Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillardNation Nibiru Warrior

2. Asgard Kanga Fu

How do you know that they cast him solely because he was black or if at all?

Maybe they just liked his audition and his look better than the rest.

I wonder if the casting director or even Branagh specified race when looking for potential actors to play the role.

Btw, they could always say that Heimdall is an adopted brother to Sif like how he's sometimes referred to as a foster son to Odin.

3. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

This reminds me of Leonardo DiCaprio's Romeo + Juliet.

Left field casting just for the sake of being weird.

4. hugekent Registered

Yeh I don't see the point of this really. He'll make for a bad ass character, but he won't be Heimdall.

5. Jake Cassidy Registered

I don't care about race. Elba is a brilliant actor.

6. Paroxysm Registered

Yeah I'm sure he'll do a kick ass job.

7. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

I love Elba and think he is Brilliant.... but I'm saddened by this news... I really wanted him for Black Panther or Luke Cage :(

8. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Yeah he would've made an awesome Black Panther.

9. Silvermoth Avenger

I don't mind. To be honest, Heimdall doesn't do a lot really and his performance probably won't be crucial to the film. Also I like Idris

10. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

Don't get me wrong I think he's gonna do a Brilliant job I just wish he would have held out for a much larger Role like Black Panther.

11. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

yea i have nothing against this guy myself i hear he is stellar in films he has done. Though we have no clue why he was picked over a white guy or not. We have no clue if it was for PC reasons, or them just changing it for the hell of it. I dont think kenneth is about that.

12. Jake Cassidy Registered

'Thor' has already taken Aquaman (Hemsworth) and Wonder Woman (Alexander). Now they have John Stewart.

Damn you Marvel. :cmad:

:woot:

13. Juggernaut33 Registered

My avatar should tell you why I'm excited about this casting choice.

14. DarthDaveBanner Registered

Now who the heck is Skarsgard playing?

15. Eldarion Registered

At least Hogun was asian in the comics but Heimdall... Why have they chosen Elba? He doesn't fit in, don't they already have a black Nick Fury, is it just too please some demographics in the audience? Let's put another African in it, a black Asguardian... Lord Of The Rings didn't had any african in its movies and it was probably better because of that. You got to have some respect for the comics and even Norse Mythology. Blacks and Vikings/norse gods are like water and fire, they are completely the opposite. This tempered my expectation a lot for the movie. I hope this is a joke, it has to be.

16. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

This news has taken me by surprise a bit, it does seem a little strange having Heimdall be black. But c'mon.... it's STRINGER BELL. They could have him playing frickin' Wonder Woman and he'd make it utterly badass.

If anything, I'm more saddened that Idris Elba has been cast in what will probably be a small role, which might hurt his chances of a more prominent role in another comic book film. But it merely serves to add to the embarassment of riches that is the Thor ensemble cast.

17. He-Man Registered

:up: Exactly. The cast for this movie is great.

18. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Damn I still hope he gets to play Luke Cage some day as he would be perfect
    kenneth branagh has a history of casting actors regardless of colour but I don't think its casting to appease black people. I find it kind of insulting that every time a black actors cast in a role that might of been written for someone another race its automatically assumed its just to appeal to a demographic and not because said actor is actually talented.

19. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Well I like Elba alot

but my stance on the changing of race is...instead of turning a white character black why not build up the few black superheroes or even make new ones

20. Drz Real Hero

Aslong as he gets a Heimdall alike beard i'm satisfied. I mean remember Michael Duncan as Kingpin? He was just awesome!

21. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

I hope you're right...but this does have the "diversity" smell on it.

I had no problem with Michael Clark Duncan in Daredevil because I honestly think he was the best available choice.

But is this guy really "the best available choice"? Doesn't "best available choice" also include the look of the character? Would anyone accept the Black Panther being played by a white actor...even if that actor was the greatest actor on the planet? Are we expected to believe that no white actor was good enough to play this role?

If we are going to pretend the race of the character doesn't matter, does that also mean the sex of the character doesn't matter either? Can we change Wonder Woman to Wonder Man? How about making the Silver Surfer female?

Not a huge deal since it is a minor character. I'm sure they can find a way to explain it, but my concern is I hope this doesn't signal a trend in casting for the wrong reasons. Making a choice based on something other than the "right fit" can hurt a movie. The Black Panther and Luke Cage better darn well be black (and male) if they get around to putting them in a movie!

22. afan Registered

This is the first news re. Thor that has me scratching my head........

23. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

After reading the thread, I do remember him in The Wire and he is very good.

I echo the worry about other roles. He would be a great Luke Cage.

24. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

How about making the Silver Surfer... Golden? :woot:

25. afan Registered

Bronze Boarder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.