Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

Also this is why the MCU works. Just because Eternals isn’t widely loved and doesn’t make much, it makes no difference to the grand plan and everything continues to release as normal. Just because they get the rights to F4 and X-Men, there’s no need to rush them in as they are confident in the plan they had in place prior to getting the rights.

Yep. And its not like Marvel Studios goes "Nope, nothing wrong, no change here", they do actually learn and adjust. Just take a look at Thor Ragnarok after The Dark World fizzled. However, they have both the confidence to not panic, and the release schedule where there is room to maneuver. A setback is a setback, not a disaster that requires scrapping the whole plan.

Yep. And its not like Marvel Studios goes "Nope, nothing wrong, no change here", they do actually learn and adjust. Just take a look at Thor Ragnarok after The Dark World fizzled. However, they have both the confidence to not panic, and the release schedule where there is room to maneuver. A setback is a setback, not a disaster that requires scrapping the whole plan.
Yeah, the main difference between Marvel and DC at the moment is not better creators and actors, it's better management.

I don’t want a direct Eternals sequel but wouldn’t mind seeing them interact with other heroes

This. Hopefully if they do make a second Eternals movie, its a Ragnarok style revamp. Not a reboot, but a complete creative direction adjustment, with different sensibilities. Though the fact that they've culled the main cast heavily wouldn't hurt, given that "too many name characters" was one of the big problems with the first IMO.

Sony made the same mistake when releasing ASM2 and announcing we would get a new Spider-Man related movie every 2 years. It’s ridiculous.
And they still haven't learned since the e-mail leak days of wanting to start their own 'Spider-Man' cinematic universe.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion here, but I genuinely hope they learn from Love and Thunder's reception. To me, that's so far been the worst example of the MCU overusing comedy to the point of obnoxiousness and ruining any potentially serious moments.

I think I would be okay with a straight up MCU comedy. Haven’t seen L&T yet, will probably wait for the Disney+ release.

This. Hopefully if they do make a second Eternals movie, its a Ragnarok style revamp. Not a reboot, but a complete creative direction adjustment, with different sensibilities. Though the fact that they've culled the main cast heavily wouldn't hurt, given that "too many name characters" was one of the big problems with the first IMO.
The first film felt like a convoluted intro (despite me liking it), and now that the team is together we can get the Act 2 main course. Not sure if a significant revamp is required but focus rather than jumping about would help this time.

I doubt there will be a major revamp if the director is returning

The first film felt like a convoluted intro (despite me liking it), and now that the team is together we can get the Act 2 main course. Not sure if a significant revamp is required but focus rather than jumping about would help this time.

I actually think the set-up they have for the sequel is a good one. With the Eternals needing to seek out their friends that Arishem took presumably to wherever the Celestials reside.

It would help if I remember any of the character’s names lol

I think it's a lot easier to say look what Marvel/MCU did after it's succeeded. If Avengers tanked, maybe even Dark World wouldn't have grossed as much as it did.

I'm not saying what WB did was right though. They should have had a breath in between BvS and JL. They probably shouldn't have been quick despite the quality of a movie of doing Batman, no Superman sequel but most of all no one has been there since 2013 to provide any type of oversight.

no company can make its 100 or 200 million budgets back like this.

They should do PVOD at day 46 while still in theaters. It hasn’t hurt the box office for Universal movies and the studio probably takes a bigger cut from digital rental/sales than at the box office.

I think judging each movie separately is the best way to go. Some keep on making money after months and some stop making money after a few weeks. They should wait and see how a film is performing in the box office before deciding anything. Not that I would mind a return to the good ol' 90-day window wait. It's just the 45-day window by default that is dumb.

The results of the future plan remain to be seen and there is good reason to be skeptical of those results, but there's a lot of foresight to these current choices. They're cutting out all the fat. HBO Max was a very reactionary under Kilar. Banking on streaming for the sake of growth only is unsustainable. Streaming is a piece of the pie, not the whole. If this summer has shown us, the biggest profits are in these large event movies. I think a lot of these companies are going to look like fools in time and when we look back, this era will show its age. It reminds me of the .com boom. Streaming is a bubble that is looking like it could burst.

I think the future will be the furthering of the event movie model, and streaming will be a combo of tv shows and consistent quality smaller and mid budget movies that will make a comeback. Kind of akin to the New Hollywood era of filmmaking. I still think this whole "Golden Age of TV" has been over for years and this reactionary tv culture of the "Content Era" combined with streaming is going to be outdated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"