HBO's The Righteous Gemstones

Man in the Suit

We're the Ones Who Live
Reaction score
HBO Orders Televangelist Comedy Pilot Starring Danny McBride, John Goodman
HBO has given a pilot order to a half-hour comedy that hails from creator Danny McBride.

The project is titled “The Righteous Gemstones.” It is the story of the world famous Gemstone televangelist family, which has a long tradition of deviance, greed, and charitable work, all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

John Goodman will star as Eli Gemstone, the patriarch of the Gemstone family. The character is described as unbending and a force in the Ministry game. He’s known the world over for his aggressive salvation techniques, his worldwide ministries, and his award winning weekly television program. His light is fading, but he takes no guff. He is obeyed, unquestioned.

In addition to writing, directing, and executive producing, McBride will also star as Jesse Gemstone, the eldest son and “heir to the throne.” He walks in his father’s shadow while simultaneously blazing his own path. Like Eli, Jesse demands loyalty from those in his circle, and surrounds himself by those that will follow him. Jesse fancies himself a maverick in the ministry game, taking what Eli has built and expanding it for a more modern audience.

Jody Hill and David Gordon Green will also executive produce alongside McBride.

I still haven't seen Vice Principals but I loved the bad place out of Eastbound and Down, so I'm in. But honestly, even if it wasn't the same creative team behind the scenes, they had me at Goodman and McBride.

The pilot has wrapped.

gu8uWUH.jpg

Last edited:
Idgaf if this is a whole new thing, I want more Lee Russell. :o

That photo deserves an Emmy award.

Yep I will also be watching. I mean how can you go wrong with the creators of Vice Principals along with talent of Goodman, McBride and Goggins.

Solid premiere so far and fun start with the baptism in China.

Between Danny McBride, Edi Patterson, and eventually Walton Goggins, it's one giant Vice Principals reunion.

It's nice seeing Cassidy Freeman again.

Oh god, I lost it at the exchange...

I am going to love seeing Eli in the past.

Danny McBride has another great show. I'm glad Jody Hill has a small role. The exchange made me guffaw.

Really enjoyed the misadventures of the would-be Devil masks crew- I don't remember their names. I think one of them was 'Scotty?'- and how quickly their plans fell apart.

"Stop blowing on them coins!" :lmao:

I thought Lucy looked familiar... Virginia Gardner played Vicky in David Gordon Green's Halloween.

I finally got around to watching the first two episodes and yeah this show is pretty hilarious so far. The interactions between the family and the side characters like Keith and McBride's group are comedic gold not to mention the stuff with the masked crew is pretty damn funny as well.

I also was not expecting that twist at the end of episode 2, but I definitely should have seen it coming.

Edi Patterson flashing the motel manager got an honest to God LOL out of me. As did:

"Guy thinks I'm old enough to be your daddy, Jesus H."
"Well you are aging horrifically."

Need Goggins episode(s) now.

Well, I do love Goggin's and Goodman's chemistry so far.

Respect to the one guy who confidently walked through the mall naked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"