Far From Home Helmet, yes or no?

Yeah, it's #4 actually- went back and double checked. That series was mostly used for short stories about the villains which was cool.

Oh nice, and thanks for double-checking. I’ll probably start from 1 then and see how far I get.

Most of the costumes in the MCU have had some practicality to them while trying to be as faithful to the comics as possible. Vulture's jacket and Cap's WWII suit with the parachute straps for example.

As much as I would love to see the fishbowl I don't see how they could make it practical unless it also some kind of oxygen mask to help him breathe.

Please no. Ultimate Mysterio looked like a poor man's Ghost Rider. I would prefer to see no elements taken from such an uninspired design. Stick to the comics and update the classic look as opposed to trying to impose gritty, realistic design on a character it doesn't belong on.

I agree. His ultimate design is wack. But instead of that green one-piece that Mysterio wears, they're probably gonna suit him up in SOME sort of suit which is why I said 1610.

Most of the costumes in the MCU have had some practicality to them while trying to be as faithful to the comics as possible. Vulture's jacket and Cap's WWII suit with the parachute straps for example.

As much as I would love to see the fishbowl I don't see how they could make it practical unless it also some kind of oxygen mask to help him breathe.
Mysterio isn't trying to be "practical" the point of his suit is that it looks like something from a movie. The illusion is that he's this supernatural being that doesn't adhere to the REAL world.

I don't get why some have this idea that Mysterio has to be grounded when it goes against the entire point of his character.

Mysterio isn't trying to be "practical" the point of his suit is that it looks like something from a movie. The illusion is that he's this supernatural being that doesn't adhere to the REAL world.

I don't get why some have this idea that Mysterio has to be grounded when it goes against the entire point of his character.

Even by that standard though, his suit can be updated. His suit doesn't look like something out of a movie at this point. I'm not asking that Mysterio's look be grounded in reality.. I just feel like it's very dated. Mysterio can still pull off an "Illusionist-Cinematic" look without having an oversized snow globe as a helmet. In fact, he can do it better! The standard costume weighs him down.

Last edited:
The big thing is that Mysterio needs to look frightening. In order to be received as the nightmare he presents himself as, he has to be updated at least a little. No one is going to be cared of the fishbowl.

He makes his costume look like Dr. Strange,cause that's his idol.

image390-e1418680628686.jpg

You could have his face behind it if you still wanna see him 24/7.

That's not bad at all!

The big thing is that Mysterio needs to look frightening.

Why? Spidey has plenty of frightening-looking villains, but I've never considered Mystero to be among them.

All the various Goblins should look "frightening". Lizard, Venom, Morbius, etc.

Yeah, Mysterio's out there messing with people's minds, but he's not DC's Scarecrow. Honestly, he should probably be less "frightening" than Vulture was last time around. Instead just...weird, trippy, flamboyant.

So now, not only does Mysterio have to look cheesy, but he should also be weird, trippy, and flamboyant? I'm sure glad that some fans aren't calling the shots on this one.

The books, might want to flip through one sometime.

Yep , gotta have the helmet , there's a thousand classic Spider-man jokes just waiting to happen

but maybe some modern high tech version , easy on , easy off version , kinda like Ant-Man and Star Lords helmet , or even Black Panthers helmet

or just an optical illusion

but he's gotta have the dome

I disagree. The path to camp is murky... you can easily fall in. Mysterio's outfit is dated. It's as simple as that. A SFX wizard today would have more modern sensibilities. His look is not intimidating, and it's not practical. You could easily have an updated glass orb over his face that still achieves all of Mysterio's goals but doesn't look like a carnival act from the 40s.
It's good for camouflage pretending to be a giant stand light bulb.

So now, not only does Mysterio have to look cheesy, but he should also be weird, trippy, and flamboyant? I'm sure glad that some fans aren't calling the shots on this one.
Um, yes. That's who Mysterio has always been in the comics

You act like the MCU doesn't do outlandish and ridiculous stuff. Have you seen Thor: Ragnarok? That has plenty of garish and goofy designs. Mysterio has always been about being flamboyant and theatrical. If you're not going to have him be that way, then what is the point of using him? You seem like you just want Mysterio to just be in name only.

You act like the MCU doesn't do outlandish and ridiculous stuff. Have you seen Thor: Ragnarok? That has plenty of garish and goofy designs. Mysterio has always been about being flamboyant and theatrical. If you're not going to have him be that way, then what is the point of using him? You seem like you just want Mysterio to just be in name only.

I've been seeing a lot of people wanting Mysterio to be akin to Kevin Smith's take in Guardian Devil and/or Scarecrow from Batman. Not for me, personally.

I want the theatrical and condescending Mysterio who refers himself in the third person and creates over-the-top illusions for the benefit of his own ego, like he's giving a performance to a non-existent audience rather than engaging in a battle.

Of course he doesn't have to remain that way, but that's definitely how he should be handled when we first see him.

I've been seeing a lot of people wanting Mysterio to be akin to Kevin Smith's take in Guardian Devil and/or Scarecrow from Batman. Not for me, personally.

I want the theatrical and condescending Mysterio who refers himself in the third person and creates over-the-top illusions for the benefit of his own ego, like he's giving a performance to a non-existent audience rather than engaging in a battle.

Of course he doesn't have to remain that way, but that's definitely how he should be handled when we first see him.
That's what I wanted as well. But with Gyllenhaal in the role, Beck will probably be a more serious character. But that doesn't mean he can't still be flamboyant and a bit over the top. It's part of his "holier than thou" attitude. A comic accurate look would fit perfectly with Gyllenhaal's character from Nightcrawler for example:
68Eu.gif

I understand wanting an update of the suit but trying to apply real world logic (i.e making his fishbowl-crystal ball some sort of breathing apparatus like someone suggested a few posts above) is the wrong way to approach the character.

Last edited:

Marvel has no problem with goofy or garish when they're aliens. They also don't have any problem when they can justify it as a piece of technology. I think, if they go fishbowl, that's how they'll go about it. They do shy away from giving villains costumes, though. You can just look to Shocker for that.

[YT]L6MHL2AETno[/YT]

That's what I wanted as well. But with Gyllenhaal in the role, Beck will probably be a more serious character. But that doesn't mean he can't still be flamboyant and a bit over the top. It's part of his "holier than thou" attitude. A comic accurate look would fit perfectly with Gyllenhaal's character from Nightcrawler for example:
68Eu.gif

I understand wanting an update of the suit but trying to apply real world logic (i.e making his fishbowl-crystal ball some sort of breathing apparatus like someone suggested a few posts above) is the wrong way to approach the character.

JG's Beck can be serious as himself and heightened when he's Mysterio. JG is extremely versatile and he'd pull it off with ease.

[YT]L6MHL2AETno[/YT]

That's exactly what I was referencing. My favorite take on Mysterio to date. :woot:

Yeah, serious and intimidating aren't mutually-exclusive with weird/wacky/flamboyant/theatrical.

He's a friggin' magician (however we want to define "magician", whichever way they go with how he pulls off the illusions), people.

Gyllenhaal can walk that line between scary and scenery-chewing wackadoodle pretty well. Sure that's part of what was going through Disney/Sony/Watt's heads with the casting choice.

We'll be getting some "mwahahaha!" stuff in some form, guarantee it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"