Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

Theaters aren't going to lower prices. Especially significantly. That just not going to happen.
And even then that's not a guarantee.'

There's nothing that can really be done about theaters especially when a fair amount of audience members don't care about "the big screen" and watch their movies on 30" monitors, laptops, and even phones at home. And a lot of people enjoy the convenience of just watching something at home instead of trekking to a theater, paying for themselves or their whole family, maybe getting snacks, and maybe parking

I have a theater that is the budget theater. Yeah, it doesn't have the fanciest set up, but when you are looking at $6 for an evening ticket, all the way down to the early bird of $2.50, it seems to do decent business. And the other, fancier, more expensive theaters still do good business in the area as well. But then, I've notice that my theater has enough competition to keep tickets reasonable, not really going over $12.

I love budget theaters. I wish my area had one. You may get the movies late but it’s at a great price. I remember going to one last year, I think I saw John Wick 3 a few months after it actually came out, and the cost of the movie, popcorn, and soda was the price of a single ticket at one of the main theaters like AMC or Regal.

Seems weird this is supposed to be launching next month and we still don't have a date.

This makes sense, as HBO Max is severely lacking New content to draw in viewers, especially considering the programs that it's competition (Disney+) is offering.
I don't really consider them competitors considering the price point and range of content. HBO Max is essentially trying to be Netflix, but with far superior content. It will have pretty much everything on there. Disney + is more of a supplementary service built around 5 brands, with it's core audience being kids The demos and price point makes it a less likely toss-up then the decision over other streamers. The minute this hits I'm dropping Netflix.

This makes sense, as HBO Max is severely lacking New content to draw in viewers, especially considering the programs that it's competition (Disney+) is offering.

Just because you keep saying that, doesn’t make it true. HBO Max is literally launching with 8x the original content Disney Plus did, and will be releasing new original content every month, unlike Disney +. Not to mention they’ll have all the DC movies, shows, and animation plus Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbera (Scooby, Flinstones, Jetsons) Cartoon Network (Courage, Dexter, Power Puff Girls, Ed Ed Eddy...etc), Sesame Street, South Park, popular tv shows (Friends, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Westworld, Dr Who, Pretty Little Liars...etc), Crunchyroll (anime!), classic WB movies (Matrix Trilogy, Lord of the Rings trioligy, Hobbit Trilogy, all DC films, Lego eventually the Harry Potter films...etc), Studio Ghibli...etc.

Basically it’s the real competition to Netflix! What exactly is Disney Plus offering? Beyond Marvel, everything else worth noting seems to be getting cancelled or moved to Hulu or something.

Typical. Probably up in the air due to Sky Atlantic or something to do with Sky.

HBO has renewed its deal with Sky in European territories including the UK, and has extended it in order to include HBO Max originals, as well.

So, Sky is going to be the European home for the HBO Max content in the following years.

HBO has renewed its deal with Sky in European territories including the UK, and has extended it in order to include HBO Max originals, as well.

So, Sky is going to be the European home for the HBO Max content in the following years.

Yeah, thought it would be. Oh well. Guess I'll have to find other ways to watch the original content.

Ridley Scott's series Raised By Wolves is the only thing I'm interested in anyway.

Just because you keep saying that, doesn’t make it true. HBO Max is literally launching with 8x the original content Disney Plus did, and will be releasing new original content every month, unlike Disney +. Not to mention they’ll have all the DC movies, shows, and animation plus Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbera (Scooby, Flinstones, Jetsons) Cartoon Network (Courage, Dexter, Power Puff Girls, Ed Ed Eddy...etc), Sesame Street, South Park, popular tv shows (Friends, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Westworld, Dr Who, Pretty Little Liars...etc), Crunchyroll (anime!), classic WB movies (Matrix Trilogy, Lord of the Rings trioligy, Hobbit Trilogy, all DC films, Lego eventually the Harry Potter films...etc), Studio Ghibli...etc.

