it exist in the medium it was suited for. Not dissimilar to how Moore writes his stuff.

As someone who is a LOST die-hard, a Lindelof defender, and is currently binge watching/fully getting my life from The Leftovers, this pleases me.

I always said Watchmen would be better served as an HBO limited series than a movie, but I couldn't get excited about it with Snyder involved. Still a little wary of Lindelof, but this gives me hope. If it's successful, maybe HBO will be more open to other DC/Vertigo projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"