The Dark Knight Heath's Potential For an Oscar

Hasn't anyone beek keepin' up with TDK Critic Reviews? In almost every one of them, when Heath's acting was braught up, something along the lines of "Oscar-Worthy" was mentioned. Every review praised his preformance as just amazing.
I can't see him not being nominated. I don't care about the whole "comic book movie curse." This is a mature serious film, and if movies like Lord Of The Rings, Aliens, and Pirates can get awards, I don't see why TDK can't. Besides, Heath has already been nominated once, so it won't be that out there to see him be awarded again, we already know the Academy respects him as an actor.

Found this in the metro (a free paper we get on the trains and buses in the u.k)on the train on monday

"HEATH TIPPED FOR A POSTHUMOS OSCAR
Heath Ledger could still win an Oscar after a film critic tipped the late actor to scoop the gong for his role as the Joker in the new Batman film, The Dark Knight, The Aussie who died of a drugs overdose in January aged 28, is hailed as "mad-cazy-blazing brillant" by the Rolling Stone magazine's Peter Travers. He said: "if there's a mobement to get him a posthumous Oscar, then sign me up"

People i think we know what we have to do
:D :D :D
R.I.P HEATH

I can't wait until the movie comes out to see what everyone says.

Damn, I wish I could see this movie already.

-at this point there is hardly anything else that does stand out as an oscar nominee

Almost every review even thoose without oscar talk rave about ledgers performance.

-critics dont have a huge impact on the academy, they have some, and being dead doesnt help u WIN an oscar as there has been 7 nominations and only one win.
so if he wins then you know he deserved it

AND if the damn movie gets nominated for any of the top categories (prolly wont happen but it may)
But then youl know 100% that he deserved it and everyone of this opinion that this just happening because hes dead can eat their words.

Heath winning an Oscar would be a great way to celebrate his work and once and for all kill off the whole its just a comic book movie

So I'm all for Heath winning an Oscar especially since all the critics seem to be backing him as well theres no reason he shouldn't at the least get nominated

well if you havent read the reviews then you dont know the subject well enough

Almost every review even thoose without oscar talk rave about ledgers performance.

that's redundant, so because i haven't read the reviews i don't know the subject well enough to comment, the fact I've followed every news bit, every viral every leaked image, and posts a lot on these boards shows i have enough information to post my views

i avoided reviews mainly cause the majority i read for BB basiclly ruined the entire film, i knew about the joker card before going to the film, this time i want to be surprised.

again i never said or even hinted that ledger has turned in a bad performance, from what i have seen he has nailed some aspects of the character but i'm waiting to see the entire film before i make a full judgement, all i did was enquired on peoples opinions on weather this new oscar buzz in the mainstream media would have happened is ledger had not passed.

When I see the movie for myself and his performance isn't that great to me. I'm gonna shake my head at all this oscar buzz. No disrepect to Heath but it seems like a lot of people are kissing his butt because of his death.

When I see the movie for myself and his performance isn't that great to me. I'm gonna shake my head at all this oscar buzz. No disrepect to Heath but it seems like a lot of people are kissing his butt because of his death.

If you'd read ANY of the reviews so far (other than CHUD's disgrace of a "review") you'd know that his death has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Please know what you're talking about before making baseless assumptions in the future.

that's redundant, so because i haven't read the reviews i don't know the subject well enough to comment, the fact I've followed every news bit, every viral every leaked image, and posts a lot on these boards shows i have enough information to post my views

i avoided reviews mainly cause the majority i read for BB basiclly ruined the entire film, i knew about the joker card before going to the film, this time i want to be surprised.

again i never said or even hinted that ledger has turned in a bad performance, from what i have seen he has nailed some aspects of the character but i'm waiting to see the entire film before i make a full judgement, all i did was enquired on peoples opinions on weather this new oscar buzz in the mainstream media would have happened is ledger had not passed.

You’re over analyzing my comment.
All I mean is if you haven’t read the reviews then you wouldn’t know what it is exactly that they love so much about his performance and why they believe it may be Oscar worthy. If you read all the reviews obviously you would have an idea of why they think he’s deserving of it.

-To argue with others in general
4. main points
-Nomination can arguable be pointed out to be out of sympathy but a win Cannot.
-The world isnt so influencial every critic is not gonna agree for "hyping" reasons, if they just they love ledger then okay: maybe, but they all love this movie aswell .
-The bar isnt so high ATM
-Premature Oscar talks b4 death\footage\movie and after movie have little to no effect on the academy maybe some on the critics.

I dont believe it is all coincidental that each an every critic loves the movie and rave about it and its performances is all due to sympathy and hype. So if the movie is so good, obviously the acting has to be up there. Ledgers performance is what’s making the movie so much better for most critics, but they still say they love the movie, most have rated it the best this year.

