The Dark Knight Heath's Potential For an Oscar

I dunno. Just thought it was funny that local news stations are giving this movie free publicity so far off. And I'm also intrigued as to how these sentiments are hitting the mass media.

Fox 13 in Salt Lake City just ran a news story that Ledger's performance in TDK is so good he may be awarded a post humous Academy Award for his troubles. Then they played the latest trailer, but the weird thing is they did a crap editing job. They essentially played two minutes of the trailer with all the parts out of order, and the music attested to it. Anyway they quoted Chris Nolan and the recent LA Times article. This movie's getting a lot of free hype.... and still no hulk trailer.... :clown:

I believe this station has won 14 straight Pulitzers.

Oh wait, that's the Provo station.

"The word out of Tinseltown that the actor is being considered for a posthumous Oscar for his as-yet-unseen work as the Joker in The Dark Knight."

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? Whilst I'm sure he's going to be great isn't a bit silly to start suggesting he's being considered for an Oscar given the film isn't finished?

And the fact many movies that may also be considered havent even been released i see it more as fan-boy optimism then reality.

"The word out of Tinseltown that the actor is being considered for a posthumous Oscar for his as-yet-unseen work as the Joker in The Dark Knight."

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? Whilst I'm sure he's going to be great isn't a bit silly to start suggesting he's being considered for an Oscar given the film isn't finished?

The film IS finished if not for some small post production work, so there are those out there who have seen more of him in character then the likes of us belive it or not. Personally I'm all for it, not for the fact I'm just a fan of the material but I truly belive he deserves awards for what I've seen. As far as I'm concerned Nicholson never happened.

The fact that Nolan is calling it 'stunning' and 'iconic' says more to me than anything else. I'll wait till I see the movie to make my final judgment, but if he deserves it, he deserves it.

And the fact many movies that may also be considered havent even been released i see it more as fan-boy optimism then reality.

Maybe you should have read the article quoted before you gave your fanboy cinicysm. You have been warned about this trolling...take some time off.

I don't know, many critics were saying that Denzel Washington was a given for Oscar gold for "American Gangster" before and around the time of the first trailer and he didn't even get nominated (probably because the movie made money at the box office imo).

Yeah sure the film's almost finished in post-prod but isn't it hugely doubtful that screeners or whatever have been sent out? Or that anyone that isn't very, very close to Nolan/Warners would be invited to see it at this stage? It seems to me that the radio station are just picking up on comments made by Nolan or whoever and are putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5.

All they are saying is that it will be taken into consideration, just as any worthy performance will be taken into consideration. In other words, the academy will watch the film with interest and not ignore it because it is a comic adaptation.:o

I don't know, many critics were saying that Denzel Washington was a given for Oscar gold for "American Gangster" before and around the time of the first trailer and he didn't even get nominated (probably because the movie made money at the box office imo).
Or maybe because the movie and performance were both nothing too special.

Or maybe because the movie and performance were both nothing too special.

Token Oscar Guy, he'd been passed over so many times before (Malcolm X comes to mind plus Devil in a Blue Dress) = "charity Oscar!"

Yeah sure the film's almost finished in post-prod but isn't it hugely doubtful that screeners or whatever have been sent out? Or that anyone that isn't very, very close to Nolan/Warners would be invited to see it at this stage? It seems to me that the radio station are just picking up on comments made by Nolan or whoever and are putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5.
The film is not finished yet. They're almost done with editing, since they'll be doing sound-mixing for most of April.

People associated with the editing process might be spreading the word though, who knows.

Fox 13 in Salt Lake City just ran a news story that Ledger's performance in TDK is so good he may be awarded a post humous Academy Award for his troubles. Then they played the latest trailer, but the weird thing is they did a crap editing job. They essentially played two minutes of the trailer with all the parts out of order, and the music attested to it. Anyway they quoted Chris Nolan and the recent LA Times article. This movie's getting a lot of free hype.... and still no hulk trailer.... :clown:

mmmm, humous.

joker.jpg

+

Lunch_OscarStatue_325.jpg

=

Well deserved.:woot: :brucebat:

You know TDK is gonna rock when the GENERAL PUBLIC starts acting like a bunch of fanboys and hails it months before its release.

Well in my humble opinion I hope he gets an award for his role. Many people will probly like it but unfortunately that has nothing to do with who wins in these stupid award shows.

I’m completely thrilled by what I’ve seen so far. So, I can’t wait for him to thrill me some more : )

Oh, I can't wait!

An Oscar for Heath Ledger? Knight Cast Thinks So

Heath Ledger's costars from The Dark Knight, including two-time Batman Christian Bale, took turns at a press event this weekend praising and remembering the late actor's intense style. A few of them are even lobbying for a gold statue on his behalf.

"Definitely," said Aaron Eckhart, who plays doomed district attorney Harvey Dent to Ledger's droll and very creepy Joker. "Why not?"

Fellow castmember Gary Oldman was more pointed about it.

"Heath had this frequency none of us could hear," said Oldman. "The Academy tends to overlook movies like this, but this acting is so good it's going to be very hard for them to avoid it."

His other Gotham cohorts marveled at Ledger's obsession with detail:

He patched together influences ranging from A Clockwork Orange to ventriloquist dummies to Charlie Chaplin. The result: a Joker so demented and creepy he makes Nicholson's 1989 version look like Elton John in a bad mood.

"He called me during preproduction from time to time to tell me what he was working on," director Christopher Nolan recalled. "He told me he was researching the way ventriloquist dummies talk. It was a bit peculiar."

But when Nolan finally saw Heath's Joker onscreen, he got it. Ledger was trying for a vocal style that would match the Joker's chaotic character; even his pitch would be unpredictable, the same way that ventriloquists' voices would suddenly switch from low to high.

"He's raised the bar," said Bale.

If the Academy does honor Ledger for his Joker character, it would be only the second posthumous acting win ever. The first went to Peter Finch for the 1976 movie Network.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20080630/a9f515ae-9921-4f27-84cf-da6f8f9c52cd/

^^ How awesome is Heath then? The ventriloquist is genius on Heath's part. And you can see it, in the 3rd trailers when he says "You'll see...I'll show ya."

I'm geeking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"