Basically it’s the real competition to Netflix! What exactly is Disney Plus offering? Beyond Marvel, everything else worth noting seems to be getting cancelled or moved to Hulu or something.
I have Disney+. I get new original content every month. Not saying it's all great, but it is there. Also it launched with this:

EkAFYPC.gif

Do HBO MAX have a Mando at launch? Do they the Marvel shows coming down the pipeline?

You mention what does Disney Plus offer. They offer everything Disney has, plus all 21st Century Fox material PG-13 and under. To claim they only have Marvel would be all time wrong. Especially as you are naming Pretty Little Liars and the Jetsons, and are just ignoring how big a deal stuff like Disney and Pixar animation are. Disney isn't the empire it is by accident. It's Disney. They own the most profitable IPs in the world. Do you really think everything you just listed is more popular then Disney's animated library? Also the price point doesn't hurt.

Disney Plus surpasses 50 million subscribers

The way I see it, if you're already an HBO subscriber like myself, this service is a win-win. You literally pay no extra and are about to get access a ton more content.

source.gif
Exactly. And I am very happy to have it. Especially with a way to stream the last two seasons of DW (I am not buying those on blu ray until I can get them for WB blu rays on Black Friday prices) and Doom Patrol season 2! When ever I finally get it... :(

Would I get it otherwise? Nah, not at that price point. Not right now. But thankfully I don't have to. :D

Exactly. And I am very happy to have it. Especially with a way to stream the last two seasons of DW (I am not buying those on blu ray until I can get them for WB blu rays on Black Friday prices) and Doom Patrol season 2! When ever I finally get it... :(

Would I get it otherwise? Nah, not at that price point. Not right now. But thankfully I don't have to. :D
What's DW?

Ah, I didn't even know that would be on it, lol.

For me personally, WB has my favorite back catalogue of any studio, so I can't wait to dive in and just see what's there. While I'm happy to have access to other services thanks to relatives, if all I could have access to were this and Disney+/Hulu, I'd be set for ages.

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't even know that would be on it, lol.

For me personally, WB has my favorite back catalogue of any studio, so I can't wait to dive in and just see what's there. While I'm happy to have access to other services thanks to relatives, if all I could have access to were this and Disney+/Hulu, I'd be set for ages.
I would still need my Netflix because they have a lot of shows I do really enjoy and... well most of my thirst watching is there. But yep, the Disney and HBO have a big advantage in the catalog department. Which makes their future potential projects even more exciting imo.

I enjoy plenty of Netflix shows in a "diverting but forgettable" kind of way, but there are only 2 or 3 still going that I consider essential viewing. Most I'd be absolutely fine living without. I find that I go months without opening Netflix in between seasons of those shows, which is why I cancelled it in the first place (I now use my Dad's). Now, I'm currently using it more during quarantine just because I'm desperate for content and more open to watching mindless trash (hence my giving in and watching Tiger King), but if HBO Max were already here, I'd definitely be on that instead.

It wasn't until the date news that I learned that apparently the back catalog for HBO Max is not included in the deal it has up here, which is... disappointing. Instead it only covers original content and the pre-existing deal for HBO stuff. Which would be fine if they would get around to making a PS4 app. :argh:

It wasn't until the date news that I learned that apparently the back catalog for HBO Max is not included in the deal it has up here, which is... disappointing. Instead it only covers original content and the pre-existing deal for HBO stuff. Which would be fine if they would get around to making a PS4 app. :argh:
So it's basically another US-only thing for the time being? That sucks. You would think if anyone could get their legal s*** together for a global streaming launch, it would be the biggest (global) studios in the world, but both Disney and WB dropped the ball there, I guess.

*sigh* I remember the days of waiting for a PS4 app for things I wanted to watch. I eventually just caved and got a Roku, lol.

Fine HBO, I'll watch your new stupid stuff. Also, a reminder. I deplore thirst watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"