Also what else do we have this year to rave about? There are not many performances that stand out at this moment, at least none to the masses.

All this conversation is premature from us, critics everyone:
BUT! Just because fans were talking about Oscar this, that, before we saw footage and even BEFORE he died. That shouldn’t be a point for those who don’t think he’s NOT Oscar worthy to use against his him, one has nothing to do with the other. Critics rarely give their opinions to agree with the masses and at that I highly doubt they would ALL do that. Nor ALL of them doing it out of just sympathy, some may but I don’t see them raving about the ledgers performance AND the whole movie if that. There have been critics who were expecting not to like the movie a couple who didn’t like BB even said they liked it. The movie blog critic walked in not expecting to like ledger as much as others as B4hand there was alot of hype. They all came out with the same opinion that the Hype is real, it is a great movie and will meet or exceed your expectations, and 95% of the reviews main praise for the film is Ledger (thus far).

I don’t believe that this is such a coincidental world that the critics AND academy agree that his performance is Oscar worthy (IF it turns out that way), that it is all done out of sympathy. Again just a nomination can arguably point to that conclusion and a win can smash it! As there have been 7 nominees and only 1 has won.

If you'd read ANY of the reviews so far (other than CHUD's disgrace of a "review") you'd know that his death has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Please know what you're talking about before making baseless assumptions in the future.

It just so happens that after his death he's probably gonna get an oscar for his role in a comic book movie. And those types of films don't get notice by the oscars. So my argument still stands.

It just so happens that after his death he's probably gonna get an oscar for his role in a comic book movie. And those types of films don't get notice by the oscars. So my argument still stands.

Until you've read the reviews released so far, your argument has no merit as far as I'm concerned.

A few months ago, I would have bet against Heath being nominated for an Oscar, but after reading the reviews....

Well let me put it this way, Since I've started actually paying attention to critic reviews I have never seen so many critics unanimously praising a movie that wasn't the typical uber dark indie type of film that critics love. It really stunned me, because usually if a movie's good you get a lot a critics complementing it, with a few giving it "meh" reviews. Basically all the reviews I've read have absolutely praised TDK to no end and almost all have mentioned Ledger and Oscar worthy in the same sentace.

The only review I read that could be counted as a "bad" review is one where the reviewer said it was very good, but not amazing. (of course, this reviewer had also stated that Fantastic Four was better then Batman Begins because F4 didn't take itself seriously, and according to him no comic book movie should take itself seriously)

And really Ultimate Evil and ArcBlade, I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but you really should read the reviews before trying to argue for or against Ledger getting an Oscar. You'd see what everyone's talking about. It's really amazing to see how many reviewers are praising Ledger's preformance as Oscar worthy. And remember that they're critics, not comic fans, so they're not predisposed to go easy on any movie.

The thing is, the movie itself is starting to generate Oscar murmurs from critics, not just Heath's performance. If the movie is that strong, that the whole film can justifiably get a nomination, then Heath for supporting actor is very plausible.

yah.... you guys are forgetting the acutal movie is itself getting some oscar buzz... which would be amazing even to get nominated for a major award.
I mean ledger does deserve an oscar cause his performance in brokeback mountain was just incredible. and so far i've heard every critic rave about his performance.

Neither do horror films. But look at Silence of the Lambs.

There's always a few that break the mold.

Neither do horror films. But look at Silence of the Lambs.

There's always a few that break the mold.

I have a feeling that Ledger's Joker will not only be the best villain ever in a comic book film but will join the likes of Hannibal Lecter as one of the greatest villains in cinematic history.

Watching that Dominoes trailer with the Joker saying "Does it depress you...", was anyone else reminded of the scene from Blade Runner with Roy Batty talking to Deckard in the rain, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." That BR scene is so powerful and that TDK scene looks to be as well. And I know Nolan is a huge fan of BR.

Everything we've read so far tells us this will be so much more than a comic book movie.

In fact I've heard it referred to more as an epic crime drama recently.

Almost certain to get a nomination, the movement is so big. Not sure about a win, who knows.

Trouble is if he wins so many people will just claim it was because of his death, no matter how deserving he might be.

Even though it's a long way until awards season and there will be many an Oscar worthy film, if the film is as good as some of the critics are saying, being compared to Heat, The Departed, The Untouchables etc, then the film has every right to be recognized for nomination in major categories, not just the tech awards. People say the Academy will never recognize a superhero film? Well, maybe it's time to stop thinking of The Dark Knight as a superhero film people. If it is so damn good, The Dark Knight may be the exception that breaks the rule that says comic adaptations don't deserve a place at Oscar night. If the film was to crack big nominations (picture, director, adapted screenplay etc) it could very well shake up the movie industry as to how they make the June-July Blockbusters, and it would be for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"