Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grillz Registered

Wow, was it this bad when MCD was cast as Kingpin? I bet a bunch of people making a big fuss over the casting never heard of Heimdall. I never heard of him until I started looking up the comics. If they decided to cast a black guy more power to them, if not so what? It's cool to see people with my skin color in films, just like it is with asians, latinos, etc. Seeing people saying "You ruined a secondary white character in a movie by making him another race!" just shows you how far we really did come.

*Rodney King voice*Can't we all just get along? :hrt:

2. BigThor God of Thunder

Dude, if you're going to quote someone then reply atleast make sure to comment on what they've said as a whole, rather than slightly off-topic rambling.

#1477 BigThor, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Aesop Rocks Now I'm Free.

Hey, all you "Heimdall should be white!" people:

From Sif herself! :)

4. Franklin Richards Registered

Yeah... cause anyone who thinks Heimdall should be white is racist.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

5. Aesop Rocks Now I'm Free.

Oh Petunia, you know what I meant~

6. Franklin Richards Registered

Sure. But I get frustrated being on the same side as a bunch of neo-nazis.

:D

:doom: :doom: :doom:

7. Aesop Rocks Now I'm Free.

8. piccolo Doom is watching you

Sif's right, its a movie, and Heimdall should be white because thats what he's always been. Heimdall isn't white in the movie, but its not going to affect whether the film is good or bad, and in the grand scheme its rather inconsequential.

That doesn't mean people aren't allowed preferences as to what they'd like, and the prerogative to express them. Jeering someone for expressing preference for a white actor is almost as ridiculous as rednecks boycotting the movie.

Saying that, at this point, it really is like 'whats the point'.

#1483 piccolo, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  9. TikkiEXX Registered

he should be white cus thats what hes always been? hmm so did i miss something? did the Thor MOVIE come out yet? i think it pretty obvious that the movies are different from the comics and take place in their own continuity. so technically the movie version of Heimdall has always been black. see where im going with this? not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that the Marvel Movieverse is already way different from the Comic U. if people dont like it its cool, but it all seems really small and petty to me. waste of energy

10. BigThor God of Thunder

I agree, though some people are saying "they have a right to be mad about Heimdall for accuracy's sake". True, but there are so many other differences in the movie that they ignore so its makes them come across as "racist.

It's petty and ignorant to go as far as some people are going with this. I feel that at the end of the day what really matters is, if Idris Elba is going to convey the essence of Heimdall, and I think he will.

#1485 BigThor, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  11. hugekent Registered

I can't see how it's racist at all. I'm sure that's the reason for a lot of people thinking it, but the majority probably just don't see why they have a black man playing a white character. I personally think it's great casting.

12. JAK® Upstart

You missed the point.

Having experience with both Shakespeare and Sci-Fi is a good combination for Thor, who has elements of both. Was Frankenstein a good movie? Subjective. Hamlet, however, is highly regarded.

13. BigThor God of Thunder

Exactly, I understood where you were coming from all along ;)

14. BigThor God of Thunder

It just seems odd when that's the ONLY thing people notice

15. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

As is Henry V, which had a lot more in the way of battles. His Frankenstein was a bit hit & miss for me.

16. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Also, in response to Jamie Alexander's Twitter post:

Im sure she was referring to the racist things that have been said.
    She's not saying that everyone who prefers a white Heimdall is racist.
    But she's telling the people who are being racist about it to ****!

17. Jager X Registered

So people overlook a mongolian warrior and go straight for the black one, huh? Eh, I have no problem with Idris Elba playing Heimdall. Now James Bond on the other hand.....

18. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

No you missed the point. How does making a crappy sci-fi movie qualify him to direct anything sci-fi related?

and again doing shakespeare doesn't prepare someone for a superhero blockbuster.

19. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I kinda liked Frankenstein

Sure Deniro was terribly miscast, but it was a good adaption of the book.
    Way closer than any other Frankenstein movie ever made.
    Also way more frightening.

20. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Well I think the problem here is the original source for this complaint and the stupid calls for a boycott: A overly right wing group whose dubious beliefs lead any sane observer to the inevitable conclusion these misguided idiots are bigots. As such anyone not attached to these morons who doesn't like the casting choice is always gonna suffer a little 'guilt by association'.

But for me if any comics fans don't like it because Heimdall, and afaik all Asgardians, have been Caucasian in the books, I can respect that and there's no need to group them in with these 'boycott' clowns. Likewise with any fans who disagreed with Kerry Washington being cast as Alicia Masters, MD Clarke for Kingpin, etc: Fans of the source material have the right to simply not like any casting that conflicts with that material, if that is what they choose to do.

I don't think its a big deal myself, and certainly nothing to get worked up over at all, but I respect they have the freedom to make that choice.
    It's when we don't respect that freedom we become no better than the 'boycott' morons are.

21. JAK® Upstart

I don't know what to think about the Heimdall situation because it does not make sense for a Norse God to be black, but that's from the perspective of the actual Norse myths. These are the Marvel gods, and their backstory means that they are decidedly NOT Norse in origin, but were simply worshiped by them. So Heimdall can be black.

But it's tricky. Things would be different if they made Thor black. Even though you could justify it the same way.

I think that in cases where it does not matter at all characters can have their races changed. Spectacular Spider-Man did it a lot. But making Dr. Bromwell black is definitely a non issue. But white Ned Leeds becoming Asian Ned Lee bothered some people.

22. GhostPoet Registered

Heimdall looks freaking epic in this movie. He's cooler than all of us put together.

23. BigThor God of Thunder

He might be the coolest looking Asgardian in the entire movie. That golden armor and those flaming eyes are scene stealers.

24. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Agree entirely :yay: :up:

25. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Indeed! Way to go Jamie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.