Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin Richards Registered

Oh. So they aren't using the time honored story that brought this series to popularity?

Then **** them. I guess I don't want to see this piece of **** then.

Quick show of hands. How many people like the 616 continuity of Thor? Now who likes the Earth X books better? Who has even read Earth X?

:thor: :thor: :thor:

2. Wylie Times Registered

What Marvel Studio's film has EVER stuck to the 616 storylines? Iron Man didn't, Incredible Hulk didn't, Captain America doesn't appear to, and neither does Thor.

3. JAK® Upstart

Wrong.
    Wrong.
    Wrong.

If you are claiming that they follow the Ultimate storylines you are also wrong.

4. Wylie Times Registered

Really? So in the comics Obadiah Stane is behind Tony's being held captive in Afghanistan, Justin Hammer isn't British or old, and Whiplash's father had dealings with Howard Stark?

Red Skull was a leader in Hydra in comics?

So in the comics there was no Donald Blake, Jane Foster is a scientist instead of a Nurse, and everything takes place in New Mexico?

Never said they were following the Ultimate storylines, but they don't follow the 616 storylines either.

5. JAK® Upstart

You're talking about details. The actual concepts and overall meaning of the stories are all 616.

6. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

616 all the way. I have read Earth X and the Asgardian 'revelation' was something I did not like at all... An Alien race on a 3rd level mutation that renders them Identity void shapeshifters, their existence completely malleable to the dreams and will of some old viking?

No thanks.

Galactus consuming Celestial embryos was an interesting idea though.

But I think the 'Earth X' connection is just the term 'Alien' being preferred to 'God'. I hope they leave it vague rather than flat out state they are not Gods in the movie, will have to wait and see on that one.

7. TikkiEXX Registered

this is kind of the point i was trying to make. as far as i can tell the Movies are influenced by bits and pieces of the Ultimate and regular Marvel U. but theyre pretty much doing their own thing. theyre not following anything 100 percent. so i consider the Moviverse to be in a seperate continuity. like how the Ultimate and 616 universes are similar but different. so i think expecting the movies to be exactly like the comics in the first place is setting yourself up for disapointment.

8. Wylie Times Registered

Which is what Heimdall's skin tone is, a detail and nothing more. obviously the concepts remain the same but various minor and major details are changed in all of the films. Donald Blake not being a big part of a film is a significant change from the 616 comics. It's a MUCH bigger change than Heimdall being black.

9. Katsuro Registered

Boy I really hope you got this upset at Harvey Dent being blond in TDK or Wolverine being tall. If not, you're probably a racist. You can justify yourself all you want, but when you care this much about a minor character being black instead of white, there's something up.

Also,

I wouldn't mind at all, actually. In fact, I remember a little while ago reading that Donald Glover (Troy on "Community") was interested in auditioning for Spider-Man, and thought it'd be really cool.

#1559 Katsuro, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  10. Whiskey Tango Registered

This should be quoted again and again, and then shouted from the hills. But people still wouldn't get it.

11. Franklin Richards Registered

When does Thor stop being Thor? How many changes does it take to get rid of the story I grew up with and loved?

When does a vampire stop being a vampire? If he doesn't react to garlic or crosses. If he can stand in the sunlight and sparkle instead of blowing up. If it's a disease instead of a pact with unholy devils.

I don't want Thor's universe to become like Twilight.

And for ****'s sake stop trying to psychoanalyze me. You don't know what you're doing.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

12. piccolo Doom is watching you

It's already not "Thor", as has been pointed out so many times in effort to let people know how silly and racist they're being, as the movie characters are aliens and not gods, remember? Completely different from the comic, and thus licensed to be its own entity. Personally, I feel they should have changed his name to Forrest Thump. Just because.

13. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

It seems like a circular argument to me. Fan A complains on the grounds Heimdall is not black in the books. Fan B counters that complaint to state the movie is not based that closely on the books so Heimdall can in theory be anything (in the case of the "Earth X" aliens, literally anything*). This does not actually counter the complaint, but rather tells Fan A what they already know, so they repeat the complaint, gets told the same back again, lather, rinse, repeat...It'll just go on.

*Thinking about 'Earth X' reminded me of how Thor was changed into a woman for most of that series...So for those few of you who have seen fit to either infer or directly accuse other posters here of being racists for not liking the change with Heimdall, imagine this hypothetical situation:
    Heimdall was cast with a white actress. No skin color change, no reasoning for the change, just a straight forward and pointless gender swap.

Now it's not hard to imagine there would be numerous posts here along the lines of "WTF?". I'm just as sure there would be many posts on the matter stating how that change was not liked at all.

So what would you do then?
    Agree? Disagree? Be so indifferent to the matter you wouldn't bother commenting at all?

Would you perhaps feel obliged to accuse or infer that any posters complaining are inherently sexist, that they need to take a long hard look at themselves, that something is wrong with them, etc?
    Seriously, there's not anything about Heimdall that says he has to be a man, now is there?

