Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Registered

2. BigThor God of Thunder

^^^ Lol

3. JAK® Upstart

Penny Arcade is great.

4. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Hehe, I gotta start reading Penny Arcade regularly again. That's great. :D

5. BigThor God of Thunder

Where can I download the official Thor trailer

6. Franklin Richards Registered

That's because he's not Mongolian. He's a Tatar. Which is geographically and historically correct.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

7. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Tatar, you say?

Very saucy.......

8. Franklin Richards Registered

Mmmm. Fish and chips.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

9. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

10. Wylie Times Registered

I wasn't aware there were Tatar's in space:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1140914p1.html

11. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Hogun isn't an apt comparison as it was acknowledged early on in the books that he is not an Aesir.

12. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah Number 6 of the Tales of Asgard plainly shows that Hogun isn't originally Asgardian in the first place.

13. dnno1 Registered

Just keep in mind that the film is not necessarily being made for some people in Norway.

14. BigThor God of Thunder

Yeah, I thought Hogun not being an Æsir was common knowledge

15. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

16. Joker Registered

To all you "non-racists" who care about Heimdall being black, let me ask you this: What difference does it make? Other than what color his skin is, does it make any difference at all to the character? If the answer to this is "the only difference is in fact what color his skin is" and you are still against it, I'm sorry, but yes, you are a racist. Not to the point of the neo-nazi's who started the boycott, but it's still there.

It reminds me of when MCD was cast as Kingpin, and people were literally calling for boycotts of it, thinking they were going to turn him into a "gangsta" and have him wearing gold chains and listening to rap music and other such nonsense, when in fact the only difference was...guess what...the color of his skin.

Unless race is important to the character, it does not matter. The Black Panther should be a black guy because he's an African prince, and it's a pretty important element of the character, just like Red skull should be a white guy because he's a nazi and it's an important element of the character. With Kingpin, and now Heimdall, race is not important at all. MCD was the best choice for Kingpin, due to his massive size, and I bet Elba was probably cast because he was the best choice for the role. If you can't move past the fact that he's a different color, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself and your beliefs, because something is wrong with you on a fundamental level.

17. Gamma Burst Registered

The 'excuse' probably is : it's not ''faithful'' to the Nordic mythology!:dry:

18. Joker Registered

That's fine, these are aliens who influenced Norse mythology, not Norse gods. Next excuse.

19. Gamma Burst Registered

That's the only excuse I could think about. Maybe the ones who are bothered by it could explain it better.

20. BigThor God of Thunder

OMG this deserves comment of the week...this is sooooo true

21. BigThor God of Thunder

Man this guy is on a roll!!!

22. TikkiEXX Registered

clap,clap,clap. need anyone say more? lol

23. JAK® Upstart

Spider-Man is now being played by a black actor.

What is your response?

24. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

From what I've seen from a few posts here the 'excuse' is more "it's not faithful to the books" as the books themselves are not faithful to the mythology.
    Is that a big deal? Not for me, and not for most others I would imagine, but I can understand there are comic book fans who will not like it for that reason, just as I'm sure they won't like other deviations from the source that have nothing to do with a characters skin color (Asgardians probably being portrayed as aliens rather than Gods, smaller frost giants, Thor apparently not wearing his helmet in battles, Jane Foster being a scientist rather than a nurse, etc). We can think them overly fussy for being bothered by such things, but I do not agree with labelling them as anything worse than that, simply because they have a different benchmark what is or is not important for the movie adaptations.

Just consider this: If Sam Raimi had cast a black actor to play Spider-Man, would the multitude of fans that certainly would have complained about that be racists? Point there is skin color is no more important for Peter Parker's character that it is for Heimdall's. There's nothing about him that says he has to be white other than that is what he is in the books.

So why would those hypothetical fan objections be more acceptable, but here such fan objections warrant they be branded racists? Because Spider-Man is the main character and Heimdall is just a supporting one? Isn't that thinking kinda racist in itself?

What I'm getting at here is this: We start enforcing what we think is or is not important on others to the point that anyone not agreeing with this change is automatically branded a bigot, because in this instance the change is the characters skin color, then that's just another form of the intolerance and prejudice we accuse them of.

Personally I would rather grant these fans the freedom to disagree than assume or accuse they are inherently racist for doing so.

25. Franklin Richards Registered

Thank you.

Oh and Joker. Thanks for calling me a racist.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.