Heimdall was cast!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Canis Sapiens, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin Richards Registered

More Conan.
    Less Flash Gordon.

:D

:thor: :thor: :thor:

2. Franklin Richards Registered

Most of those "you"'s were generic. And I have to be a little indignant. I'm being insulted, for Kirby's sake. :D

:doom: :doom: :doom:

3. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Oh, God-of-Thunder forbid, I'd never try to insult you.

now some of the trolls lurking around these parts, that's a different story :oldrazz:

4. Vartha Mod of Thunder

heh Franklin's a Kirbian Puritist. :D

5. TikkiEXX Registered

this kinda sums it up for me. and its why i refer to the movies continuity as the Movieverse. its too different to lump it inot 616 or Ultimate or anything else. even tho its HEAVILY influenced by all thor stories, its not the exact same. not that that really has anything to do with Elba. thats more of Branaghs thing. and i honestly dont give a rats ass what color the dude is in the comic, i was just ecstatic that a GOOD ACTOR got the role. screw race, that shows the ultimate respect for the character in my opinion. rather have a talented actor get it than some stiff no name hack.

6. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

The characters definitively being aliens rather than gods is the only thing that bugs me. I love mythology, so it annoys me when mythological characters are downgraded to aliens for people with no imagination to digest more easily. But I suspect they won't come right out and say they're specifically aliens or gods in the movie, so I'll probably ignore that and continue to think of them as actual gods in the movieverse.

7. WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

They can be BOTH though. They were always extradimensional entities. They are also still gods because they were worshiped as such by ancient man. They are of course aliens by very definition. They also seem to have kept "magic" while making it fit better with the "magic-tech" ideas.

I agree that I hope they establish them as "gods", with a nodding reference to the fact that they are powerful beings from another plane/dimension/etc.

As long as they don't constantly refer to them as "aliens" i'll be ok.

8. Gamma Burst Registered

This is exactly how I see it ,mate. What we understand as ''gods'' are extradimensional beings who once were worshped by different races/nations here on Earth.

9. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Their dimensions are just adjuncts to Earth's, though. The gods are natural products of the planet in the comics, in the same way that Gaea is literally the living spirit of Earth. They just happen to live in adjacent dimensions that they've created for themselves.

10. TikkiEXX Registered

thats a great point Corp. so essentially they ARE earthlings in a kind of roundabout way. just not human. man i need to reread The Encyclopedia Mythologica. lol. now you got me thinkin. haha

11. Bren Forevernoob

Any chance we'll see 'human' exiled Thor trying to get back to Asgard and Heimdal barring his way and throwing him back to earth? I hope his (Heimdals) role isn't limited to opening the portal. We get him snarling at something so isn't probably. What's he snarling at?

12. DoubleM Registered

Just did Wiki on Heimdall. Charateristics and interpretations suggest that he has nickname of the White God.

Heimdall is described as the son of nine different mothers (possibly the nine daughters of Ægir, called billow maidens) and was called the White God. His hall was called Himinbjörg (Sky Mountain) and his horse was Gulltoppr (Gold-top). Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda relates that a kenning for sword is head of Heimdall because Heimdall was struck by a man's head and that this is treated in the poem Heimdalargaldr, a poem that was lost. Similarly, a kenning for head is sword of Heimdall. The meaning may lie in Heimdall also being called "ram", the weapon of a battering ram being its head, including the horns. Georges Dumézil (1959) suggested that this might also be why Heimdall is called White-god.

I think he was made Black to polk fun at the myth the White God.:woot:

13. Katsuro Registered

Oh, the hardships of being a white male.

14. Silvermoth Avenger

:hehe:

15. Vartha Mod of Thunder

They've always been alien tho Corpy. They're from another dimension/World even in myth.
    I don't think it's that big of a downgrade, just an easier way to explain them to certain people. :D

16. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Heh I can't wait for them to explain THIS however. lol
    Granted the Asgardians do call her Jord, I wonder how they'll explain each planet has a spirit.:woot:

17. Franklin Richards Registered

So no real rebuttal just a jab eh?

Figures. No argument so I'm either racist or an entitled white boy.

Brilliant.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

18. Vartha Mod of Thunder

19. Franklin Richards Registered

The funny thing is that way back in this thread somewhere, I talk about how I think Elba will do a great job.

:D

:thor: :thor: :thor:

20. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I know you did, it's why I think it's a bit funny.

21. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Branding somebody 'racist' because they want a character to be portrayed on screen as closely as possible to the comic is definitely one of the dumbest things I've seen happen on an internet forum. And that says a LOT.
    I don't particularly care about Elba playing Heimdall as long as he's a good actor. His skin color doesn't matter to me either way, but I understand why Franklin Richards is bothered by this.
    Saying there's "something up with him" because he wants this character to be white is ignorance at it's finest.

22. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well in Franklin's defense he has said within the last few pages that he's a BIG Kirby fan ( I called him a "Kirbian Purist" :D) where most of us older Thor fans are in the first place.
    Most of us have some connection with the myths as well as the comics, so he's not exactly racist just a tad more picky because he loves Kirby's work so much.

23. TikkiEXX Registered

Franklins cool, i really dont think those comments were directed at him. at least i hope not. like Vartha said hes just a Kirby purist and theres nothing wrong with that.

24. BigThor God of Thunder

I understand someone being bothered by a change in race of a character, but personally I see Elba playing a great Heimdall no matter what color he is.

25. WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I think Elba will be great and Heimdall is not very well known anyway, so it will be fine. I personally have no problem with it.

I wonder if everyone calling people "racist" over complaining that Heimdall is black would have a problem if Bishop, Luke Cage, or Black Panther were cast as white? I would like those guys to be black personally. That doesn't make me racist.

I'm in the "if they are not that well known then its not that big of a deal" camp. You can change the race of minor characters with little break in the suspension of disbelief but its harder to do with major ones and should generally be avoided IMO. Its not about race either, its about adhering to the source material. It would annoy me if Wasp was a man.

It would also annoy me if Thor was a 5'5 guy with black hair or Captain America had a french accent.

It doesn't make me prejudice, racist, sexist or anything else. Just a geek :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.