Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin Richards Registered

Ok. I suppose when watching "Do The Right Thing" there should be one supporting guy in the background that's white. Just the token white friend hanging out talking about how white people suck.

Jimmy Olsen should be Pakistani in the next movie too.

Maybe he's not the character that every story is written about. But he's been a steady character for years. For fans of the stories to just accept this seems stupid to me.

Oh and I was Heimdall's biggest fan so maybe he does have some impact.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

2. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Jimmy Olsen was hispanic for a couple seasons of Lois & Clark and I didn't mind. It's just not a big deal to me. Sorry if that makes me lose my "Thor fan" status to you. :)

3. spider-neil spins a web any size!

jimmy olsen isn't a minor character. a better example (if you are going to use the superman universe) would be making cat (female reporter) black.
    big deal.

4. afan Registered

Don't want to change this into a Robin Hood discussion, but.......

Admittedly the mythology of Robin Hood is very varied and certainly open to various iterations, including "The Prince of Thieves", and within that film I suppose the presence of a moor is no less puzzling than the inclusion of gunpowder:cwink:.

However.....
    The crusade that Richard the Lionhearted left England on was to regain the Holy Land (Jerusalem) from the muslim leader Saladin.

Moors occupied Northern Africa, and for a time ruled in Spain. Though by the time of Richard they were fairly well assimilated as hispanics. However they did not occupy Jerusalem.

Robin Hood in early legend never served in any crusade, and I believe it was the film "Robin and Marian" that first introduced that idea.

5. DocHoliday The King of Cool

I could care less if Jimmy Olsen was Pakistani.

6. Franklin Richards Registered

I've directed and cast plays. It's 90% of the job. When you cast M'lynn from Steel Magnolias you don't cast a guy. It's pretty simple. When you cast Othello you cast a Moor. It's pretty simple.

If you want a gimmick cast then keep the gimmick going for the entire cast.

So you'd be ok with a black Jimmy Olsen? How about a white War Machine?

You're right. Let's just put Heimdall in White Face.

I don't think I've come across as racist. It has nothing to do with my ire.

7. DocHoliday The King of Cool

Can't speak for him but I'd be perfectly fine with a black Jimmy Olsen or a white War Machine.

8. topdog1 Hero For Hire

I thought Kingpin was great in Daredevil. (The director's cut anyway) Who cares about color if the character is written right and the actor has the chops?

Nuff said.

9. spider-neil spins a web any size!

primary - thor, odin, loki

secondary - jane, sif

tertiary - warriors three, heimdall, baldur (if he gets cast)

10. Franklin Richards Registered

Ok. Let's do this another way.

Would it have been ok to make Bilbo Baggin's and Elf? He's a minor character related to one of the other characters.

Why add one more thing?

11. NoirMan82 Registered

Sorry, but you sound incredibly ignorant. Did black fans go all into a tizzy when D.B. Sweeny and Martin Sheen landed roles of black characters in Spawn? What about Elizabeth Taylor being Cleopatra? How about Gerard Butler being Scottish and portraying a Greek? But all of a sudden when it's a black guy getting the old Hollywood Reach'a'Round, then it's for the sake of being "PC" or an affirmative action pick. Maybe they saw an actor at his audition, and not a "black actor". Maybe he really was the best. Maybe it's because Marvel and Branagh isn't as small-minded and ethnically insecure as you are.

#111 NoirMan82, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  12. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Bilbo's not a minor character if you include The Hobbit. But yeah, so long as they break the familial connection between Bilbo and Frodo, no problem. I'd be curious why they decided to go that way, but it wouldn't really bother me since he doesn't play a huge role in The Lord of the Rings.

Now, if Heimdall and Sif are still siblings in the film, that could raise some odd questions.

13. spider-neil spins a web any size!

my first concern is for acting ability and then the look but the look because less important to me when you start to move down the pecking order of the cast. I would be seriously p***** if thor was cast as a black guy or any of the main cast (I'm a black guy myself before anyone asks) but when it comes to minor characters, who cares? I certainly don't, as long as the actor can act.

14. Manowar Registered

Originally his hair was White. Is it black now?

15. Still A ThorFan Registered

Damn, some are taking this too seriously. Its not like Thor or Balder were being played by a "black" actor, its just Heimdall.

To clear up the latin Balder thing. I mean a latin actor is fine, as long as Balder is not speaking spanish. "Mira Thor, como estas?"

We have a smart director who knows the source material. Everyone should just sit back and enjoy the pounding Thor is going to give the F4, Spiderman, and the next 30 X-Men movies, which are being made for the kids to air as after school specials with tons of product placement. Meanwhile Thor will get positive reviews and maybe just maybe an award or two. And I don't mean an MTV award.

16. JAK® Upstart

We don't even know how important Heimdall is in the movie.

Also, it is entirely possible to have a black and white brother and sister. It is very rare, but it happens.

Especially considering that we are talking about gods here, brothers and sisters looking completely different happens all the time in mythology.

Also, according to Norse mythology, he was created by the ocean waves, so really he doesn't have to follow anglo-saxon genetics.

#116 JAK®, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  17. DocHoliday The King of Cool

Indeed^. Now I'm not sure if Branagh ever thought of the demographic thing but I am sure Marvel did. Not saying that's why he was cast but let's not act as if they were oblivious to the benefits of it. I am as certain as I can be without intimate knowledge that he was cast for his acting chops. Let's face it, he isn't a star so it's not like they cast someone with Denzel's marketing potential.

18. Franklin Richards Registered

I'm ethnically insecure? Funny.

In the instances where they changed the character. They were wrong. That's what I've been saying.

Am I to be held responsible for black people not throwing a tizzy?

I'm small minded? Because I want a white character to be a white character? I'm small minded because I want black characters to be black characters?

Just because you want Bilbo Baggins to be a smurf instead of a hobbit doesn't make me small minded.

19. spider-neil spins a web any size!

baldur's hair is brown it turned white when he saw the horror of hel. his hair has since returned to its normal colour post ragnarok

20. NoirMan82 Registered

:pal:

21. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I just don't see how it's a big deal. If they swap Heimdall's race in the comics after 40 years of being white, that'd be a whole other story. But changing it right from the start for the films, which are adaptations of comics that were (very, very) loosely adapted from myths, which are themselves highly contradictory written accounts of verbal stories told by people over a thousand years ago? Doesn't bother me. It's not like they cast Tyrese or Ludacris as Heimdall; Elba is a bloody amazing actor, period.

22. afan Registered

A previous poster mentioned Hogun.........now to me if you're gonna drift, here is where to drift. Hogun is already non-Aesir so nothing prevents a casting choice in any direction, however Heimdall is another matter. You are purposefully altering the race of the character. It is that purpose that puzzles me. The inclusion of a black actor is of no import to me, but the why is.

23. spider-neil spins a web any size!

I don't think it's racist to say an actor should be the colour he is portrayed in the source material. more purist than racist. I just don't see what the big deal is. he isn't the lead and you don't know how he will look on screen.

24. Franklin Richards Registered

I guess I'll stop arguing because I'm a racist.

25. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I'm curious about the reason as well. I hope it's not just some kind of political correctness trip, but even if it is, at the end of the day, Elba is great and will do the character justice. That's the most important thing to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.