Or maybe, just maybe...would you Understand there is no agenda, no prejudice at work, and the complaint is simply that Heimdall is not a girl in the books?

Seriously guys, I know you mean well, but branding fans here racists for the sin of not liking the change is going over the top. Disagree, explain why you dont think it matters, that's all good. Knee jerk fan bashing in the name of overly zealous political correctness is not (in my humble opinion).

#1563 wobbly, Dec 28, 2010
  14. Vartha Mod of Thunder

The movie's based on ALL the Thor stories not just one Universe. They HAVE said that over and over.
    Because this Thor does that, it IS it's own universe like the rest of the movies, the best of all the universes and STILL includes MAGIC.

#1564 Vartha, Dec 28, 2010
  15. piccolo Doom is watching you

We already know why they think it doesn't matter - because they don't care. Which is fine. Its well within people's rights to not give a **** about a change in the film from the adapted material. Reversal of the standard when the vice versa presents is the issue. People have free reign to whine about frost giants being a few feet shorter, or Thor's hair not being long enough, but say you'd rather see a white Heimdall and you're a neo-nazi. Boom, 40 pages.

I saw someone comment on a tendency of naysayers to moan about Idris's casting while ignoring other problems in the film - guess what? This is the "Heimdall was cast" thread, for discussion regarding Heimdall's casting. If you're only looking in this particular topic, of course you're going to see people concentrating on this particular subject.

The thread, anti-Elba posters included, would probably revolve around ridiculing the boycott that the "White Conservatist" group has organized, if these blanket statements of racism had not been made toward people who just want to see the source material realized as closely as possible. None of the counter-arguments have recognized that very fundamental desire. "Oh well gee, as long as the movie's not supposed to be just like the book" is not an appropriate response to expect. If some could accept that its natural for others to care about issues they may think insignificant, this thread would likely be half as long and much less volatile.

16. marcvader Lurker #1

Well put, good job.

17. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Kenneth Branagh felt Elba was the best actor to portray Heimdall.

How bout that.

I don't see other casting threads on this website still focusing on whether or not someone should've been cast.
    Once a film is underway, it usually changes to interviews and pictures of the actor.
    So to believe we've had 63 pages of "OMG he black!" isn't at least a lil bit racist, is delusional.

18. Franklin Richards Registered

Were you here for the Jessica Alba Casting Thread?

:ff: :ff: :ff:

19. Vartha Mod of Thunder

hahaha

20. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

okay okay, with a few exceptions

that one
    maybe heath ledger
    topher grace

but generally speaking, minor characters like Heimdall's official casting threads arent usually this active.
    Franklin, I'm not at all accusing you of being racist, I respect your opinion.
    But there's definitely something motivating this.

21. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Also, Jessica Alba is just terrible.

:woot:

22. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

The thread did go quiet for a while. It's mainly livened up again on the back of the boycott idiots making the news.

23. Franklin Richards Registered

What's motivating this is that Heimdall is my favorite Asgardian. Ask Vartha. Ask Corp. Long before this movie was announced I've long professed my love for this great character. Corp was surprised by it.

That love motivated my honest gut reaction to finding out they had changed the character. Then my logic kicked in. I've been a student of Norse Mythology but more of a student of Marvel's version. To change that already wonderful dynamic seemed anathema to me. Off the top of my head I thought of Sif. His blood sister. Now could it be her adopted brother? Sure. But that's a different dynamic. What the Native Americans called "Making a Relative". And that's fine. Just different.

And not the character I was already invested in.

Is Branaugh known for this? Of course. In Shakespeare. Where that sort of casting is traditional. I do have an MFA in Theatre after all. Does he want to bring that tradition into this movie. Fine. But don't call me racist when I raise an eyebrow and criticize the move.

I am also an actor. When I see another type getting a role that could have gone to a type I could have played, you damn right I take it personal. I don't like it when women get cast as Puck either. Am I sexist?

Bottom line is there are things behind my opinion. And none of them are racist.

So keep all your amateur psychology to yourself. Because by implying that the motivations are racist is just a copout. Address me. Not the Straw Man.

:ff: :ff: :ff:

#1573 Franklin Richards, Dec 28, 2010
  24. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well like I've said before, Heimdall being Black in the movie doesn't bother me too much at all, but, yeah Franklin has shown a big interest in the character in the past from the comics.
    At FIRST I thought Marvel was approaching the Asgardians like JMS' reborn Asgardians tho more closer to the rebirth of the Camelot cast in the books Camelot 3000, which really could have worked.
    I can also see since the Frost Giants are blue and are from a cold planet, then maybe THIS portrayal of Heimdall dealing with being a gate keeper to their space travel, he'd be as dark as space himself.
    I'm fine with Elba as Heimdall any way they approach the character.

25. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I did address you Franklin
    I said I don't think YOU are racist, I respect your love for Heimdall.
    (implying, therefore, that some other people, not you, are racist)
    But if you wanna just keep bein indignant, go for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.