Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [email protected] MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

I beg to differ a lil on that one. Djimon Hounsou is the perfect Black Panther, I just can't picture anyone else better. But maybe Luke Cage would have been fitting for Elba.

That aside I'm excited to see his take on it. I always liked seeing him act and I think he has tremendous screen presence and charisma so this should be interesting.

#51 [email protected], Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

I'd pay good money to see that.

3. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

I'm hoping for Chiwetel Ejiofor as the Black Panther myself. :)

[​IMG]

4. [email protected] MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

Sorry to dissapoint you my friend but its legit. It's now on Marvel's Website:

SOURCE

5. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

:woot:

6. The Sage The World's Finest

Left field casting, but finally Idris is going to be in a movie I'll most likely love. :up:

7. Manowar Registered

I'm stuned at the casting. Loki is already an adopted half brother. How would they explain Heimdall I wonder. Should be interesting. They had Dark Elves in Asgard but I don't think i've ever seen black Asgardians...

8. FlawlessVictory Registered

Well, I guess we now know who will die first in this movie. :hehe:

9. spider-neil spins a web any size!

wow. that's certainly out of left field.
    I think the actor just blew away the casting crew and were more concerned with the acting than the colour.

to be honest, heimdall isn't the main lead or even the secondary lead so I fail to see what the big deal is.

#59 spider-neil, Nov 20, 2009
  10. afan Registered

.........reminds me Morgan Freeman's casting in Robin Hood.

#60 afan, Nov 20, 2009
  11. spider-neil spins a web any size!

instead of heimdall normal norse fatigues he could wear a black suit with a heavy black overcoat with the finishing touch being the black leather gloves.

thor - 'I'm back from midgard, I demand entry I have urgent matters to discuss with odin'

heimdall - (looking at list) '...you're name's not down, you're not coming in'

thor - 'I LIVE here, honest!'

heimdall - 'move along sir you're causing a scene...'

12. Manowar Registered

I wonder if Heimdall in the comics is going to start appearing darker and darker ala Nick Fury...

13. spider-neil spins a web any size!

it's quite possible he'll wear a war helmet that obscures most of his face, like coipel's rendition of him.

14. Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

1) Never heard of Heat Vision as a source before so I don't know how reliable/accurate it is as a source.
    2) In the script wasn't Heimdall changed to Sif's father and not brother? Don't know how that will be touched on if this casting is true.
    3) Like others have said there are other Marvel roles he'd be better suited to.

15. DocHoliday The King of Cool

Completely fine with this. Actually I am happy about it. Elba is a very solid actor. When I saw his name I was actually hoping he was Baldur as there needs to be a strong and noble guy playing him but oh well.

16. spider-neil spins a web any size!

it's real, it's on the marvel official site.

17. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Agreed.

18. Judson Caspian Registered

If they casted Elba just for the sake of "see? We don't care if no one is black in Asgard, we can cast black people anyway! Give us your money now."

... then Marvel Studios just became pathetic.

It's also very different from Nick Fury. There's no Ultimate Heimdall...

19. antmanx68 Registered

Jeez, this is kind of annoying to me. I don't doubt that he could have "blown away" everyone at his audition, he might be the best actor ever, the question is why was he being considered in the first place? Changing this kind of stuff just for the sake of it is wrong. I believe that MCD had the potential to be a better Kingpin than a lot of other actors, black or white, even that was kind of questionable. But Elba for Hemdal? Was there a shortage of big, tough, viking-esque actors who auditioned for this movie to the point that they had to change the criteria completely? It boggles the mind. I'm sure he's a fine actor, He was good on The Office I guess, and while it won't ruin the movie it just seems kind of cheap and pointless to me.

I agree with the example of Lord of the Rings. Would those movie have been improved by making Faramir black? I don't think so.... It would have been pointless and out of place.

Although Asgard isn't a real place its definitely built upon a certain motif that mirrors certain real life cultures/regions, and I just don't imagine any black characters there. I guess they could just mention how he is from a far away land and his people were conquered like Hogun's, or he was chosen for a special reason to guard the bridge, but why?

Edit: Maybe Branagh knows what he's doing, he likes to do peculiar and anachronistic things sometimes to add interest to source material... like having a lot of white actors in As You Like It playing European characters even though he moved the story to a Feudal Japan setting.... I dunno, still don't like it.

#69 antmanx68, Nov 20, 2009
  20. [email protected] MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

Well here's my Photo:
    [​IMG]
    Let the Vote Wars Begin :hehe:

21. NoirMan82 Registered

Why? Freeman played a character that was a Moor, which if you ever so much as scanned a history text, you'd know the Moors were from Africa and Persia.

#71 NoirMan82, Nov 20, 2009
  22. NoirMan82 Registered

I don't think that is the case. Not at all. If it was so, then any black actor would do. But they got someone with chops and the ability to play a warrior type. Maybe, just maybe, Branaugh casted him based on what he saw from the audition.

23. NoirMan82 Registered

How so? The only black or "left field" choices were Mercutio and the Police Captain, and maybe Tibalt. What does it matter if any of those characters are of a certain in a modern depiction of the story?

24. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

what the "f"?

25. Raiden Wakanda Forever

I'm all for political correctness, but isn't Heimdall the brother of Sif? I don't know why Branagh wanted to cast an African-American for this role; couldn't he have picked some other Norse character instead? It's the first casting decision that I'm disagreeing with thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.