Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Not a big deal. Name me a time when Sif and Heimdall being siblings ever played a significant part in any Thor story. I've read about 2/3rds of all the Thor comics ever published and I can't think of one. They can comfortably do away with the sibling relationship and keep the core of each character intact.

Elba's a great actor so I'm cool with it, whatever the reasons for casting Heimdall as a black man.

2. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Yes they are siblings. The Jessica Alba/Chris Evans situation in FF comes to mind. NOT a good sign at all

3. Still A ThorFan Registered

I don't mind at all. Let him grow a nice thick beard, bulk up, and he should look great in armor, including the helmet and huge axe. After all we have Hogun who is Asian, how about a latin Balder? I'd like that.

4. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Should be a huge two-handed sword that he wields with one hand, but that's just my opinion. ;)

And Balder has black hair in the comics, so a Hispanic actor could work.

5. rnewbz More human than human

Great actor, great casting. It's time we stopped judging a black character as the token black guy. I'm sure his performance was amazing and that was why he was cast. Also they're dieties, so even if the Norse saw them as white, didn't mean all of them were. If Hogun can be Asian then why not a black Norse god?

As for the black panther being white comments, Black Panther being African is intregal to his storyline, besides superhero comics already are lacking in diversity so it wouldn't make sense to change one of the most popular black characters white. Gods can appear however and our only understanding is based on human perception.

6. Rich Santoro Addicted to degeneracy

Really... one could see this as, Norse Gods are just the ones that the Norse came to worship. They don't have to be ethnically "Norse". They are "Asgardian" afterall, and I have never seen that as a demographic option on any forms... so I can't say what ethnicity they are supposed to be.

Plus, it seems clear that Asgard (and the 9 worlds) have some ethnic cross-over since Hogun made his way to be a part of the Warriors Three.

Lastly... the "Norse" gods were also worshipped by Germanic culture, so they are not wholly owned by Scandinavian culture. This is not an issue...

7. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

because he is Norse.

Try to suggest an Iraqi Cpt. America... it just doesn't fit.

8. afan Registered

Isn't it Moops?:yay:

It's a head scratcher is all, putting a moor in the legend of Robin Hood is as puzzling to me as placing a black man in Norse mythology.

9. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

why? who do you think they fought in the crusades? And aren't the crusades an important part of the Hood mythology?

10. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

No not the same :dry:

11. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Well said. The myths are not and never have been the sum total of all there is to Marvel's Norse gods. Some myths claim Thor is a redhead and almost all claim he's bearded, yet Marvel's Thor is blonde and prefers to go beardless. No reason Marvel's "real" Heimdall couldn't have dark skin due to those same mythical "inaccuracies." People are getting worked up for nothing.

12. Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Great casting...

13. spider-neil spins a web any size!

doesn't coipel draw heimdall's face in complete shadow with stars in the black bits?

14. Manowar Registered

You're right. Captain America should be Native American Indian, truly the First American Avenger! :cwink:

15. terry78 I'm not cap'n crunch, fool

The other sites I've visited earlier upon hearing this basically went insane over this news, and not in the good way. They call him the "affirmative action Asgardian". :dry:

I swear, these are the same people that *****ed about there being two black characters in Left 4 Dead 2.....quit crying. They act like they cast a ****ing rapper in the role or something.

16. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Well, fans will be fans. I'm a big Thor fan and I'm fine with it, but I'm well aware there are purists out there who'd be upset over any change. There always are.
    Only when Heimdall's using whatever new power JMS gave him that allowed him to sense other Asgardians' spirits within their human hosts. Usually he's got a normal face.

17. Rich Santoro Addicted to degeneracy

Moreover... I want to add... regardless of trying to massage a reason to accept this casting from a story stand-point... I could simply see Idris wanting to get in on the comic book hero movie genre (there is big money and exposure, and he wants in... this is understandable).

There are plenty of roles in the film, large and small... so his agent gets him a reading...

Branaugh sees him do his thing. Then in his quirky and genius artistic mind (much more agile and open then many on this board, I would say) he sees a fit for Heimdal. No PC or demographic conspiracy theories... just movie people doing what they do best.

18. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

It's entirely possible. Elba's a fantastic actor.

19. drax Registered

I remember in the 80's, during the story with the new Mutants and the Asgardians, Fandrall and Hogun was shocked by the dark skin of Sunspot when he was in his human form, Hogun replied to him that it was normal and regular among humans in Midgard, it was clear that in Asgard, there are just white gods, for Hogun, he clearly look like a Mongol, Mongols are nomads and it was normal to move in others lands,I think they has some relationship/war with the Nordic.

But asian Hogun or not, it's not the same thing that a black Heimdall, in the comics, he have never been black, but honestly it's not a big deal, Heimdall is not have a particular look, like the blond hair of Fandrall, or like the Mongol look of Hogun, in general he have always a big helmet, I don't know their reason to change him into a black character, but it's seem that the actor is good, it's the most important thing, it's not like they have changed make Sif, Thor or Loki or Odin and make them african, he is a minor character, it's for that the comparaison with Black Panther don't work, it's more like if he take a foe or friend of Black Panthern and turn him in asian or a white, I don't think it would be a big deal.

A black Heimdall is weird, but not so important.

20. Franklin Richards Registered

How about the time Heimdall was romancing the Enchantress and Sif went bat**** crazy cause her brother was dating Amora? Or how about the time Heimdall was going to rearrange Thor's face because he let Sif run off with Beta Ray Bill?

This is ********.

As a white male actor I hate seeing roles getting gimmick cast. Gimmick casting is a tradition in Shakespeare but they've had 500 years to portray every iteration of these plays. Why change the first outing with a bit of affirmative action casting? You telling me there wasn't a white male actor good enough to play a Nordic God? Not one?

Hogun was a fine bit of casting. He was a Tatar. The Outsider.

But Heimdall sat in Odin's throne for a while when no one else could. He's a blood Asgardian and his blood should reflect that.

Let's just cast a black Thor. Would that be ok?

:thor: :thor: :thor:

21. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Nope. But Heimdall's not an iconic character, as drax just mentioned. Supporters have a different status and thus a different level of interpretation. Making Heimdall black is akin to making Thor go to Earth for punishment but leaving Don Blake out to me. A change, yes, but nothing that's particularly noteworthy.

22. terry78 I'm not cap'n crunch, fool

Well, they cast asian characters with white guys all the time, and some black characters have been made white in tv or film. They claim it's to make it more marketable, but hey.

23. spider-neil spins a web any size!

I know this is a little 'far fetched' but maybe (just maybe) the director cast him because he thought he would do justice to the character and the thought of colour didn't enter the director's mind.

...I know, too far fetched...

24. drax Registered

Heimdall is not important like Thor, it's not the same thing, I have tought myself about the moment when Heimdall was the ruler of Asgard, yes to see an black ruler of Asgard would be very weird, but I don't think we can have the chance to see this story, I think that Heimdall in movie will have always a minor role.

25. terry78 I'm not cap'n crunch, fool

LOL, when people complain about black people being hired due to affirmative action, it's no wonder accusations of racism run rampant. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.