Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

My goal is to get through the Harry Potter series and Dirty Harry series this month. I think Harry Potter will stay through, at the very least, October on HBO Max
Does HBO Max lose older properties like Harry Potter? I was hoping they would be on there for good. Don’t really know how it works as we don’t have the app here yet. :dry::csad:

The big problem is that WB made a very, very big deal with NBC Universal for the broadcast rights before HBO Max was a thing. The reason why the movies are there right now are presumeably because WB is paying NBC for temporary rights for them.

They will eventually be there permanently, you just have to wait for the contracts to expire.

The big problem is that WB made a very, very big deal with NBC Universal for the broadcast rights before HBO Max was a thing. The reason why the movies are there right now are presumeably because WB is paying NBC for temporary rights for them.

They will eventually be there permanently, you just have to wait for the contracts to expire.
It's interesting as to why there'd be a bidding war for them in the first place. All of the HP films have been out for at least a decade at this point so you'd figure that anyone who wanted to see them already owns them and if anyone hasn't seen them yet it's unlikely that they'd start now. It's also not something like The Office or Friends where it's an extremely popular show that people will stream in the background or binge for hours on end.

I’m in the camp that hasn’t seen any of the HP films yet. But I’m also not going to go out of my own way to subscribe to a new streaming service just to watch them. I’m not subscribed to Peacock (premium) so I couldn’t watch them there. I was going to start back in June when they were on HBO Max but I was too late and they disappeared in July. Hopefully they stay on HBO Max for more than a month this time around.

All of the HP films have been out for at least a decade at this point so you'd figure that anyone who wanted to see them already owns them and if anyone hasn't seen them yet it's unlikely that they'd start now.

Well, I haven't seen them and certainly don't own them, but would watch if they stay on HBO Max as well. Never read the books and wasn't interested enough to catch them in theaters when they came out, but curious enough to "binge" them across a couple weeks.

Got an email from Amazon HBOMax is leaving as prime channel. Oh well

I am curious how much of an issue them leaving Prime will be. I am sure most will migrate, but will it be enough to make it worth it? Apparently they had 5 million through the service.

Yeah that was me. I wonder if you weren’t impacted by Amazon if you can still cancel and sign up for the cheaper price

Man I REALLY was looking forward to Cry Macho because I love Eastwood and he is STILL at his age a charismatic presence but guys this movie is ROUGH all over. The script feels like it was written by an amateur teenager, the dialogue is cringey, the film meanders aimlessly and poor Eastwood completely miscast himself and feels out of place. I was hoping this was gonna be like The Mule which i loved but this is a yet another WB misfire for this year.

I’m in the camp that hasn’t seen any of the HP films yet. But I’m also not going to go out of my own way to subscribe to a new streaming service just to watch them. I’m not subscribed to Peacock (premium) so I couldn’t watch them there. I was going to start back in June when they were on HBO Max but I was too late and they disappeared in July. Hopefully they stay on HBO Max for more than a month this time around.

Out of curiosity, I just tuned into Max and see all the HP movies on it. I started up Goblet of Fire just to see whether or not they were screwing with me.

Oh, makes sense. Thanks.

It's interesting as to why there'd be a bidding war for them in the first place. All of the HP films have been out for at least a decade at this point so you'd figure that anyone who wanted to see them already owns them and if anyone hasn't seen them yet it's unlikely that they'd start now. It's also not something like The Office or Friends where it's an extremely popular show that people will stream in the background or binge for hours on end.
I wouldn’t call myself a HP fan specifically but it’s the kind of series I would like available digitally whenever/wherever. Probably got more rewatch value than many other franchises.

I wouldn’t call myself a HP fan specifically but it’s the kind of series I would like available digitally whenever/wherever. Probably got more rewatch value than many other franchises.
Agree. The other cool thing is that you can pretty much watch them individually. In any case, they seem to be available on Max at this point so if people want to watch them and have it, they can.

The best Nightmare on Elm St movie, Dream Warriors, is finally available. It was weird how they had every one except that one for the longest time.

Discovered the show "The Other Two" which just came to HBO Max, picked up from another network.

I may be alone, but I find the show to be pretty hilarious.

Discovered the show "The Other Two" which just came to HBO Max, picked up from another network.

I may be alone, but I find the show to be pretty hilarious.

The Other Two is amazing. I was glad that HBO Max picked it up when it seemed uncertain what Comedy Central would do with it, but I'm glad it lives on here. Plus, with it being on a streaming platform, they don't have to censor F-bombs anymore.

Man I REALLY was looking forward to Cry Macho because I love Eastwood and he is STILL at his age a charismatic presence but guys this movie is ROUGH all over. The script feels like it was written by an amateur teenager, the dialogue is cringey, the film meanders aimlessly and poor Eastwood completely miscast himself and feels out of place. I was hoping this was gonna be like The Mule which i loved but this is a yet another WB misfire for this year.
I honestly couldn’t make it through the trailer. It looked like an Eastwood parody to me (the title didn’t help in that regard).

Everybody should check out Copshop whenever it hits one of these services, though. It got released in theaters the same week as Cry Macho, but while I haven’t seen the latter, I’d still bet good money Copshop’s far more deserving of your time.

I’ve been going through the older Clint Eastwood movies (right now watching the Dirty Harry series and will be watching the Man with No Name trilogy) and couldn’t help but notice how much Hugh Jackman resembles a young Clint. Just something that stuck out to me.

oh and Cry Macho was pretty bad. It physically hurt me to watch a 90 year old Clint Eastwood walking around. I thought he was going to fall down every time he was walking.

Wasn't the script for Cry Macho written in like the 70s and been in development bad place since? Often when these long in development projects happen, they are trash. See The Little Things or Alexander. So am I shocked this movie sucks? Nope. Sounds about right

I’ve been going through the older Clint Eastwood movies (right now watching the Dirty Harry series and will be watching the Man with No Name trilogy) and couldn’t help but notice how much Hugh Jackman resembles a young Clint. Just something that stuck out to me.

oh and Cry Macho was pretty bad. It physically hurt me to watch a 90 year old Clint Eastwood walking around. I thought he was going to fall down every time he was walking.
I haven't seen Cry Macho yet, but I just watched the Man with No Name/Dollars trilogy on HBO Max. They are indeed good films, especially The Good, the Bad and the Ugly but the only downside is the at times atrocious dubbing job on them since the majority of the actors in them are speaking Italian.

Cry Macho was average imo but I give Clint credit for still making movies in his 90’s. Has anyone ever done that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"