HELP! my comp has Aids

Neto Magnus

Superhero
Reaction score
^ok that title was probably offensive but seriously I think I have a virus.

Last week, I downloaded what I thought was a dvd screener copy of Cloverfield. Well I knew it was too good to be true but it turned out to be a fake copy anyway. Ever since then my comp has been acting screwy.

First off, I've been getting alot of IE pop ups. (I use Firefox) I used Ad-Aware and SpyBot over and over again but the pop ups dont seem to go away. So I stopped using IE but now I can't use msn messenger unless I connect with IE.

Also, my hard drives have been acting weird too. I keep getting this message:
30513499jq0.jpg

I have an external hard drive and every time I turn it on, the comp just restarts on its own. Or if I close a window for the internal drive or recycle bin, everything on my desktop disappears for a minute and then it asks me to restore my desktop.

What's going on? How can I fix it?

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!

Ha!!

I see a Geek Squad in your future.

ok i'm gonna try and reformat but I dont have the winXP CD. I have a Sony VAIO and the only discs it came with were a Driver Recovery CD, 2 Application Rec CDs and 3 System Rec CDs. Can I use those? If yes then which do I use first.

ok i'm gonna try and reformat but I dont have the winXP CD. I have a Sony VAIO and the only discs it came with were a Driver Recovery CD, 2 Application Rec CDs and 3 System Rec CDs. Can I use those? If yes then which do I use first.

Recovery processes are just iffy...that is why I make sure I own a raw install cd. if your machine is under warrenty, call them and ask what you need to do to reinstall from scratch.

ALSO, in the meantime. you need to make sure you have a good antivirus software and spyware software on it.

What do you have?

Also, are you patching your computer EACH month on or between the 2nd Wednesday and 2nd Friday of the month?

If you have stuff on your computer you want to recover, a good program to try and use is SUPERAntiSpyware. I've found it to work a whole lot better then Spybot and the typical well known programs. Then do a full virus scan using NOD32, which I think you can still download for a 30 day trial. Then, as a final touch, download TuneUp 2008, run the scans, like the ones the scan the registry. I've used this 3 step cleanup, and it has proved to be successful on many situations.
At the very least, it'll save you from having to go straight to reformatting your PC until you have everything you need to properly do it.

Yes, TuneUp is a great program, I use it myself. :up:

A good av and spyware scan, plus a few other tools can most likely make it normal again.

Recovery processes are just iffy...that is why I make sure I own a raw install cd. if your machine is under warrenty, call them and ask what you need to do to reinstall from scratch.

ALSO, in the meantime. you need to make sure you have a good antivirus software and spyware software on it.

What do you have?

Also, are you patching your computer EACH month on or between the 2nd Wednesday and 2nd Friday of the month?
You need to read the following threads, these will help you:
Privacy and Security Thread
SHH Home Network and Security Thread
I'm gonna try and borrow my friend's WinXP cd and try reformatting it.

I use Ad-Aware & SpyBot. But I dont always leave it on. I only use it when ever my comp feels like its slow or screwy.

patching?

If you have stuff on your computer you want to recover, a good program to try and use is SUPERAntiSpyware. I've found it to work a whole lot better then Spybot and the typical well known programs. Then do a full virus scan using NOD32, which I think you can still download for a 30 day trial. Then, as a final touch, download TuneUp 2008, run the scans, like the ones the scan the registry. I've used this 3 step cleanup, and it has proved to be successful on many situations.
At the very least, it'll save you from having to go straight to reformatting your PC until you have everything you need to properly do it.
I'll look into those. Thanks.

Whenever I see a system that has been infiltrated, I usually recommend getting data off the machine, and rebuild it. You never know if the system av and spyware software can trully clean the system.

The proper solution is to throw away your PC and buy a new one. Problem solved.

ok so i ran the SuperAntiSpyware and NOD32 and now my comp seems to be ok. But i'm still going to reformat once I get a damn WinXP CD.

Thanks for the help guys.:woot: :woot: :woot:

do a clean format. No backing up your files. Want a picture? Screenshot it and do a direct upload. Want a text document? Copy paste into and email. Other then that, sorry kid you lost everything.

If it ends up being too much,you might end up having to take it to your local computer shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"