HBO's THE WIRE:The Final Season.

I finished season 5 a couple of days ago. It really is the greatest TV show I have ever watched. I've even bought the book "The Corner" by David Simon & Ed Burns so i can still get my Baltimore fix.

Could just be a demographic thing.

I know this show spoke to me, strongly. Because I've seen places like this. I've lived in places like this. So, I saw nothing but truth in alot of the things being dipicted in this series.

I just wonder what it must be like, for...someone, somewhere...who thinks this show is making it all up, you know?

Aside from that, though, the storytelling is top notch. Cannot get any better in the storytelling department, and characterizations of everyone.

Were did you live?

Get ready...for the greatest TV show of all time.

You won't see the brilliance in one episode, but give it some time, it's like a badass novel.

Someone please tell me what's so good about this show. IDK, just don't like TV shows too serious and depressing, already have that in the news. Ya, lazy to google... :)

The Wire isn't too serious or depressing their is comedy and laughs in the show as well as the gritty stuff.

I was unsure about the show and then I watched the BBC run of the show over a summer and it really did live up to the hype. Its like a novel about a city with multiple storyline and characters unfolding over 5 seasons.

Ya, maybe I'll give it a try sometime. I've heard someone say it compares to American Gangster only serialized, is that a fair assessment?

Ya, maybe I'll give it a try sometime. I've heard someone say it compares to American Gangster only serialized, is that a fair assessment?

Damn, hey SHH, what's with the double posts? I've only did it once.

The brilliance of The Wire can't be seen in a single episode. It is an entity that needs to be judged as a whole. I have never known a show that was as realistic as this one. And a lot of people hate the 'realism' tag like it's a curse, but really every character in The Wire (from the bit players to the cops to the politicians) is a breathing entity. There is no black and white, everybody in The Wire lives in the gray.

After a few weeks, I've finally caught up with all 5 seasons. Personally it took a while for me to warm up to it, it wasn't until season 2 when I saw something really special in it. For anyone who watched the first season of True Detective know about the "Time is a flat circle" quote and that could very much apply it to this series.

Also, personally it's a shame Omar Little wasn't played up for something bigger in that last season, it had the wheels rolling for something bigger.

After a few weeks, I've finally caught up with all 5 seasons. Personally it took a while for me to warm up to it, it wasn't until season 2 when I saw something really special in it. For anyone who watched the first season of True Detective know about the "Time is a flat circle" quote and that could very much apply it to this series.

Also, personally it's a shame Omar Little wasn't played up for something bigger in that last season, it had the wheels rolling for something bigger.
I watched the entire series this past summer. I have to say, I now understand why everyone holds it in such high regard. It is almost perfect. Almost.

I agree about applying the "time is a flat circle" quote to The Wire (on a related note, the final minutes of the series finale are incredible). But season 2? Really? I thought that was the weakest of the show. Mainly because of the dock worker storyline. I understood where they were going with it, but it was just so boring to me, and the newspaper staff storyline in season 5 wasn't that much better either. Those are the only two gripes I have with the series. I was very relieved when season 3 focused on the Barksfield organization again and brought Marlo into play. And season 4 with the kids? That just broke my heart.

But besides my aforementioned few problems with the show, I thought it was damn near perfection. Everything from the cops, to the inner workings of the mayor's office, to the Barksdale and Stanfield crews, to Omar.

Season 2 takes awhile to get around (getting introduced to a whole bunch of new characters) but one of the reasons why I like season 2 is because that's where we also realize David Simon's willing to focus on Baltimore on whole and not just the Barksdale organization and the Baltimore PD, also what made S2 good alone is the Frank Sobotka's very tragic story and a good examination of how corruption within institutions eventually extinguish good decent individuals (in this case the blue-collar workmen), they had no voice (aka no money) so they had to turn to crime in order to bribe the politicians.

Regarding season 5, it doesn't help that McNulty had a one bizzare storyline but it's about the system more than than the characters, if you get what I'm going for, it really doesn't have any characters to drive the power and the insight on the level of the series' best, like with Sobotka or the kids in season 4, still the last two episodes really stopped it from ending on a weak note.

I watched the entire series this past summer. I have to say, I now understand why everyone holds it in such high regard. It is almost perfect. Almost.

I agree about applying the "time is a flat circle" quote to The Wire (on a related note, the final minutes of the series finale are incredible). But season 2? Really? I thought that was the weakest of the show. Mainly because of the dock worker storyline. I understood where they were going with it, but it was just so boring to me, and the newspaper staff storyline in season 5 wasn't that much better either. Those are the only two gripes I have with the series. I was very relieved when season 3 focused on the Barksfield organization again and brought Marlo into play. And season 4 with the kids? That just broke my heart.

But besides my aforementioned few problems with the show, I thought it was damn near perfection. Everything from the cops, to the inner workings of the mayor's office, to the Barksdale and Stanfield crews, to Omar.
I still get sad every time I think about Dukie. :( That just kills me right there I wish his storyline ended up better.

I binge-watched Seasons 1 & 2 a while ago and then started Season 3, but got distracted by other things in the meantime. I'm currently in the middle of Season 3 (just finished the episode where Avon gets out of prison, for reference).

Season 1 was excellent once you get used to the pace after a couple episodes, and I thought Season 2 was brilliant in its own way. Yeah, it's a completely different feel from Season 1, but the actors playing Frank, Nicky, Ziggy & The Greek's crew are so captivating that it's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. So far in Season 3, I've felt it's been the slowest to pick up any momentum to the story they want to tell.

I'll come back & post and recap once I finish Season 3, just as a different perspective from those who've watched it all so far.

The Wire marathon (in HD) is on right now.

Im not watching, but I dont get the big deal about it being in HD.
It's not going to make the show any better. It's not gonna make viewing it that more special. It's not like its a SFX driven thing where it being in HD will help it.

Now if it was in HD with extended episodes/deleted scenes. That would be something

Last edited:
I started watching the show back in August and within 2 weeks I got to the beginning of season 3. I haven't really watched the show since then because of school but now that I have time off for winter break I think I will try to finish the series. I'm also in the middle of Marco Polo and Black Mirror on Netflix.

I only watched parts of 5 and 6 and I Dukie broke my heart. :( OMG the final scene of the series made me so sad.

I still get sad every time I think about Dukie. :( That just kills me right there I wish his storyline ended up better.
this just happened. i finished the series last night. i can't get that scene out of my head.:csad:

91506d5f914cc5bca63651acee18400e6987c638.gifv

949aaa71b2ffbe6897b8833fc2f985484b27046a.gifv

I watched The Wire a few years ago and decided to revisit it for the past few months. Well, I re-felt in love with it, hard, and I'm currently more or less in my third watching in a row. So Williams and his character Omar feels really familiar these days… Very sad news.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking. I finally finished this show a few months ago (not sure why I never got around to it until recently, especially since I lived in Baltimore for a little while) and Omar was easily my favorite character. Michael K. Williams created a powerful, complex, sympathetic, badass character that will be remembered forever. RIP. You will always be the king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"